50th Special Simulcast

shezzzzz
shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
I don't have cable TV, and was so happy to hear they were selling tickets to see the special in theaters. I'm sad to say that tickets for my area sold out in less than 5 minutes, but I did get tickets to see the re-broadcast on Monday night.

Dr Who in 3D on a big screen!! Now that is something to get excited about!!

Anyone else going?

Replies

• I'm going to the Monday showing too. :glasses: I was so excited to find out that they were having one where I live. I was actually thinking about doing a weekend trip to Houston (4 hours away) to go to that screening on Saturday. Tickets ended up being more expensive, but cheaper overall in the long run doing it this way. :drinker:
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    We've got tickets for our local cinema's simulcast. I will go bat-**** crazy if they screw it up!
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    I was going to go on the Saturday, but it's my daughter's birthday party. So Monday night it is with my 2 very best friends!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    I'd like to but the hubby won't go with me and I don't have any local Whovians to go with. Not sure it would be as much fun by myself. But looking forward to the special in a big way!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm going by myself. *shrug*

I was waivering on if I even wanted to see it in the theatres because I'm easily annoyed by people but finally broke down.

I'm actually sort of disappointed in my local Whovians because only one screen (it's being shown on two screens) sold out and I bought my ticket well after the weekend after the tickets went on sale).

But it's the TARDIS in 3D and they'll be showing a behind the scenes thingy so I eventually couldn't resist! :smile:
  • spud_chick
    Going after all, 3D tickets are on the fridge :)
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    We were going to plan our entire Wedding Anniversary Weekend around the 50th Anniversary simulcast, but the we didn't want to go to Atlanta for our Anniversary. (We were just there in September for DragonCon.)

We are going on Monday. :)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    I nearly bought tickets... but all there was was right up at the front and £25 for a sore neck and eyes not worth it. Was so excited about the 3D as well :( they only seem to be showing it here at the same time as its on tv. No extra days or times :(
    Oh well will be popcorn and drinks at home instead :D Cant wait! :D
    x
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    And today they are posting that it will air on Nov. 23rd on BBC1 - meaning we have to avoid spoilers until the 25th theater showings??? I thought the whole point was airing/showing it on the same day.
  • glassyo
    And today they are posting that it will air on Nov. 23rd on BBC1 - meaning we have to avoid spoilers until the 25th theater showings??? I thought the whole point was airing/showing it on the same day.

Do you have BBC America? it's being simulcast on Nov 23rd.

My plans are to dvr it, make sure it magically finds it way onto my computer since I don't trust BBC America to actually show it uncut when they say they are, watch it in the privacy of my own home where I won't be disturbed. And then go see it in the movie theatre on Monday in all its 3D glory (hopefully enjoying it since it's actually my first 3D movie).
  • spud_chick

Do you have BBC America? it's being simulcast on Nov 23rd.

My plans are to dvr it, make sure it magically finds it way onto my computer since I don't trust BBC America to actually show it uncut when they say they are, watch it in the privacy of my own home where I won't be disturbed. And then go see it in the movie theatre on Monday in all its 3D glory (hopefully enjoying it since it's actually my first 3D movie).

This sounds a lot like my plan. Normally I could take or leave 3d but since they actually filmed it in 3d it seemed worth the trouble.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    We don't have BBC America, no cable, but usually find stuff online. :wink:

Just confused why it's in theaters 2 days later, kinda makes me wish I hadn't dropped the cash for tickets, although it will still be awesome to see it on the big screen.

AND - new trailer released early on BBC Latin America!

http://doctorwhobrasil.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1-BBC-Entertainment-Latinoamérica.mp4
  • glassyo
    I'm in Los Angeles county and I think only 2 theatres not so near me are showing it on the 23rd.

And LOL I just saw the trailer via a poster on the imdb's tumblr site. I'm just a touch more excited now! :smile:
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    I'm in Los Angeles county and I think only 2 theatres not so near me are showing it on the 23rd.

Closest showing for the 23rd is 2.5 hour drive away. Boo.
  • musiqueange
    musiqueange Posts: 64 Member
    I went last night to a 10 PM showing. Lots of people dressed up! (I did, too, but didn't feel like talking to anyone). We got there just late enough that we were forced to sit in the front row and UGH. My eyes.
  • spud_chick
    Yeah, I thought we were getting there absurdly early but the stadium seats were full and the only way to get in the middle (best for 3D) was three rows back. My eyes ran like faucets the whole time but the projection quality was excellent so that helped.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    OK, I was only able to watch it on TV ....... but it was the best time I had all week ....... even though my husband kept talking through the whole thing :grumble: .......

Thank goodness it's recorded :heart:
  • spud_chick
    'Doctor Who' screening stuns at Monday box office, No. 2 after 'Catching Fire'

"A special nationwide 3D screening of the Doctor Who 50th anniversary TV special “Day of the Doctor” grossed a stunning $4.8 million at the U.S. box office."

more at http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/26/doctor-who-box-office/
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    This isn't about the simulcast ..... but didn't want to start a new topic .....

Last night I watched the "Farewell to Matt Smith" ..... and then the Christmas special ...... although he wasn't my favorite Doctor, I grew to appreciate him ....... surprised at how upset I got ...... good thing I had a box of tissues nearby :sad:

Mary Ann
  • chris0513
    chris0513 Posts: 1 Member
    I know what you mean. I didn't get emotional the first time watching on air, (maybe I was in denial) but the second time really hit home for me. :'(