Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to Kettlebell....

Hi all....
Im new to Kettlebell and would love some guidance on the best kettlebell routine to follow... there are so many on you tube....

any that pop out to people that they think i should try? Im deperate to shift as much weight as i can before my hols next March.... i want to loose 3 stone in total..

thanks

kelly

Replies

• joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Kelly, I'd look for videos you can find out there from RKC certified kettlebell instructors; chances are that these folks will be showing the techniques correctly. RKC has DVDs and books that you can buy as well (I have no connection or interest in RKC other than I train with some of their instructors and they've been very good).

But if it's at all possible the best situation is to get at least some in person training at the start from a good instructor at a local gym or KB club. There are things you won't necessarily see in the videos--e.g, the importance of tightening certain muscles at the right times as you do exercises, the mental "visualizations" of where you want the bell to be during its motion--and these things add to the quality and safety of the workout.

Before you start, It's usually important to do some flexibility work to pave the way for kettlebell exercises so that you have a good range of motion. And lastly, start with light bells until you feel very comfortable with the exercises; then you can gradually increase the weight as you see fit.

I don't want to make it sound like this is complicated--I don't think it's any more so than lifting standard weights. But the benefits to be gained from a good overall KB workout are huge. So it's worth it to spend some start up time becoming more flexible and learning the techniques correctly so that you can progress without injury.

Best of luck!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Kelly - I started kb's with a dvd from Angie Miller - Kettlebell bootcamp. Found it on Amazon for something like $12...
    She shows and explains form very well - just take it easy in the beginning because it is a tough workout....
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Hi Kelly,

joe_d has given you the best advice--if you're brand new to kettlebells it's really best to get some hands-on training from someone who knows what they're doing.

I'd add that in addition to RKC certified trainers, SFG (StrongFirst) is another excellent certification to look out for when you're searching for people around your area who teach. If you tell me whereabouts you're located, I might be able to recommend someone...sounds like you might be somewhere in the UK? I am as well, and can ask for recommendations of certified trainers in your area, as I'm connected to the kettlebell community here.

As for losing weight, use your diet to lose the fat. Exercise for health and fitness, to get stronger, etc. Don't go at exercise looking for fat loss as it's a real drag to be worrying about calorie burns and all that nonsense--it's a total dead end. If your diet is a mess, all the exercise in the world isn't gonna fix it.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Also, do not use that Angie Miller dvd that someone else recommended.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    When i started (before i found a kettlebell club in our area with a certified instructor - which is the way to go if you can do so), i began by watching videos of Pavel & also Tracy Reifkind that i found on youtube. I still think that both of their videos are a good place to start. Not sure if anything by him is still up there, but there is a ton of stuff by Reifkind available on youtube full of useful information about the swing, including this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxQTJNup11I&list=PLpUweV_ZfDrdpj-uW2gNjjVTytblNPR3i&index=6
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Does anyone know why this group is called what it is called?
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Yes - partly why i referenced Pavel in my post. And -good point!