Hypo HELP

Options
cainisable
cainisable Posts: 28 Member
A few weeks ago I found out I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.. AND Celiac Disease.. JOY to the world!

I haven't been able to lose any weight what so ever since about June.. and randomly have put on about 20 pounds since June as well. So, finding out about Hashi's made sense because I was literally doing everything right! I was also having weird rashes and a few other symptoms that I never even suspected to be gluten.

I have been GF for about 5 weeks or so.. and it's going fine.. no more stomach aches. I have also just recently cut out soy and most dairy (I use grassfed butter, raw cheese, and goat cheese without trouble as far as I know).

My TDEE is a little above 2200 (I did a 24 hour burn using my HR monitor) and I am told by my doc to do a 1200 calorie diet. I try to stick to it but I get SO hungry that most days I range between 1400-1600 calories.. which should still be enough to lose weight. But I'm not.

I'm not on any medication.. but am wanting to do it the natural way.. using desiccated porcine thyroid (armour or a different brand) but my endo says since my levels are still technically normal I just have to wait until they get out of range. So the only thing she says I can do is get my levels checked every 2 months three times and then once a year.

That has to be bull malarkey.

There has to be SOMETHING I can do. I just need input, help, personal experience, ANYTHING!

If you're here to ridicule then don't even bother. If you don't have any type of thyroid problem and never have.. you don't know what my body is doing. I am simply here asking for advice and helpful input.

Add me as a friend if you have Hashi's!

Replies

• Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am also Hypo, And yes its hard. I wasnt able to lose anything without my meds. And At first I wasnt the greatest at taking them. But now Im on more of a schedule, take them at 6 and eat between 8-9a. Also I eat mostly GF, low carb and less processed foods. Check out the Whole 30, or south beach diet. They are great way to restart your diet. Its hard some times but it can really help to jump start things. Good luck to you!!
  • findingtracy
    findingtracy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ugh. I hear you. Im wondering if i can get bloodwork without a drs order, because i can't wait for six months since my last test. If the results are normal again I might totally lose my mind. 20lbs on in 6 months when doing the right thing isn't normal.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I can't offer any real advice as I'm in the same boat as you are - doing everything right and slowly gaining weight ( 20 lbs in the last 2 years ). I'm on synthetic thyroxine ( I live in Germany where no doctor wants to prescribe you natural thyroid hormones ).
    Still, I know people here on mfp who have Hashi's and manage to loose weight - it seems to be different for everyone though. One person managed to do it by cutting calories, another by "eating more to weigh less" approach. Yet another reduced stress, started sleeping longer and drinking more water. Yet another swears that cutting out gluten did the trick.
    The bottom line is I think you have to experiment and find an approach that works for you.
  • findingtracy
    findingtracy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    what I have found helpful is just knowing that I'm not crazy... this is real and others are experiencing it also. I really like my PCP but I think we are still often treated as if we are making it up. When I did the research and discovered that all my symptoms match hypothyroidism and/or perimenopause it was such validation. But no one had offered either up as a possibility! So, I guess we'll continue to do the right thing for our bodies and support one another.

I'm glad you all are here.
  • cainisable
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! It definitely makes me feel better knowing there are people in the same boat and no one believes them! I thought I was going crazy for the last year.. it's extremely frustrating!

But allergictodie is right.. experimentation is what I'm going through right now! I just started the AIP elimination diet (even though I have already eliminated gluten/soy/most diary.. I am doing a pretty strict version I guess.. lol I'm hoping to get rid of some of my most annoying symptoms: joint/muscle pain blaaaah, fatigue, hot/cold flashes, night sweats.. I could go on and on lol I'm only 24! This should not be happening! But it is. and I'm dealing. I WILL get better.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I found out I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.. AND Celiac Disease.. JOY to the world!

I haven't been able to lose any weight what so ever since about June.. and randomly have put on about 20 pounds since June as well. So, finding out about Hashi's made sense because I was literally doing everything right! I was also having weird rashes and a few other symptoms that I never even suspected to be gluten.

I have been GF for about 5 weeks or so.. and it's going fine.. no more stomach aches. I have also just recently cut out soy and most dairy (I use grassfed butter, raw cheese, and goat cheese without trouble as far as I know).

My TDEE is a little above 2200 (I did a 24 hour burn using my HR monitor) and I am told by my doc to do a 1200 calorie diet. I try to stick to it but I get SO hungry that most days I range between 1400-1600 calories.. which should still be enough to lose weight. But I'm not.

