Atkins Induction - Contradiction in the book????

CatarinaF
CatarinaF Posts: 34 Member
Hi, everyone!

I'm trying to find alternatives to eggs for my Induction Phase breakfast, and as I was re-reading the "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" book, I stumbled across some contradictions.

I'd appreciate your advice on this one.

On page 228 it says you should cut out all grains from your food,
but on page 233 the breakfast menu recommends a wrap w/ salmon, and page 234 suggests crispbread slices for breakfast
don't wraps and crispbread contain some form of flour, cereal and grain...?

On page 228/229 it says that cottage cheese and fresh cheese contain too much carbs for induction,
and yet on page 234 the breakfast menu contains cottage cheese wit cinnamon and flaxseeds...?

On page 230 it says you shouldn't be having any fruit or fruit juices, or milk/yogurt for induction
but on page 233 the first snack on the list is a low-carb strawberry shake...?

I'm slightly confused, and would like to vary my breakfast a bit.... but without interrupting the induction phase.
It's a week since I started, following it to the letter, and I've lost 4 lbs.

Many thanks for your replies!!
xxx

Replies

• I don't have the book so I can't really verify what you are reading, but after you are done with the "induction" phase you work to slowly add back certain carbs into your diet, so maybe those menus and recipes you are seeing for later phases of the diet. I do eat eggs every morning, but I just try to mix it up a little bit. Scrambled with green peppers or mushrooms, fried with ham and cheese, etc.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I don't have the book either but I would stick to what you are doing if its working. Cottage cheese does have more carbs than just a simple cheddar or something, so I wouldn't eat cottage cheese until after induction. I would also avoid anything like a wrap, bread, crisp, fruit, etc and then slowly introduce a little here and there. I find it easier when I'm doing low carb to just avoid it all together. For fruit...stick to berries. For a snack you could do a low carb protein powder made with ice, unsweetened almond milk, and a few strawberries. Im not sure what they mean by a low carb strawberry shake...it must mean almond milk since cow's milk does have a decent amount of sugar.