Not losing weight but in ketosis

Options
Hi all, I am wondering if maybe some of the veteran ketoers could help me out here. I have been on the Keto diet for at least 3 months. In the beginning I struggled to get into ketosis (probably because I was having a few too many little snacks) but I have been in ketosis for at least a month or so now. The problem is that I am still not losing any weight and I have no idea why. Is it possible to be in ketosis, keeping your net carbs at about 20g/day and still not losing weight? This is not a plateau as I never lost any weight in the beginning or even any water weight, but if I actually did it was negligible.

If things don't start changing soon, I am going to have to work on finding something that will work for me but I don't think I can go back to a lot of carbs as they don't make me feel very good. I am at a total loss as to where I could go from Keto...I have done weight watchers and all that crap which I hated. I actually like Keto and can stick with it (well if I could actually see even slight results)

Any thoughts or recommendations would much appreciated! :)

Replies

• HealthyHappyWealthyWise
    Options
    Check your calories, portion sizes (weigh ingredients), and your water intake. You can be in ketosis by controlling your carbs, but fat and protein calories still count.

If those are in line? Get your doctor to test your TSH and free T4 levels.
  • legal_lady28
    legal_lady28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do watch my portion sizes and weigh everything that I can. I think I am getting enough water, and going to the bathroom constantly. I have had my thyroid checked and they say it is fine...so I am at a loss as to why it's not working. It seems that I can't really find anyone that has my issue that they haven't lost any weight from the start and are in ketosis. Most people have lost weight and just get into a stall or plateau which I can understand if that was my case but its not.
  • Melfleming1
    Melfleming1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Are you eating enough? (your diary is closed) I know I was really struggling to lose one pound. I got some great advice and upped my calories along with lowering my protein and upping my fat. I started losing immediately. I'm definitely not a veteran ketoer but thought I would share my experience.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    How do your pants fit? How does your bra fit? The scale lies. The scale is evil. Go by inches.
  • organizedchaos9
    Options
    Hey there, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem and what that solution was. I'm having the exact same issue! Thanks so much.
  • Nicole65
    Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, though I did lose 4lbs the first week. I'm over 4 weeks in now and the scale hasn't moved, and my clothes don't feel any different either.... I'm probably giving the diet another 2-3 weeks before I switch to something else as well.
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Following as well. .. in ketosis (based on sticks not blood meter) but no loss. . Feeling great so no complaints but I have 60 lbs to lose so deff not close to my goal. .. and about 45-50% body fat. I cut back on the amount of fat I'm eating to see if this will make a difference. Burning fat off my body hopefully not just from what I'm ingesting.
  • delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - Don't take all of the advice you read on the forums for gospel. Yes, I know this will ruffle some feathers! I am a Science and Medical Profession and even I don't know all the answers. I will tell you this, from years of experience, what works for one person may not work for another. There are no "Magic" macros for Ketosis. Yes, it is a great way to loose weight and return to good health. I went through Cancer treatment years ago and was blessed with being educated by a nutritionist at Duke University. I can assure you that a Ketosis lifestyle is healthy. I can also tell you that it takes some "Controlled Study" of your own physiology to find what works. It's not as complicated as it sounds. There are some bad ways to introduce yourself to Keto and some really good ways. That first three or four weeks, if done right, will help you learn what you need to do to succeed.
  • huneydrop
    Options
    I think this is good advice, everyone is different and what works for me might now work for you. The one thing I keep hearing though is that if you are truly struggling (ie: you're not just eating 5000 cal a day and you're staying in your macros of at least 60% fat) you should up your fat and reduce your protein. I have been doing trial and error here for quite awhile and still trying to figure out the best macros for my body, it seems to be quite stubborn. I am now trying 70-75% fat and 15-20% protein, we shal see what happens but I've read of some people needing to go to 80% fat.......... Don't even know how I could do that.
    It is frustrating I know!!!