I'm not on any medication.. but am wanting to do it the natural way.. using desiccated porcine thyroid (armour or a different brand) but my endo says since my levels are still technically normal I just have to wait until they get out of range. So the only thing she says I can do is get my levels checked every 2 months three times and then once a year.

That has to be bull malarkey.

There has to be SOMETHING I can do. I just need input, help, personal experience, ANYTHING!

If you're here to ridicule then don't even bother. If you don't have any type of thyroid problem and never have.. you don't know what my body is doing. I am simply here asking for advice and helpful input.

Add me as a friend if you have Hashi's!

Everyone in this group has a thyroid issue, so no need to be worried random people will comment that know nothing about what they are talking about. I created this group as a safe haven for all of us :).

You DON'T have to wait until your TSH is out of range to be treated for Hashi's. If your T3 and/or T4 are low you could benefit from a low dose thyroid hormone replacement. If your levels are all normal there is no need for hormone replacement. You can have antibodies attacking your thyroid but it is still working. The only way to stop the attack on your thyroid is to find and remove the cause of the attack, which for many people is gluten and/or dairy...but it could be another source - and this can only be figured out by doing an elimination diet. Lots of folks are able to put their Hashi's in remission by getting a tight control over what they eat.

I know for me personally if I eat too much dairy I will stop losing weight as I have autoimmune intolerance to gluten and to casein. So not full blown Celiac (a gastro actually told me doing a scope would be a waste of his time, I left the office crying), but I still have a wicked reaction if I eat either of them too often. One meal here or there doesn't really harm me now after I did an elimination diet for a month and gave my intestines a bit of a break awhile back.

I have found that sticking to 1200 cals a day, and eating most of my exercise cals back on days I do a high cal burn and allowing myself one day a week where I eat what I want, I have steadily lost 1-2 lbs and sometimes more a week. It will just take time for you to figure out what your triggers are, it took me years to figure all of this mess out. It can be a ton to take in, but you will get there :).
  • cainisable
    Options
    I finally have my levels in front of me to share..

TSI (thyroid-stimulating immunoglobin.. not sure what this is): 1.2 [reference range <1.3]
    TSH with free T4 reflex: 1.777 [range 0.300-5.900]
    T3 free: 2.6 [range 2.0-3.5]
    TPO: 378 [range <21]

these were taken November 6th.. so almost a month ago.

my symptoms include.. but are not limited to (lol):
    fatigue
    achy muscle/joints
    back pain
    muscle weakness
    blurred vision
    dry eyes
    dry hair
    peeling finger nails
    mood swings
    no sex drive
    hot flashes
    night sweats
    cold hands/feet
    anxiety
    insomnia
    can't lose weight
    gain weight easily
    swelling in the morning
    heavier period/cramps

sounds a bit much BUT there it is lol hope you all have some good input!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of a TSH with T4 reflex....weird. But your T3 is pretty low, so that cold be your problem. Don't pay attention to your TSH (it's not a thyroid hormone anyway), you want to find a doc that will listen and treat you based on your T3 and T4 levels and resolution of symptoms. At the end of the day how you FEEL is the best marker, not the labs. I know...easier said than done, but that is the end goal. :)
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Here are a bunch of links that may help. There are also lots of articles about what foods to avoid (in addition to the Gluten) and what foods to eat to optimize thyroid function.

Unfortunately, evey person is so different and as the other posters commented, what works for one may not work for another.

My best advice for you is to keep reading and trying different things to see what works/helps you and to NOT GIVE UP. It can be very frustrating because weight loss is DEFINITELY much harder for those with thyroid issues, but it is not impossible. For me, it was a combo of changing what I'm eating but the biggest thing that worked is the Exercise portion of the equation.

Thyroid Help
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
    http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/thyroid/overview.php
    http://www.lowthyroiddiet.com/low-thyroid-diet.htm
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/thyroid-tune-up-checklist/
    http://thyroid.about.com/od/hypothyroidismhashimotos/a/Thyroid-Patients-Do-You-Need-T3-Natural-Desiccated-Thyroid.htm?nl=1
    http://www.goodmetabolism.com/#
    http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/
    http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/eatingenough.htm

Adrenal Fatigue
    http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp

Five Reasons Your Poor Thyroid Health Could Be Your Fault!
    http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/Five-Reasons-Your-Poor-Thyroid-Health-Could-Be-Your-Fault.htm?nl=1

To use these links: highlight the link... right click & choose open link or open link in new tab