How many carbs? And what are net carbs!

Options
Hi guys,
I'm doing the keto diet for 1,5 week now and get a bit confused with how many carbs I can really have. I know it is under 30 ish but other websites recommend under 50 or even 20. I try to aim for 30.. Will this put me in ketosis?

Second of all, when I count carbs with my fitness pall app I take the viber off the total amount of carb and the last one is my daily carb intake. Is that right? For example. Total carb 55g- dietary fiber 30g=25g carb intake for the day
Can anyone tell me if this is the right way because I don't really feel like I'm in ketosis. Feel free to view my public profile.
Thanks! E

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I stay at about 25 grams net carbs, where net carbs are equal to total carbs minus fibre.

I took a quick peek at your profile and noticed that you are eating back your calories. You have your set point at 1200 cal, but after burning 400 cal, MFP automatically adds it to your total calories, and the new number becomes 1600 cal. Not sure that it is the right thing to do - perhaps maintaining the calorie deficit by staying at 1200 cal will really force your body to burn, and with a low cal high fat diet, it will be forced into ketosis.

My two cents...good luck sweetheart.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Your net carbs are carbs that are made of fiber, and are good for you. They help your digestive track stay on...well, track.

You should be try to aim for about 30 or less g of net carbs.

Net carbs that are also keto friendly can be found in Almonds, Avocado, Pecan, Artichoke, Kale, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc.
    Lots of fruits are high in fiber, but they're full of fruit sugar that for keto, is not ideal.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Like Ms. allisonrinkel said, they're indigestible carbohydrates. You are correct in that you subtract their value from the "Total Carbs" (gross value) to get your net value.

I just now had a package of Blue Diamond Almonds, they have a Total Carb. of 8 grams, but a dietary fiber of 4 grams. I subtract the fiber and end up with a total of four from this snack.

Also, like she said, you need them to keep the plumbing going. Salad greens, a little guacamole, flax seed, and fiber supplements keep my system ship-shape.

Be well, be safe, have a great day!
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Can i put a spanner in the works and say the carbs and food need to be in the same food? ie having a high fibre food does not subtract the carbs out of another food?
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Can i put a spanner in the works and say the carbs and food need to be in the same food? ie having a high fibre food does not subtract the carbs out of another food?

This is true