IIFYM & Inputting Exercise

Options
So, I'm trying to figure out how to perfect my tracking within MFP. I know that my macros already include my activity levels, so I guess there is no real reason to input your total caloric burn into MFP? (I use a Polar FT4 watch that gives me my calories burned while doing cardio & weight training).

I know that since I customize my macros based on percentages in the Goals area, that it messes up my net calories and ends up giving me higher numbers to hit because of that caloric expenditure...

SO, common sense would be not to input it... but I'm curious how everyone else does it? I've only been doing IIFYM for about 3 mos now and just figured out I can personalize my macro goals in 5% increments...

How about handing carb cycling? I'm thinking of starting to introduce that but it seems messy going in and changing my macros daily?

Any ideas? Suggestions? Please and thank you!! :)

Replies

• rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I add in activities but only hit my macros that I pre set. Unless there is pizza involved than I eat all those macros back ;-) j/k
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You are correct. Logging or synching exercise calories through Polar FT4 just messes up your total allowed macros for the day. There is no reason, since following IIFYM you should be consuming around TDEE. That being said, I sync my Jawbone UP, but this was a mistake from when I initially purchased it (it raises my allowed macros as well, and I've just been too lazy to delete it. I know my macros in my head, so it doesn't really bother me).

As far as carb cycling, you may get mixed feedback. I used to carb cycle and do lower carb on off days, but I've since kept my macros consistent, and have seen far better results, both in training and body comp. Honestly, I don't see any benefit to it. Unless your training suffers and you are unable to keep your intensity throughout, carb cycling will have no metabolic benefit, as it is really your weekly totals that will matter. I keep my carbs above 350g every day, even off days.

Hope that helps.
  • shann0nmarie
    Options
    Yes! Thank you so much! A guy friend of mine said to try adding carb cycling as well but I've been doing just fine with IIFYM and set daily carbs and carb cycling seems to be a headache to track so I think I'll just stick with what's easiest since I've been having good results with it.

Appreciate your response!!
  • Erod1972
    Erod1972 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here is a script I copied from another IIFYM friend that adjusts goals in 1% increments, hope this helps :-)

http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/
  • blaqpepa
    blaqpepa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Here is a script I copied from another IIFYM friend that adjusts goals in 1% increments, hope this helps :-)

http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/

Thanks for the script! Exactly what I needed