I want to eat....a lot...of junk. :/ funk

Options
I'm 22 weeks. I know this is mostly a mental thing, but I want to eat...a lot! and junky stuff! *sigh* I'm gaining too much weight and am giving in to my "I don't care" mentality (binging) too much. Someone please tell me I'm not alone. Someone else please help me out of this horrible place! Before I got preggo, I had lost 81 pounds. I KNOW how to be healthy. I'm just in a funk.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Welcome to 2nd trimester...I remember wanting to eat the paint off of walls. Try to stay hydrated keep water nearby. For me it seems that it has leveled out during my 3rd trimester, and I've lost some of the weight I gained during my 2nd. Push the protein if you can, I know all I really craved was carbohydrates and spices. Keep exercising at least walking.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel ya on this subject. During week 17, I was only up 3 lbs, by week 21, I had ballooned up another 15... 15!! I blame it on a combo of bad food (not everyday) and a lot of the bad food had high sodium levels, so I'm thinking some of it is retaining water as well. It's been hard to stabilize even w/ exercising. Seems the harder I try, the worse it gets. I'm also not getting as much sleep bc of my commuting schedule, which keeps me pretty hungry, too. Usually when I have high protein foods (or shakes), I'm generally satisfied., but all I've been wanting are my comfort foods, which aren't typical high protein... sucks :frown:
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I would say to up your protein. I had same issue as soon as I got into the second trimester and a friend of mind told me that when you crave sweets/carbs it's usually because you're lacking protein.

Sure enough she was right. As soon as I ate more protein I significantly curbed my junk food cravings. I still have them, but not nearly as often as I used to and I'm a lot better at resisting them.

http://lifespa.com/protein-deficiency-the-hidden-signs/

Protein Deficiency Sign #1: Constant Craving

Carbs, sweets, caffeine, chocolate, pop, candy, pastries, or chips; constant cravings for these non-nutritional foods point to unstable blood sugar. Not everyone with cravings is protein deficient (otherwise we would really be looking at a country-wide epidemic!), but protein deficiency and unstable blood sugar are intimately linked.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Options
    I would say to up your protein. I had same issue as soon as I got into the second trimester and a friend of mind told me that when you crave sweets/carbs it's usually because you're lacking protein.

Sure enough she was right. As soon as I ate more protein I significantly curbed my junk food cravings. I still have them, but not nearly as often as I used to and I'm a lot better at resisting them.

http://lifespa.com/protein-deficiency-the-hidden-signs/

Protein Deficiency Sign #1: Constant Craving

Carbs, sweets, caffeine, chocolate, pop, candy, pastries, or chips; constant cravings for these non-nutritional foods point to unstable blood sugar. Not everyone with cravings is protein deficient (otherwise we would really be looking at a country-wide epidemic!), but protein deficiency and unstable blood sugar are intimately linked.

That's definitely me. I was a low carber before pregnancy and w/in several days of having high protein/low carb foods, I hardly craved sweets at all. Now to get back to that stage.. still a work in progress, lol.
  • thatTOPSlady
    Options
    Thank each and every one of you for your post! I was REALLY feeling alone on this situation until you posted--- It means a lot just knowing this happens to ppl besides just me LOL
  • rachael116
    Options
    Don't feel alone! It happened to me too (I'll be honest, still happening on occasion)! One thing my doctor did say was that sometimes a sugar craving, really is just for sugar. I don't understand the mechanism exactly, but apparently your body can become hypoglycemic more quickly than usual, and when that happens, you might crave something sweet. I try and make the healthy choice when I can, but as others have said, it can be hard.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Yes, more protein.

Also, when I am craving something sweet I go for fruit. After eating an apple, some pineapple and some figs - if I still want that cookie then I eat it. But, if I go straight for the cookies it is impossible to stop after one or two. If I eat the fruit first, one or two cookies does me just fine.

Walking. I live about 1 mile from 7 different fast food places, all my favorites. If I really really want that Jr Bacon Cheeseburger, I walk there and get it and dont feel guilty about it either. But, if I dont want it bad enough to walk to get it, I dont go.

Cravings generally have a meaning. Women that crave ice cream and cottage cheese? It's the calcium. Craving pickles? Probably the sodium. Craving dirt? Believe it or not, this is a fairly common urge for pregnant women to want to eat, and is a lack of iron! When you are craving something, consider that it might be your body telling you that you need something. Try to find the healthiest version of that same thing, (cottage cheese or glass of milk instead of a half gallon of ice cream.) Also, be wary of eating too much of some things. My brother's best friend's wife just ended up in the hospital from pickles! Pregnant and craving pickles, she gave in and ate 2 jars of them in one sitting. She got really sick, headaches, dizzy and throwing up. She ignored these thinking it was just more pregnancy symptoms and ended up being admitted to the ER for dehydration. Too much salt, not enough water.

Let yourself go a little bit, watch what you eat for sure but cut yourself a little bit of slack. Gaining weight is to be expected right now, you can lose it after the baby is born.
  • thatTOPSlady
    Options
    thx everyone
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, i am in week 23 and have eaten so bad for the last few weeks. I find it so hard to control and with a busy work schedule i haven't been doing any exercise so i have been feeling really guilty (thank god i have an active job). These tips are great, i need to try them out and see if they work. Nice to know I'm not alone in this. Also if anyone has any tips on how to get motivated to exercise with a busy schedule i would much appreciate it!
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    This thread really helped me not feel alone as well. I was doing so well til the end of my second trimester and it has gone down hill big time. I'm glad to read on the lack of protein and am going to try that for sure. i have been craving carbs and sweets big time and I feel a million times worse after eating them. I will also say that eating the "Lil cuties" small mandarin oranges has been a godsend for curbing sweet cravings they're like a sour candy all their own but alas i am out today :( I only have 5 weeks to go and am hoping not to gain 20 more lbs by the end lol
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Options
    Thanks for posting, i am in week 23 and have eaten so bad for the last few weeks. I find it so hard to control and with a busy work schedule i haven't been doing any exercise so i have been feeling really guilty (thank god i have an active job). These tips are great, i need to try them out and see if they work. Nice to know I'm not alone in this. Also if anyone has any tips on how to get motivated to exercise with a busy schedule i would much appreciate it!

My schedule isn't so much a busy one as I'm limited for time. I'm lucky bc the building where I work has a gym open to the tenants. I used to get up at 5am to be at work at 8:30am (DC commuter) and sometimes I didn't have enough time to workout and I was always too hungry to go during lunch. I don't get home until somewhere between 7:15-7:30pm, and with making dinner then eating, getting lunch and gym bag ready, it's already after 9 and I have to make myself lie down by 9:30-10 (I'm a night owl.. I'm wired at night) and I can't immediately fall asleep. Since my hubby gets up at 4:30, which wakes me up, he suggested to commute w/ him, which brings me to work generally at 6:30 and gives me a great deal of time to exercise before heading to work. Best thing is he does most of the driving so I can rest or take a nap on the way to and from work :smile:

You may just have to sit down when you have some free time and go over your schedule and see where you can fit it in. Having an active job seems to be a good thing for days you can't workout, but make sure your body also gets its rest :smile:

Hope I helped in some way!