This is so frustrating!

Options
Wilhellmina
Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
I did a fat fast and I lost 4 pounds, but then my hormones make a shift and I gain 4 pounds. I managed to loose 3 pounds of it again, but then something gave me a reaction and I gain 3 pounds again. How can I ever loose 20 pounds if this goes on like this? All I loose come back for some odd reason, making me feel it has no use what ever I try :ohwell:

Replies

• Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself every day? Because my weight can go back up and down quite a bit from day to day. Especially when I had a day with lots of sodium (cheese, broth, albert heijn ground meat). I think you can also hold on on water when you worked out. Ever thought of taking your measurements?
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Some moments I do weigh myself frequently, yes. I am dealing with water weight at the moment for sure, I had some hives yesterday and my lips and underarms were blown up, so I must have had something on the menu I shouldn't have. Only thing I have changed was adding coconut to the diet, so maybe I should leave that out again. Further I am dealing with perimenopause and my hormones are often out of tune making me gain at those moments. This all is just so frustrating, one moment you loose weight fast, but all of a sudden you gain almost all back on again.
  • Embrya
    Embrya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read from Dana carpender that in the atkins clinic they done 5 days fat fast 2 days induction and continued like that until you lost the weight or got bored

From what I read it's normal to put on a small amount of what you lost but the fact you saw a lose shows that you need to increase your fats in your daily diet over protein dr atkins says this in the book as well
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    In other words just daily more fats and less protein you mean, like just sticking to fat fast without cutting the calories back?
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ah that doesn't sound good, I hope you're feeling better now! My mom also had big trouble losing weight because she's in menopause. But her weight is going down, it only takes a little longer. So don't give up!! I'm sure you'll get there! You already lost so much!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    I surely did Louisette! I lost about 30 pounds already. Giving up doesn't belong in my dictionary. I just try to increase the fat intake and lower protein and see how that goes. There will be a way, there must be!
  • Embrya
    Embrya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In other words just daily more fats and less protein you mean, like just sticking to fat fast without cutting the calories back?

Yes your fat should always be more than your protein as your body will turn the protein into glucose if your eating too much

So that's the first area I would look at and see if you start losing more then I'm sure you will
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    plateaus suck. I hear your frustration. you want to see results for all your effort, and nothing is happening. it's hard to accept!

i read that 60 grams per day of fat loss is average on a keto diet. however, your body can retain 1000 to 3000 grams of water. And that bathroom scale isn't well calibrated, so you can weigh yourself 3 times in 5 minutes and have a range of 500 to1000 grams.

It's crazy.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You may want to look for a long term downward trend instead of looking at your day to day weight. I also find taking measurements and pictures more useful than the scale sometimes.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Okay, I have set my fat-protein-carbs to 75%-20%-5% and daily calorie intake to 1650, but starting with a fat fast first.
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am feeling frustrated myself today! Again! This is so frustrating!! Argh! When will this plateau end?? 228-232 is my weight range. The scale doesn't move. I have 70 pounds to go! At least the keto strips are ok.

Calories set at 1600. My BMR is 1945. Keeping protein under 25%, net carbs under 25g.

I am in keto, for sure. But no weight loss. I lost some inches a few weeks ago.

Here's what I'm going to experiment with in 2014.
    1) some intense exercise, a few times a week. Currently, I walk 7000-11000 steps per day (per my pedometer). But it isn't vigorous. I need to join a fitness center.

2) cutting out the dairy. ... As much as it pains me because I love it so, what else could it be?

3) When I go to the doctor, request more blood labs to check all the possible hormones that might be hindering my progress.
  • iowamoomoo
    Options
    I had lost 7 pounds and my scale never even budged but I know something changed because my clothes were starting to fit different. I always wear baggy shirts and stretch pants and they were both looking worse then normal. I put the scale waaaaaay in the back of my closet so I had to work to get it out if I wanted to weigh myself..put the scale AWAY! Heck even too much sodium can cause the fluctuations in weight gain as I have found out to be true as can gaining muscles for those that work out..
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am starting to think that I am not a good Keto person. I am having such a hard time sticking to the right foods, without somehow slipping and eating/drinking some carby foods/drinks.
    I can make it through 2/3 of the day perfectly well, but once I get home, something always appeals to me and before I even realize, I've eaten it.
    I also love beer so much. I totally forget it's liquid carbs, and before I realize, I've drank a pint. Gah, so hard!
    I want to lose weight but I'm starting to hate food. Hell, I already do. I hate that I want to just eat stuff, but if I do, i'll gain weight. I know that is a bad sign. I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if all this stuff is just making me insane.
  • danamcox
    danamcox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Keep Budweiser 55 Select (1.9 carbs) and Michelob Ultra (2.6 carbs) on hand for beer cravings. In fact, my husband and I have pizza and beer Friday nights, substituting Flat-Out Flatbread pizza and ultra beer for our usual Papa John and regular beer (or wine). Feels like cheating, but it isn't!
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Allison,
    If you cant deny yourself the foods that you love than Keto is definately not for you. You will be consistently starting over and getting nowhere. Youd be better off just going for calorie controll and trying to fit your foods into your calorie goal.
    However... even then you will need to restrict yourself..
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm confused why you think a "fat fast" is necessary. If you cut back your calories too far, your body is going to lower your metabolism to keep you alive. Just find an eatting style that you can live with and stick with it for a while. It takes some people months (even years) to get ketoadapted. So stop thinking in terms of days and weeks.