reducing weekly mileage

Options
Hello everyone.
I've started running in March, built up my weekly mileage to 30-33 miles per week. This morning I went on my long run (13.5miles), but felt so exhausted that had to stop after 4 miles, walk a little bit and then forced myself to do another 4 miles. I had a couple of stressful weeks, so I know I was lacking the mental focus to keep on going. But the way I felt made me wonder if I should reduce my weekly mileage to avoid this tiredness and burnout.

Here's my typical week:

Mon - 13.5 miles @ 9 mins per mile
Tues - 4 miles @ 8.5 mins per mile + strenght training
Wed - 6.5 miles @ 8.5 mins per mile
Thurs - 4 miles @ 8 mins per mile + strength training
Fri - 4 miles @ 8 mins per mile

I worry about loss of fitness if I reduce mileage, but read it can be beneficial. Is that true, and if so how often should I have a "lighter" week?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Perhaps 5 consecutive days isn't working out? Try giving yourself a rest day on a weekday and break it up a bit.

And why are you running so darn fast, if you just started in March? I don't know your base/PRs, but I'd assume you're running too fast and should sloooooow it dooooooown.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ THIS!

Slow down!

And 5 days straight is probably too much. I'd be sooooo tired the 5th day... You should try to break it out: 3 days, rest, 2 days, rest, repeat !
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    And I don't think you should do a fast run the same day you are doing weight training...

I know I can't do a "quality" run on the same day I weight train. Easy run is fine, to put the miles in.... But not speedwork or long run...
  • mashabear11
    mashabear11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cheers. I can't fit in a run on Saturday or Sunday because of work, I work 11 hours those days so it has to be weekday runs. That's why I do the gym on running days. I run in the morning and do strength in the evening, so there's a break between them. I could reduce my running days to 4 to have a complete rest day.

About my pace, I can hold a conversation during the long run and don't get out of breath, should I still consider slowing down? Today I was going slower (9.5 mins per mile) because I felt tired.

I don't have a previous running history, but I always kept active and my work can be physical. I've always done a lot of walking and I'm comfortable at walking at 5.5 mph.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I can hold a convo at high 8/low 9, but I still consider that too fast for my daily runs. I try to keep 90% of my running around 9:45-10:15. When I got back into running in Jan of this year, all of my training runs were at 8ish and I got burnt out from trying to keep that speed or I felt like I was selling myself short. Fast forward to now, and I worked up to 35MPW, sloooooow, and am seeing great returns.

What are your goals?
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.
    I've started running in March, built up my weekly mileage to 30-33 miles per week. This morning I went on my long run (13.5miles), but felt so exhausted that had to stop after 4 miles, walk a little bit and then forced myself to do another 4 miles. I had a couple of stressful weeks, so I know I was lacking the mental focus to keep on going. But the way I felt made me wonder if I should reduce my weekly mileage to avoid this tiredness and burnout.

Here's my typical week:

Mon - 13.5 miles @ 9 mins per mile
    Tues - 4 miles @ 8.5 mins per mile + strenght training
    Wed - 6.5 miles @ 8.5 mins per mile
    Thurs - 4 miles @ 8 mins per mile + strength training
    Fri - 4 miles @ 8 mins per mile

I worry about loss of fitness if I reduce mileage, but read it can be beneficial. Is that true, and if so how often should I have a "lighter" week?

Per other posters, there's very little variation in your pace and it seems that you don't have a lot of rest days. The physical and emotional issues that you report are symptoms of "overtraining".

You're running good distances and times and it's clear that you have the desire to improve. Harness those traits and focus them with a training plan.

I just got a promo today from mcmillanrunning.com that the book "You (only faster)" is on sale at the Amazon Kindle store for 50% off. I went to Greg's running camp in May where we spent some time going over his thinking behind YOF and I think it's a solid approach. Why not snap a copy and see if it works?

Runnersworld.com can be a good source of information, too. Why not head over there, do a search for "overtraining"? There's also a ton of resources there.
  • mashabear11
    Options
    I have a 10k race in January and I'd like to do it in less than 50 minutes.
    Then a HM in August and the target is sub 1:50.
    I've done a 5k in the summer - 24:12. I didn't really enjoy racing, but I know I need to do a few more. But working at weekends is the main issue.

My real goal is just to be a runner for life. I love it and the knowledge that I can do it.
    That's why I'm worried about burnout and loss of fitness, I worry if I stop I won't be able to get back into it.

Reducing speed rather than mileage? Or reducing mileage for a couple of weeks?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I have a 10k race in January and I'd like to do it in less than 50 minutes.
    Then a HM in August and the target is sub 1:50.
    I've done a 5k in the summer - 24:12. I didn't really enjoy racing, but I know I need to do a few more. But working at weekends is the main issue.

My real goal is just to be a runner for life. I love it and the knowledge that I can do it.
    That's why I'm worried about burnout and loss of fitness, I worry if I stop I won't be able to get back into it.

Reducing speed rather than mileage? Or reducing mileage for a couple of weeks?

I would maintain mileage and reduce speed and actually "enjoy" your runs. I recently PR'd a 5K/10K with 20:10 and 43:36, respectively, simply from lots and lots of 9:45-10:15 miles. I'm nothing special. It works, I promise. Feel free to shoot me a friend request so I can nag you daily.
  • mashabear11
    Options
    Per other posters, there's very little variation in your pace and it seems that you don't have a lot of rest days. The physical and emotional issues that you report are symptoms of "overtraining".

Thank you, I will read about that, thought "overtraining" was a risk with a much higher mileage than mine so didn't consider it.
  • mashabear11
    Options
    Thanks SonicDeathMonkey, I can relate to the "selling myself short" bit. I want to get faster in the future, so reducing speed seems to go against logic - but I will definitely give it a (slow) go!