Had my metabolic rate tested. Have some questions!

Options
So I had my metabolic rate tested. I rested on a table while breathing into a mask for about 15 minutes. Then sat in the bod pod then walked on a treadmill while breathing into a mask and wearing a hrm.

The conclusion was that my RMR is around 2300 calories. This is without exercise... Just daily living and going to work.
They told me I should eat around 1800 calories a day for a 1lb loss per week.

I'm 5'4 195lbs 42%bf and would like to get down to 130-140 or 20-22%bf. (I haven't been thin since I was 14 so I don't really know what to aim for) I just want to be healthy, not have so much jigglyness, feel good in clothes/bathing suit/naked. Lol

I like to lift heavy weights. I don't really enjoy cardio although I will do it for 30 minutes or less.

So my question is if I'm already eating 1700-1800 a day with no exercise, will I have to eat more when I do workout? I've read all the tdee threads and whatnot but when I go to those calculators I'm told that I burn about 2300 a day INCLUDING my workouts. So I'm totally confused.

Replies

• Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Track your intake and your weight and see what happens over a month's time, and you will know where to go from there. If I were you, I'd start with around 2200 a day, with around 195 g protein and the rest carbs and fats, and see what my weight does. If you were to add two sessions of HIIT per week for about 30 minutes each (including warmup and cool down) it would be fine. I know that's pretty conservative, but you don't have to do it all right away, and the more you know about yourself, the easier this whole process gets.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Well, I forgot I should just let Sara or SideSteel comment. Sorry about that.
  • sperlifts
    Options
    Bump :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    An RMR test should give an RMR reading - they then estimated from that the 2300 calories for daily life with no exercise.
    But 2300 is NOT RMR. That is non-exercise TDEE you might say. Estimated unless you wore that face mask all day doing normal non-exercise activity, which is possible, but doubtful - and expensive.

That you got an RMR and Bodpod at same time is great.

That will tell you if the RMR is around where expected for your amount of LBM.

Look at your paperwork again for the RMR test, and find the actual RMR reading. Is should be slightly more than the BMR values you found on those websites.

The go to the paperwork for the Bodpod test, and find the actual LBM reading. (side point, Bodpod estimates RMR also based on LBM and a formula no one else seems to use - curious what they say calculated RMR is?)

Cunningham RMR = 22 x LBM in KG + 500

How does that Cunningham RMR based on LBM compared to the RMR test figure?
    Mainly curious, but you'd want to use the RMR test figure for basis for math.

So remember that any site you use for TDEE levels that only asks for gender, age, height, weight, is starting with a BMR that is NOT based on BF%.

Which you now have a better estimate of based on actual tested RMR. And I know of no site that bases TDEE levels on tested RMR.

Edited suggestions out.
    But still curious on results of calculations between tests.
  • sperlifts
    Options
    An RMR test should give an RMR reading - they then estimated from that the 2300 calories for daily life with no exercise.
    But 2300 is NOT RMR. That is non-exercise TDEE you might say. Estimated unless you wore that face mask all day doing normal non-exercise activity, which is possible, but doubtful - and expensive.

That you got an RMR and Bodpod at same time is great.

That will tell you if the RMR is around where expected for your amount of LBM.

Look at your paperwork again for the RMR test, and find the actual RMR reading. Is should be slightly more than the BMR values you found on those websites.

The go to the paperwork for the Bodpod test, and find the actual LBM reading. (side point, Bodpod estimates RMR also based on LBM and a formula no one else seems to use - curious what they say calculated RMR is?)

Cunningham RMR = 22 x LBM in KG + 500

How does that Cunningham RMR based on LBM compared to the RMR test figure?
    Mainly curious, but you'd want to use the RMR test figure for basis for math.

So remember that any site you use for TDEE levels that only asks for gender, age, height, weight, is starting with a BMR that is NOT based on BF%.

Which you now have a better estimate of based on actual tested RMR. And I know of no site that bases TDEE levels on tested RMR.

Edited suggestions out.
    But still curious on results of calculations between tests.

I got 1,617 with that calculation. The actual rmr reading was 1822 from the test
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    So my question is if I'm already eating 1700-1800 a day with no exercise, will I have to eat more when I do workout? I've read all the tdee threads and whatnot but when I go to those calculators I'm told that I burn about 2300 a day INCLUDING my workouts. So I'm totally confused.

Gonna toss my 2 cents in since I had my RMR tested (using different methods for a study) and what the base RMR they give you doesn't include any exercise (or other calories from various functions) so technically you would eat that back.. BUT Remember these are just numbers they are giving you, its not 100% accurate (but its as close as you can for cheap) so if your eating an amount currently and losing lets say 1 lb per week, stay where you are.. If your way under that number (1700 or 1800 whichever one they gave you) try eating more.. its really an experiment..
    So really you should ask yourself at your current food intake, are you losing weight (if you want to lose weight)?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

So really you should ask yourself at your current food intake, are you losing weight (if you want to lose weight)?

This is essentially the question you should be asking yourself.

Regardless of what the test tells you, what does your previous food intake (along with your previous activity levels) provide you for change in weight?

You should be looking at your intake history and your results and using that to form a strategy around what potentially needs to change in order to get you the results you want.

For example if you are logging 1900 calories and remaining weight stable, and a test tells you that your RMR is 2200, it would be easy to erroneously conclude that you should eat more calories when the reality is doing so may cause weight gain.
  • sperlifts
    Options

This is essentially the question you should be asking yourself.

Regardless of what the test tells you, what does your previous food intake (along with your previous activity levels) provide you for change in weight?

You should be looking at your intake history and your results and using that to form a strategy around what potentially needs to change in order to get you the results you want.

For example if you are logging 1900 calories and remaining weight stable, and a test tells you that your RMR is 2200, it would be easy to erroneously conclude that you should eat more calories when the reality is doing so may cause weight gain.

Thank you

I just have to take it one day at a time and remember it's not a race and that i want to lose it for good. I don't wanna deprive myself, lose it super fast and then gain it all back.

I have pretty craptastic will power when it comes to eating, but i'm working on it :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well, I forgot I should just let Sara or SideSteel comment. Sorry about that.

lol...no worries. People often do not realize it's in this group when responding. Your main point was the one that I would have made and SideSteel already did....
    Track your intake and your weight and see what happens over a month's time, and you will know where to go from there.

^^this metric is more useful than what an online calculator or even a test shows tbh.