Any opinions on: Kurt Fluid trainer and Sufferfest?

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
Subject says it all, I picked up both, anyone use either before and can comment on quality or experience?

I'm nursing a tweaked back at the moemnt, so I haven't gotten to give them a try so far.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a Kurt Kinetic and love it (it's the only trainer I've owned so I have no basis for comparing it to others based on personal experience).......buy a training tire, they're cheap and it beats shredding a more expensive road tire.

A couple of the coaches at my tri club have recommended the Sufferfest videos in that they're tailored for very specific objectives (speed, sprinting, time trial etc) I'll be getting a couple of them this year now that my bike is up on the trainer.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have 10 of the videos and love them! They are great tools and with the Sufferfest now putting together training plans, there are more oppotunities for growth.
  • cwsikes
    Options
    I use a Kurt Fluid and have loved it. I had a cheaper trainer before and find the Kurt provides a better trainer experience. I recently picked up a trainer tire from Conti instead of just using an old road tire and find the trainer tire is much quieter than the road tire.

I've done Sufferfest workouts using TrainerRoad but I haven't watched the videos because I prefer catching up on my TV watching when I'm on the trainer.

Regardless of if you are going to do Sufferfest or not, you should check out TrainerRoad.com. It's an awesome software application that simulates a power reading while you are on the trainer and its compatible with the Kurt. It has structured workouts that you can do based on power and it also has workouts that sync up specifically to the Sufferfest videos. It's only like $10 a month and makes trainer riding so much more bearable.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Drudoo - Thats what got me to pull the trigger on the sufferfest, I got their beginner plan, and 7 videos. Now that my back is feeling better, I'm going to get on and do the first bit tonight.

Brian, cwsikes - I'll check the tires. I'm using my road tires, because I plan to replace them in spring, but if the noise gets on my nerves, time for a trainer tire.

With the trainer came a one month freebie to trainerroad, what are you getting from it? I do have the Kurt wired computer, so it does give me a fakey power reading, would that be enough for trainerroad?

Brian - I'll let you know how the videos are if you'd like.
  • cwsikes
    Options
    TrainerRoad will basically allow you to do structured trainer workouts with power even if you don't have a power meter. I've actually used it now with virtual power (where I just had the Kurt fluid and the software would estimate my power based on knowing what trainer I was on) and with actual power (now I have a spider crank based power meter on my bike).

Here's how I use it. Before I get on my bike, I load up TrainerRoad software on my computer and choose which workout I want to do today. They have tons of workouts ranging from short to long, nice steady rides to crazy intervals, easy spins to puke inducing suffer rides, etc. You can also make your own workout or do workouts made by others. They also have a wide variety of training plans you can follow based on your goals. After I choose my ride, I also load up whatever TV show I'm watching and off I go. On my computer screen I now have a screen showing my workout with all the relevant info and my lovely TV show to keep me from going bonkers. All the workouts are based on riding at a certain percent of your FTP (which it will help you find if you don't know it).

I used to get on the trainer and just ride and 30 minutes felt like an eternity. Now I can jump on, focus on a certain workout, and the time goes by so much quicker. It also feels like quality workouts instead of just spinning mindlessly. With all this said, I'm not affiliated in any way, just really like the product they offer and based on everything I've read, have never seen anyone disappointed with the product or service they offer. Check out their Facebook page for some more feedback.

Also, for Sufferfest specific love, they have the rides that specifically will sync to the Sufferfest videos where you can be following a power based ride that is perfectly synced with the video in order to truly enjoy the suffer.