Can someone please explain the rational for this bike?

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
Right...

Have a look at this:

1392782_773739289309264_236254723_n.jpg

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBOOFATX52/on_one_fatty_fat_bike

Explain why would you buy a bike like this and why?

Mountain biking guru-ness guidance required... :laugh:

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For riding on Snow

To look "cool"

N+1
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    For riding on Snow

On Snow? Is that it? So for £1000 it comes out a few times a year? :huh:

With the size of those tyres I bet you could ride across a pond on it? :laugh:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Sand maybe?
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Isn't that what people said about 29ers when they first came out?

On a side note, I have a friend that works for Salsa cycles doing demos and whatnot, and he loves riding these fatty's in the snow and loose stuff. The fact that you can ride the really low pressure adds quite a bit of traction.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    We rented some this weekend and they are so much fun! We had some snow on the trail and it plowed right through it. Beyond that, they handle like a dream and are just plain fun! You can ride them all year round but for those of us who have a lot of snow in the winter, it means we don't have to quit riding in the winter. My BF is obsessed with getting one and my mom is secretly getting my dad a 9 zero 7 for xmas. He is going to pee his pants. Watching them on those bikes this weekend was like watching two little 8 year olds playing around. They were giggling and having a blast. Isn't that what we love about all bikes?!

Seriously, the second you get on one and ride it, you just have to smile.

0f497930-aa16-4461-be65-6c7c76547b6b_zps1ab46dc2.jpg

My two favorite "little" boys.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Snow and sand. And in Colorado it isn't a "few times a year" it's a good 4 months of the year of snow.

Or, during road trips to Mexico:

602316_10152044116571368_583602415_n.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    In the UK - frankly, it pretty much escapes me why you'd want one either - I know the idea is that the gumbo tyres provide enough "suspension" that you can ride fully-rigid, and you could always fit "normal" wheels on there for things like 24h races and have something light but with phenomenal mud-clearance...

But the whole "riding in snow" thing... unless you live up in the highlands of Scotland, there's maybe 5 days a year when we get snow cover... doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    In the UK - it doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid.

My thoughts exactly, but I was willing to listen to some wisdom from some gnarly MTB'er :laugh:
  • sansey
    sansey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I own a Salsa Mukluk. Its is a fat bike like you are asking about. I love it. I ride it often. It is awesome in snow and sand and mud and everything else. The tires are big and act like suspension when you are really riding a rigid bike. Ir will roll over nearly anything and I think it gives me more confidence that any of my 29ers that makes riding that much more fun. And comparatively speaking they are pretty inexpensive.

Of all the bikes I own it might be my favorite and I ride it in any and every condition and it is fun.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Looks like a kids bike for adults - with an adult price to go with it.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wait, wha? Didn't they say the same thing about the first mountain bikes? (just kids bikes for adults). It's called variety, friends. The spice of life and all that jazz. I "stole" a friend's Surly Pugsley one fine wintry morn and smooshed my way thru 4-6" of fresh powder at my local offroad haunt (logs, g-outs, drops, climbs, whatnot). The bike completely changed my perspective of the trail - one I had practically memorized over the years. It was the most fun I've had in snow ever. I felt like a kid again. I couldn't stop smiling. (I think my face was actually frozen, but hey.) Yes, it's a fetish bike and not very practical for 95% of cyclists out there (including me), but it's a bike worth experiencing at least once. Just for the hell of it.
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There are a few people that ride them for Strathpuffer usually as single speeds, seem to grip the ice well despite the lack of spikes and the low pressure adds some comfort for the 24hrs. The rigid forks are also a benefit for 24hr racing as most forks have <24hr service intervals... Which reminds me I should send mine off before my next 24hr race which just happens to be the 'Puffer

The lower pressures and higher contact patch also lead to less erosion of the surface when used on normal trails.

All that said I've never ridden one, preffer traditional XC bikes.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Sounds like in London they are more for looks and for mud but here in Montana where winter came a month ago and will last until May, they are great bikes. I'm trying to see if I can fit it in my D-1 collection but since I've got a pretty nice mountain bike, my wife is currently counting it as D, not D-1. (For those new to the group, D-1 is the maximum number of bikes you can own before your spouse divorces you.). :bigsmile:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Because they are fun! :D
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    @ StuAblett - And what other reason do you need right? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    Because they are fun! :D

This is the only necessary rationale.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I would think these could be awesome in an ever-changing, never-smooth urban environment.

I'm sure they're a blast to ride down a mountain - but I'm curious how hard it is to peddle one of these *up* the mountain in the first place...?
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    They make slick tires for urban riding, and new carbon fiber frames/rims have the weights down below 23lbs! That's insane!

I'd had a fat bike for over 3 years now, I love it dearly. Fun year round. I have no desire to go back to my full suspension 29er.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    I would think these could be awesome in an ever-changing, never-smooth urban environment.

I'm sure they're a blast to ride down a mountain - but I'm curious how hard it is to peddle one of these *up* the mountain in the first place...?

It's just like going up on a regular mtn bike. There aren't as heavy as you'd expect them to be.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    They make slick tires for urban riding, and new carbon fiber frames/rims have the weights down below 23lbs! That's insane!

Can you recommend a couple of makes/models along those lines? I'm really intrigued by the idea of not having to screw around with suspension components.