How to watch what you eat, but not make others feel bad?

Options
Bubblecut
Bubblecut Posts: 13 Member
How do you handle social situations where people have provided dishes that are LOADED with calories and you know they would feel bad if you chose not to eat them? I have always tried to eat healthy throughout my life and have always dreaded the "potluck" functions because so many people bring the typical potluck things--calorie rich cakes, cheese-filled items, cheese drenched potatoes... you know what I mean. In a large potluck, you can easily pick & choose and no one gets hurt, but in small potlucks it gets very difficult. I am always the healthy provider--I try to bring a fresh fruit salad or green salad, etc.

I am also not a dessert person, never have been, so after a meal, I typically don't indulge in desserts. People probably don't appreciate that I don't take what they have spent time/money on making. I also know that they are hurt if I don't take their entree, or if I just take a tiny bit.... I find it to be a very uncomfortable situation. Yet, I really don't want to eat all that "stuff."

Anyone else come across these situations?

Replies

• ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the social situation. Is this a work thing? A church thing? A close friends or family thing? That makes a difference in how I'd handle it. If it's work or something similar, just eat what you want and if they nag at you - say you're really here to enjoy the company more than the food. If you don't think that will fly, you can go the "one small bite of most things" route (maybe even just moving them around on your plate to look like you're eating it) while you load up your plate on the healthy stuff. I'd also probably vaguely refer to getting dessert later on but then just never go back for it :) I'm sort of on both sides of this issue - I love to bake horribly sinful desserts, so I am one of "those" people who bring that kind of thing to a potluck (though I do usually try to also bring something healthier to sort of offset it), and I'm delighted if people enjoy it and a little sad if it's not a hit, but since I also am trying to eat more healthily, I totally understand folks who try to find healthy selections to eat and skip the dessert.
    I feel like we're all adults - we should be understanding of both sides. I know that everybody has different things they like and dislike and though I may find it strange (I know somebody who doesn't like chocolate! How is that possible? hahahahahaha ) I'm sure there are things they love that just don't float my boat. Just be as gracious as you can - don't wrinkle up your nose and talk about how unhealthy things are but talk about how beautiful something looks or how much time it must have taken or something. Then it's up to them to be gracious in return and not nag people about what they eat. That's more rude to me than quietly not eating something.
  • Bubblecut
    Options
    Good points Ruthless! I agree we are all adults and I never mention anything about calories or health in regards to what people bring. And, I always compliment the entrees -- how they look, how talented they are to be able to make it, or how EXCELLENT it tastes (even if I hated it). Especially since I am no gourmet cook!

The large work potlucks are no problem--I easily pick/choose and everyone knows that I stay away from unhealthy (I am the one that doesn't touch the bagels or donuts that people bring in some mornings... they are well aware of this for sure and are ok with it). I think my example may have encouraged a few others to follow my lead. Although I don't want to make anyone feel self-conscious or guilty if they enjoy a bagel -- so I certainly don't say anything to any of them.

It's the smaller family/friends potlucks that I struggle with. Everyone knows that I eat healthy, but I still think they feel bad if I don't eat all that stuff. I guess its just gonna have to be that way.

By the way--always looking for healthy ideas to bring to potlucks if anyone has any....
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am lucky (?) in that my family isn't big enough and doesn't live close enough to get together for potlucks. My friends also actually tend to eat pretty healthy when we get together so I don't have a lot of experience with your issue. Sorry!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Are they Truly aware of everything you're eating? Do they ask?
    If their feelings are hurt because you don't eat what they chose, honestly they have the issue. Its nothing against Them, it is food you are choosing not to eat! If they ask you outright then you could say "you chose your calories otherwise but their dish Looks Delicious and you wish you could enjoy them all" I can't imagine a conversation would really need to go beyond that.
  • C1131
    C1131 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel your pain, but from a slightly different source. I have a 'stupid' digestive system that makes me miserable if I eat certain foods (dairy, soy, gluten). I just missed out on the better part of 4 days of my life due to attending a friend's Thanksgiving pot luck--eating only the foods that were specifically presented as 'safe' for me. Was I a sucker or what?

I also find it really challenging to not eat when pressured to. In my case it's not richness, it's when someone has made an effort to prepare things specially, just for me. What I need to do is then grill them on the actual content. *Awkward* Most people are honest, which very often leads to a bad moment when they realize something along the lines of: soy milk is dairy free but contains, er, soy or that chocolate almost always has both dairy and soy. Even worse, typically after several prior *oops* experiences, I get the idea that they are just omitting telling me the ingredients they just realized are not OK--I see a pained look pass over their face as they stumble over an ingredient. Honestly, I don't think ill of them for mistakes because I know how many I've made in my own cooking, but hoo-boy is it uncomfortable either way. Eat it and pay the price or grill them and pay the price socially right there in front of everyone. Yikes!

