Chocolate Abuse?

Options
janemcd67
janemcd67 Posts: 35 Member
Hi all. I wonder what you think the appropriate amount of chocolate is to eat in a day. I am afraid I am starting to abuse it. Also, is it really a fasting food ? I think I remember Jaminet writing about it on the website. Or maybe I am making it up ...

Replies

• Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Man, that is a tough one! I try to limit my chocolate to one serving a day.
  • alexotica
    alexotica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here's the blog post: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2012/11/chocolate-what-is-the-optimal-dose/

Looks like more/better studies needed to find optimal dose (that's clear), but 30g per day in the population level study appeared to give benefits (you might need to look at the study referenced to determine whether that was 30g of cacao or of a prepared chocolate of a certain cacao percentage).

I don't remember hearing anything about chocolate and fasting... perhaps something about small amounts of cocoa in coffee probably won't take one out of ketosis? I don't follow a ketogenic diet, so I'm not well read on that stuff.

I don't eat chocolate every day, but I've been looking for ways to add raw cacao nibs (I use Natierra; they don't include any other ingredients) to more meals.