Two 5x5 workouts a week?

Options
Hey everyone! Looking for some feedback from you. I am currently in the midst of a 1/2 marathon training program that has me training M, W, Th, Sat with an dedicated rest day for recovery on Sunday. But I'm also ready to start some weight lifting and I'm sold on 5X5. Here's my question, I realize that it won't be as effective as a three times a week approach, but does anyone else do strong lifts twice a week? The only time I have to train is in the early morning (between 4:30 and 6:00 am) so that leaves me with Tuesday and Friday for lifting with a dedicated rest day on Sunday.

Your thoughts will be appreciated!

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Can only offer an opinion as I have only trained 3 times a week as per programmed, but something is better than nothing. So my guess would be to do something like workout A on Tuesday and workout B on Friday of each week. Since the weight won't be heavy for several weeks, you should fly through the program as your main focus will be on form. At some point in time, after a few weeks, the weight will start to become heavier, especially on squats and this might affect your marathon training...but maybe at that time, you will have completed the Marathon and it now be a moot issue. When your marathon training is over, then get into the three day a week schedule with the alternating workouts to increase the needed volume and frequency the program calls for.

With all of the running and now added weight training, I would make sure my diet was dialed in. If you have never strength trained or it's been a while and you are getting back into it, you will make what's called newbie gains in strength and muscle. Having calories available to your body will help with growth and mainly recovery (again once the weight starts getting tough). If your goal is weight loss, then keep your calorie deficit to a minimum and protein up. There are plenty of stickies on the other forums that goes through setting macro-nutrient goals for your daily consumption.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me.
    I don't strictly do M-W-F. I started off doing every other day but now that the weight has increased I usually take 2 days off between each workout.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    And I agree with the previous post, hit your macros and eat a surplus.
  • corsairpro
    Options
    Mixing programs that are designed for endurance and strength should be OK for a while if you start SL 5x5 as recommend (i.e. the empty bar). As weights increase, your marathon training will impact your recovery from lifting heavier weights.

I would recommend that you listen to your body and when you start failing reps, deload more quickly and decrease incremental increases (i.e. invest in 1.25 # plates) so that you can at least continue linear progression.