How Many Calories?

Options
So I am in my soft foods phase and was told to eat only when hungry and that I can have 3 meals and 1 snack. I rarely ever eat a snack, and if I do its like a bite or so of cottage cheese. I know that with the bypass I will have the MFP warning of being under calories but I wanted to know how many calories do you consume in a day?

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had a Sleeve done 9/26 and have gradually walked my calories up from around 400 to 1,100 due to the progression of food allowed. In the soft food phase I was below 750 with almost half coming from shakes. Now I am able to eat most any food and my daily totals are around 1,100.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks post op from the sleeve and getting 600-700 calories. I SHOULD be getting 1000 per my bariatic coord. It just won't fit yet.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm 14 months post op from RNY. When I was in your phase I was around 600. And yes I got that message all the time!!
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Similar to the other posts here, when starting soft foods I was at about 600-700. Now, 3 months post bypass I'm about 1000.
    Slow, steady, chew chew chew!!!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am 5 weeks post sleeve surgery. I can't eat only when I am hungry because I really don't get hungry. I pretty much eat/drink by schedule. I am still in the soft foods phase, and I am usually at 600-700 calories, although I might have to find a way to increase that because I started at the gym again and I burn anywhere from 300 to 600 calories when I am there.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm about 4 months post op and my calories have been slowly creeping up from about 400-500 at first to about 800-850 now. My nut still tells me not to count calories, just focus on protein. I usually get 70-80 grams per day. Some still comes from shakes but I'm trying to get as much protein from food as I can.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm still in my soft foods phase too (two weeks post GB) and was wondering about this myself. I am averaging between 400-700 calories a day. I got the same advice as far as 3 meals, small snack if I want one (not really). I just ignore the MFP warning at the end of the day. I have it set on 1100 calories, but for now I think it would be impossible to meet that. I know that will come in the future as I move through the phases. I feel very good, am keeping up with my vitamins, protein, and liquids -so I'm not going to worry about the calories for now.
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a given calorie amount. I'm in the soft foods phase of the process and I couldn't eat more than 800 calories if I tried. My nutritionist for the surgery said not to be concerned with calories until more foods are added to the diet. Even at that point she said as long as I eat the right things not to be worried about it. Pre-op I had a 1800 calorie limit and I think I'll stick with that as I had great results with it, although with the VSG I don't know if I will get up to that amount.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have logged every last bite for something like 440 days now, so I know exactly what I've eaten. I weigh every last thing -- weighing is much more accurate than measuring cups. Much, much more accurate. I find that most people who don't lose what they'd like to are simply guessing at portions. It is so easy to go over if you are guesstimating.

Having said that, for the first eight months after RNY I averaged 1,040 calories per day. Between eight and eleven months I gradually increased to 1500 calories. I reached my goal weight of 185, with a BMI of 23, at 12 months, and started increasing calories for long term maintenance. My weight has been the same for three months now, and I eat 2,400 calories a day. Because people always want to compare apples and oranges, I am 6' 3", and daily weigh-ins vary between 183 and 186.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    3 years post RNY. I eat 900 - 1400 cal depending on day and exercise.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    At that point, I was eating roughly 600 calories, but I wasn't focusing on that. My NUT also said to make the protein a priority. I aimed for 60 -80 gm per day of protein, and the rest just came. Now, at almost a year out, I eat between 1000 - 1200 daily and it work for me. Protein is still my friend. Try not to focus to much on the eating three meals, and focus more on what my body needs. I also weigh my food, as it is a better measure in my opinion. Good luck on your journey!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I went to my 6 week post surgery check up yesterday. I met with my surgeon's PA and we talked about food, calories, etc. She said that down the road she would like to see me at 1200 calories, but for now, the 600-ish I am getting is fine because I am hitting my protein goals and that is the most important thing right now.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Never counted calories for 3 years only grams protein, water calcium. Still do not really count calories. If I get sufficient protein, there ino room for carbs. Protein first, green vegetables if room, and finally a bit of fruit if needing a bit of sweet
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Just so I'm aware. (6 weeks post-op) I get full quickly, so my highest caloric day was 428. I know I should get more protein in too, but my dr office just isn't concerned. They don't encourage protein shakes and I feel fine. I cant wait until my first f/u bloodwork done in a couple of weeks. That may tell the tale.
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just went back through my food logs and I barely reached 150 calories a day the entire first month. Granted, the first three weeks was all liquid and/or sugar free jello but I couldn't have eaten more even if I wanted too..........I am now almost a year and half post op from RNY and I barely reach 1000 calories most days. I eat tons of protein and avoid processed foods as much as possible. I have no idea how other people are able to eat so much more having had the same surgery, but it seems to vary widely.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 days post-op for the sleeve and I consume about 500 calories a day (2 Bariatric Advantage protein shakes made with low carb skim milk). I can bump it up to 600 if I add PB2 to my shakes.

I can't wait to reach the soft food phase (Dec 11). I miss cottage cheese!
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am 7 months post-op RNY and I only get 500-600 most days. I'm confused how so many of you can eat so much more than I was ever able to lol. It's crazy how everyone is so different! However, I don't pay too much attention to the calories, mainly my protein intake as well as fat/sugar.
  • punkin175
    Options
    I am just over 5 mos post op and I feel like I can eat so much. If I dont log my calories, I am sure I get more than 1100 cals. It worries me. I know I am eating more than "typical" at this point. I have tried to get info from my dieticians and my surgeons, but they just keep telling me to focus on the protein also. I dont feel like there is a lot of information out there for when this happens. I have an appt on the 17th and I really really want to know what I should be doing. I am a ship lost at sea right now and i dont want to screw this up!!!

Anybody who can relate?
  • tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am just over 5 mos post op and I feel like I can eat so much. If I dont log my calories, I am sure I get more than 1100 cals. It worries me. I know I am eating more than "typical" at this point. I have tried to get info from my dieticians and my surgeons, but they just keep telling me to focus on the protein also. I dont feel like there is a lot of information out there for when this happens. I have an appt on the 17th and I really really want to know what I should be doing. I am a ship lost at sea right now and i dont want to screw this up!!!

Anybody who can relate?

I can relate. It seems that on some days I get close to 900 cals, but I also notice that on those days it is more of what I have drunk then what I have eaten. I have a hard time with the high protein/low carb diet, it is hard to get past the mind set of not having carbs when that is what you are used to eating. I also find it hard that we try to eat non-processed foods as much as possible so that means very little "light" or "fat free" stuff. I also have a hard time when we sit down to eat and it seems like I can eat more then a cup and on those days I feel really ashamed, but my doctor says I need to, not look at that and look at the fact that I have cut almost all snacking out of my diet, and that I am still losing weight. I just know I need to make better choices when it comes to my protein and getting it in without the carbs!