Graduating on Sunday with an icy-cold 5K

Options
inspirezme
inspirezme Posts: 36 Member
I'm super excited and nervous to be completing the C25K program on Sunday with my first 5k. I never really thought that running on pavement would be possible because my back would hurt so badly every time I tried in the past. But a bad headspace after a break-up and excess weight challenged me to find something positive to focus on, so I decided to give the C25K program, and running, one more shot. I invested in proper running shoes and compression sleeves right from the beginning. And I committed to running on the track outside the local elementary school, hoping that the little bit of extra cushion and levelness of the surface would aide in my success. And it seems my plan has worked. I followed the plan, and added running little by little, completing each day of the program as I was supposed to, without stopping or repeating days. For week 8, I ventured off the comfort of my track and started running on the walking trail in my neighborhood and discovered the "joy" of hilly terain and root-cracked sidewalks. Throughout it all, my back never hurt! :)

As I prepare to complete the program, I find myself registered for THREE 5Ks over the next month and a half and enough new running apparel to start my own boutique. I've learned to enjoy my runs and the sense of accomplishment I feel in having completed the program. The only thing I am still worried about conquering is the 20F degree/wintry mix weather facing us on the east coast this coming Sunday morning. I guess the temps will serve as incentive to just run faster!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Winter Cap
    A warm hat that covers your ears is a must on cold days, especially windy ones, and can be one of the best steps you can take to keep warm. Merino wool, fleece, and technical-fiber options are available at specialty running stores.

Light Jacket
    A jacket, usually a polyester blend, serves to keep you warm, keep off wind, rain, and snow, and manage your perspiration. It's an essential piece of equipment on cold, windy and/or rainy days. Use the zipper as a "thermostat" – zip up or down on the run, as needed, to stay comfortable.

Long-Sleeve Shirt
    A long-sleeve shirt made of high-tech polyester will pull moisture away from your skin, keeping you from getting clammy and cold on a cooler day.

Sports Bra
    For women, a sports bra is a "must-have" piece of equipment for running happy. If you are experiencing pain and swelling, you are most likely in the wrong bra.

Gloves
    When in doubt, wear gloves or mittens; if you get too warm, they're easy to tuck into your shorts or tights. Gloves keep your hands warm on a cold day, but mittens are an even warmer option when temperatures plunge below freezing.

Tights
    The first level of insulation for your legs. "Classic" tights are generally a polyester and spandex blend. Looser running pants (also stretchy, but not as form-fitting as tights) are another option here. In extreme cold, tights under pants is a good layering strategy. Underwear under the tights is a good idea; just try to avoid cotton.

Running Shoes
    Choose a pair of running shoes with the cushioning and stability appropriate for your biomechanics. Or go barefoot (weather permitting, of course). If wearing shoes, a good pair of moisture-wicking running socks can help prevent blisters.

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I might add shorts on top of my tights, even though that can be considered a fashion faux pas.

One of the things that I loved about the C25k program is that you had everything you needed by graduation

-Information
    -Inspiration
    -Physical Stamina
    -Mental Stamina
    -A Rocking Playlist
    -Gear
    -Habits

2-3 months gives you time to get everything you need to incorporate running as a permanent part of your active lifestyle.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Winter Cap
    A warm hat that covers your ears is a must on cold days, especially windy ones, and can be one of the best steps you can take to keep warm. Merino wool, fleece, and technical-fiber options are available at specialty running stores.
    You can use a winter cap, but unless it is really windy then a normal ball cap with ear coverings will work too. Something like this:cn6846714.jpg Keep it water wickering, because you can still sweat in 20 degree weather, believe it or not.
    Light Jacket
    A jacket, usually a polyester blend, serves to keep you warm, keep off wind, rain, and snow, and manage your perspiration. It's an essential piece of equipment on cold, windy and/or rainy days. Use the zipper as a "thermostat" – zip up or down on the run, as needed, to stay comfortable.
    I personally opt for a nice vest. Jackets tend to make my body over heat and I like the fact that the cool air can help cool my core if I get too hot in all my layers.
    Long-Sleeve Shirt
    A long-sleeve shirt made of high-tech polyester will pull moisture away from your skin, keeping you from getting clammy and cold on a cooler day.
    Look for the base layer types of clothing...like long sleeves underarmor, or brooks long sleeve running technicals.
    Gloves
    When in doubt, wear gloves or mittens; if you get too warm, they're easy to tuck into your shorts or tights. Gloves keep your hands warm on a cold day, but mittens are an even warmer option when temperatures plunge below freezing.
    Lighter mittens for 20 degrees will be fine. The heavier they get the clamier your hands get. Save the heavy mittens for extremely cold days.
    Tights
    The first level of insulation for your legs. "Classic" tights are generally a polyester and spandex blend. Looser running pants (also stretchy, but not as form-fitting as tights) are another option here. In extreme cold, tights under pants is a good layering strategy. Underwear under the tights is a good idea; just try to avoid cotton.
    Yes! The Nike/Asics/Adidas/Etc...work great. But as your running gets better and you become more involved in the sport start to invest in the Brooks/North Face/CW-X brands as they have great quality and the clothing is specifically designed with runners in mind.
    Running Shoes
    Choose a pair of running shoes with the cushioning and stability appropriate for your biomechanics. Or go barefoot (weather permitting, of course). If wearing shoes, a good pair of moisture-wicking running socks can help prevent blisters.
    Balega socks! These are great socks!

As for the extra layers over your tights...that is another good thing about investing in the Brooks/North Face/CW-X brands, you don't need to hide your booty because the material is in no way shape or form see through. I have found some Nike/Asic/Adidas tights to actually be see through, so I have to throw shorts over them. If you are one of those people who do not tolerate cold very well at all, a pair of light weight sweats or wind breaker pants over the tights can help lock in body heat and reduce wind chill.

The general rule my running club uses for 20 degrees weather is 2 tops (one long sleeve/one vest), one bottom (tights), light weight mittens and something to cover your ears.
  • inspirezme
    Options
    Thanks! I think I am good to go gear-wise! I have Under Armour Cold Gear tights and a compression shirt, as well as a merino Buff, fleece headband (although I really like that purple one with the ponytail opening!), a pair of Asics and gloves. I also invested in a jacket from Road Runner that has padding on the front only and I LOVE it - I just haven't tested it out below 40 degrees yet ;)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It was in the 20's when I ran the Gobble Jog on Thanksgiving:

I wore tights with shorts (keeps my hips and thighs warm). Feetures socks. A wicking singlet with the 2007 Gobble Jog race shirt (cotton) over it to show my dedication to the race. Gloves. A neck gaiter. A wicking Nike skullcap. I was chilly but not freezing waiting to start (which is ideal). After a mile, I was perfectly comfortable.

I love that headband. I'm currently lusting after this though:

http://www.oiselle.com/shop/running-tops/flyte-long-sleeve

Thumbholes!!!
  • inspirezme
    Options
    That's so cute! I bet my best friend would LOVE that -- Although I am sure she never gets cold enough running in the balmy warmth of Sarasota, FL. ;)

I love that headband. I'm currently lusting after this though:

http://www.oiselle.com/shop/running-tops/flyte-long-sleeve

Thumbholes!!!