1st 5k tomorrow, advice please.

Options
shurleec
shurleec Posts: 99 Member
Hello, I signed up for my first 5k assuming I would be done with the program. However after a small break I jumped back into and finished week 5 yesterday (very proud of myself. I ran the whole 20 min and for the first time in my life ran a mile, almost 2 without stopping). I am now wondering if I should just go for it and try to run the 3.1 miles. Anyone else jumped into a 5k without finishing the program?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Replies

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Go at your speed and you'll be surprised how the adrenaline will carry you and the feeling when you cross the finish line...you will experience it for yourself! Good luck and enjoy it!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can. If you don't run the whole thing, don't worry about it.
    Or, just for fun, use the 5k for your daily routine.
    I did my first 5k a couple of weeks before I finished the program and ended up walking a couple of times to catch my breath. I still finished and will do better in my next 5k.
    Have fun!

ETA: Congrats on your progress so far! Keep it up!
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was thinking I would at least run 20 min (since I know I can do it now) then just see how I feel. I've never ran outside, and it is suppose to be really cold so I guess I'll just wing it.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was about 6 weeks before I did my first 5K and I surprised myself. The excitement will keep you going, just take it at a slow pace and have fun! If you need to walk then walk.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My advice is the same as everybody else's: Go slow and pace yourself. Walk if you need to walk. You'll have a lot of fun and be more motivated to finish and do better during your next race.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My advice is the same as everybody else's: Go slow and pace yourself. Walk if you need to walk. You'll have a lot of fun and be more motivated to finish and do better during your next race.

^^^^ this. Have fun!

I'm running my first 5k tomorrow too. It's also going to be the coldest I've ever run in, and I've discovered there are hills!!!