Also, and more to your point, this is a constant issue for me at family gatherings where there is constant conflict between 'tradition' and food that won't leave me unhappy later. My immediate family members know my food issues, but that doesn't mean that the holiday turkey isn't made in the family tradition of stuffed with real bread cubes and basted with butter & Teriyaki sauce. My father refuses to believe it's actually a problem because none of it touches the meat in the center of the breast--which is what I'm served. I, however, can verify that there is a belly ache after just the turkey meat from the center. I've done experiments at home with just leftover turkey. Realistically, though, I can also understand that if it works for everyone else, why should they make it in a way that no one else likes just to make it work better for me? Is it such a big deal if I have a belly ache for a couple days? (YIKES!)

Obviously I can't say that I've found the answer. I do try to bring as much food of my own as I can, and grab food before it is finished with cream/butter and (unfortunately) try to dodge the dinner altogether when I can--come early, leave before dinner or come late 'too full' for anything more.

If you have family members who can handle the issue, I think you should tell them that you just want to eat differently because it makes you feel better. I'm not sure you have to be more specific than that. You may be surprised that you'll get support from some. For those who can't grasp that love is not food, there is still the alienation/rejection issue. You'll have to decide that one for yourself. How much do you hate yourself afterwards?

Good luck!
  • Bubblecut
    Options
    oh man C1131, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you! I have a friend that has a similar digestive problem and usually just brings her own food to events. Obviously she can't do that with real formal events, but she definitely does it for family gatherings--she just flat out tells the host that she is bringing her own food because its just the right thing for her to do for her own well being. I also have had the challenge of making sure there are "safe" foods to eat for some co-workers and it is so difficult and you want everyone to have a good time and enjoy themselves.

Best of luck to you over the Holidays--sure hope you are able to take part in the festivities without feeling any ill after effects. Maybe someday there will be some magic pill you can take and never have to worry about what you eat ever again... !
  • C1131
    C1131 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes, but realize that in my parent's eyes, this is no different than not wanting to eat high-fat food. I'm rejecting their food and 'judging' them by doing so. They never see the after effects--so to them it's just a personal choice.

You, also, have the right to make the proper choices for yourself--and to approach any sticky situation with a sense of humor. Make a game of it and don't sweat the small stuff.

Cheers!
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me not to eat what people bring to a potluck....big or small. I would analogize it to religion. People shouldn't try to force their religion on me, just like food. It's a personal thing. Since they are already well aware of your eating habits i think no matter what you do they will take notice of it. If I felt compelled to pretend I would serve myself up some along with healthy options, take a taste of everything, eat the healthy stuff and then clear my plate casually and throw away the food I didn't want. If that wasn't possible I would just flat out remain quiet and only eat what I wanted. It's not about other people's "feelings" the choices you are making are about your health. No one has a right to interfere with that in my opinion.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I don't feel badly about eating healthy. I work out hard and everyone can tell. I do have a small crutch when things get tough I don't have a gall bladder. I refer to it as my ghost bladder as it still causes a lot of pain when I eat fatty foods. So, I'll just say I don't eat cheesy things my ghost bladder doesn't like it. Nobody argues with a health issue.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think you have the right attitude! If you think people are sensitive then praise the look and/or smell of their offering but make an excuse, anything! An aversion to cheese, it "upsets" you maybe, no need to go into detail, this also means that the high cream content of the dessert makes it a no go too. Or just politely say that you don't care for such rich food, strange, you seem to have grown out of it. If they insist and you have to give in then have the tiniest portion possible and spend ages nibbling at it.
    If the worst comes to the worst go for a nice long run the next day. Good luck!

(Edited to make sense!)
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound insensitive but I only have one me Ive had to get it in my head that no one will make good choices for me except me. I have to be the one to do it I also had to learn to be strong enough to say no regardless who it may offend
    What someone thinks of me or my choices is not my business its theirs. I'm the one who must continue to live with the side effects of obesity if I do not say no to things which are not good for me.

Thankfully my immediate family is supportive.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a difficult time of year, with all the holiday celebrations. I sometimes find it difficult to skip a dish at a potluck, but not because the creator will be offended. I know myself, and if I indulge, I may not be able to control myself. Soon I'll end up eating seconds. Seriously. Better not to even take a bite. On the other hand, I have taken ONE SINGLE BITE of something delicious, and savored it. Amazing how good something tastes when you close your eyes and enjoy it!