The Crazy Core Lady's Crazy Core Exercises

Options
13»

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    oh my poor abs! those frog kicks .. wow!
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting :flowerforyou:
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try these exercises. Been thinking about putting together a core routine on non SL days. Thanks!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Hi again, I had a few more doubts.
    Crunches : do you recommend doing them on the stability ball? or just on a mat?

Russian twist : I saw quite a few demos on the net and they all have some variation - some of them have the feet up in the air, others have the legs on the ground, some with weights, some without. Some stay up in a V-position right through, others say to come up, twist and lie back. If you could attach a link to which one you recommend - that would be great

Back extensions - would these be like the superman, but on the ground, alternate arm and leg raised?

On another forum i saw a recommendation to using the Ab roller - would you say this is worth adding to the list? If so, do I put it under the full-core options in a superset?

Thanks for all your help!

Crunches - either method works fine and you should do what you feel gives you the best contraction of the core. I do mine on a mat, but that is mostly due to not having stability balls early on in my learning.

Russian Twists - Yes, the variations on this one are numerous. I don't consider the crunch to twist a "Russian Twist" but they are a good exercise as well. Legs on the floor would be the starting position and legs raised with knees bent is the next level in difficulty. Keeping legs up and straight is taking it up another level. Start with what you can manage and then work towards the higher level in difficulty. It is the same is with the weights. Unweighted can allow for speed, but like with any strength training, some increase in difficulty should be aimed for. I don't have a "favorite" variation. Some times I go for slow controlled movement with a heavier weight, sometimes I go for lighter weight, but a more difficult leg position.

Back extensions - Yes, like the supermans.

The ab roller (or doing an ab rollout) is a good one as well. It can be difficult at first and you need to watch form and keep your back stable.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for all the tips and doubt clarifications!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    oh my poor abs! those frog kicks .. wow!

I second this, along with stability ball pikes - ouch!
  • joycloete
    Options
    Why bother with 7545642 different 'core exercises' when farmer's walk and squats can give you the same results? Not to mention they're easy on the lower back?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Why bother with 7545642 different 'core exercises' when farmer's walk and squats can give you the same results? Not to mention they're easy on the lower back?

I am seeing a sports medicine doctor for knee pain, and did quite a bit of physical therapy this year for knees, shoulder and SI joint pain. Both the doctor and pt have repeatedly told me I need to strengthen my core. I also starting doing goblet squats (3x week) last July, but clearly I still need to do more to get to where I need to be to avoid going back to chronic pain. That's my story anyway!
  • avisitant
    avisitant Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great info!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

The Rectus Abdominis (which is obviously part of the core) not only assists with stabilizing the lower back & hip complex but also is responsible for spinal flexion, lateral flexion, and rotation, none of which occur with the big lifts. This is the reason why, in addition to the big lifts, I do addition ab & core work
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

The Rectus Abdominis (which is obviously part of the core) not only assists with stabilizing the lower back & hip complex but also is responsible for spinal flexion, lateral flexion, and rotation, none of which occur with the big lifts. This is the reason why, in addition to the big lifts, I do addition ab & core work

QFT
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Save
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bump-i need to start doing some of these
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    saving, so I can construct the ultimate core torture routine...
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Bump and ty :flowerforyou:
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    what a great list of exercises ! I am going to start stonglifts hopefully monday of next week, just reading up about it first before I start. I was wondering about core exercises on the non stronglifts day.
    thanks !
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Loving the list of exercises. Thank you
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Yay! Can't wait to try some of these moves!