Turkey trot-My first official 5K

Options
kimstwin
kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
I am excited and scared, but I have registered to run my first 5K this thanksgiving morning! I finished C25K a couple months ago, and have been running for at least 6 months. I hope to clock at less than 40 minutes, which I know is slow, but is fast for me. 6 months ago, I could not run a mile, now I can run nearly five miles.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My first running 5k (pushing a stroller) was 40 minutes, so I'm also hoping to beat that time. Especially since I should be running alone this time. Thanksgiving runs are good ones for a first - there's going to be a lot of walkers. I'll think of you on Thursday!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on doing a Turkey Trot Thursday, just to motivate me to get out there and run!
  • cdh5068
    Options
    My first is a turkey trot on Saturday, we're both gonna do great! All my friends who run tell me how addictive races are, so let's hope it's our first of many. Good luck and have fun!
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am excited and scared, but I have registered to run my first 5K this thanksgiving morning! I finished C25K a couple months ago, and have been running for at least 6 months. I hope to clock at less than 40 minutes, which I know is slow, but is fast for me. 6 months ago, I could not run a mile, now I can run nearly five miles.

Have fun!! I'm doing my first one tomorrow too. I'm a little concerned by how cold it's going to be and I've discovered there are some hills on the course. On my home routes I average 42 mins but I'm not holding out much hope for that tomorrow.

I see you're in Florida too!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Excellent! - I think you'll be surprised just how well you do in your race. I started C25K in June, did my first race in August, and two more since then, improving my PR each time. My race times always seem like a good minute or two faster then my training runs, even when I'm pushing myself. The psychology of it, and having others around you running is a good motivator. I didn't sign up for a Turkey Trot, but will be running tomorrow morning anyways in temps around 25 or so. Should be fun.
  • besdais
    besdais Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome! I'm just trying to get through week 3, but I'm determined. I bet you did great!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I went for a bike ride on Thanksgiving instead of running a 5k. It was COLD!

I did run about 3 miles on Saturday (followed by 26 on the bike!)
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did ok. My goal was under 40 minutes, and I ran it in 40:11. I think it was good because it was 32 degrees and I was fighting a cold. I'm excited to run another in January to see how I do!