Surviving the Holidays!!

Options
This has got to be the toughest time of the year to lose weight. Some of us will try to eat less, some of us will try to exercise more, some of us will hit the reset button on January 1st!

I'm going to try and make sure all my meals are balanced and the right portions! I'm going to exercise at least 30 minutes a day 5 days a week! I'm going to keep my carb count down to 60 grams a meal! I'm going to make the holidays more about friends and family than about food!

What are you going to do!

Replies

• MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    That's a GREAT way to put it! " I'm going to make the holidays more about friends and family than about food!" I like it!

I am doing my regular workout schedule and I may toss in an extra workout and maybe an extra walk or two, but nothing crazy. I'm going to try and make healthier choices and take smaller portions this week (except Thursday), so that I can splurge a bit on Turkey day (I have 2 dinners to go to!)

Happy Thanksgiving!!
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking that I need some type of challenge to get me through the holidays. :) Not one where someone is pounding on your day if you miss a day, but some goals to shoot for and accountability to report back to. Hmm... may need to check for something because I have got to reign it in and get back on track instead of letting the holidays throw me off completely!

I am trying to get started on Stronglifts 5x5, although each time I get a rhythm going, I get sick, fall down a flight of stairs, get busy with grad school... lol. What's one more try... :) Good luck, everyone!
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I hope I am able to eat less but I expect I will be one of the people trying to work out more...
  • josemanning
    josemanning Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hope you had a great Turkey Day!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Ok we are in Christmas party season around here (sorry if you don't celebrate Christmas) lots of potlucks going on and I am trying to find healthier options to bring in...today I brought in a fruit platter to go with the cookies, donuts, fudge and candy...

Any healthy-ish recipes for next weeks Christmas potluck at work?
  • edgellc
    edgellc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As for potluck, the library I work out of usually provides a full meal with meats, breads, then the employees bring the veggies (which are usually few) and sweets. This is hard to do endure because most veggies must be served warm. I found in my recipe box one recipe for marinated vegetables. I think the marinade would work well with single veggies like asparagus or green beans, instead of mixing the veggies, as in the recipe.

Personally, I didn't survive Thanksgiving. I gained eight pounds! Fortunately I was able to lose six of it already. I am counting calories after falling off the wagon in the dietary sense. I have a long way to go in terms of weight loss, and I always seem to be gaining more than losing. I'm on that roller coaster ride of gaining and losing. Lucky for me there is only one big meal I'm having to attend. Unlucky are the small get-togethers. So far mostly around coffee.

But what do you do about drinks? Drinking is calorically expensive, and slows down the digestion? So many of my friends return to this old college town over the holidays and I don't want to miss any of them. Mocktails?
  • midwestdawn
    midwestdawn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    About the drinks...flavored vodka in diet soda (either cola or Diet Sprite) is yummy and not too bad on calories.
  • BeingWellAware
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself if you indulged during the holiday season. Lapses happen. The key is to know that tomorrow is a brand new day to re-set and get back on track.