Fluctuations

Options
tanigrrrrr
tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
Hey everyone,
Stepped on the scale this morning and im like 2lbs heavier than I was two days ago. NO CHANCE ive eaten that many calories.. but havent eaten much sodium or have any real reason why my body would hold onto water.. im hoping this will go away by the end of the week.. but curious.. how big are your fluctuations usually?
Ive only ever had 100g here or there.. never 800g..

Replies

• ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and see my weight go up and down by 3 lbs from day to day, when I record my weight on MFP, I only record new lows and re-enter that weight until I go below again. I think that sometimes when you lose fat the empty cellswill fill with water and then suddently release ( the so called WOOSH). I think of it as my body catching up and adjusting to the new weight.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Same here, mine can fluctuate that much day to day. Usually after I eat ham, a lot of carbs, and/or a heavy exercise day. Then it can WHOOSH away in a couple days, usually.

My weight can also stay the same, while my inches can go down - I can tell in my clothes. The scale eventually follows. :)
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    thats for your reply guys.... some of it has come off.. im only about 300g above where I was monday..I feel like ive wasted a week trying to get rid of a fluctuation.
    we will see!
    Staying motivated through a higher weight is the toughest bit!
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try not to weigh daily. That freaks you out. I weigh once a week. It is just way to stressful and well as obsessive for me to weigh daily. Weekly keeps me sane as well as motivated to see some change, so less likely to fall off of my program.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. There are often "massive" fluctuations that I can't relate to any food intake, water consumption, or activity from the previous day. It is just something that your body does. This is why a lot of people prefer to weigh themselves weekly. There's still a chance that some random fluctuation will make it seem like you gained, but that chance is reduced.

What I do, to keep my sanity while still weighing daily, is to compute a trendline. My weight will often vary by a pound or two, but the trendline will be much smoother and as long as it's trending downward, I don't worry about the daily weight.

There are many ways to do compute a trend or a moving average. It depends on what you want.
  • Twylashea
    Twylashea Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Shark week will cause me to gain regardless of how good I'm being.