Is this goal realistic?

Options
rle2512
rle2512 Posts: 44 Member
Hi! I'm posting here because i am now a month and a half into my very low carb diet, I have lost 18 pounds so far,(40 total in the past year)... i ate what i wanted to on thanksgiving so it was a small set back but im back to my original loses. I want to lose another 18 lbs on this diet before i decide to maintain. I am 5'8" and 158 lbs right now, goal weight of 140. I want to be at my goal weight by summer, June, is 18 more pounds realistic? I run at least two miles a day, at least 5 days a week and do strength training as well. My resent standstill has left me wondering if the last 18 lbs is going to take FOREVER and im not sure how much more i can cut out/or increase my work outs to because of my work schedule. I am currently doing intermittent fasting, eating one meal a day around 800 calories and i feel great and its been working, just feeling discouraged the past few days.

Replies

• Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put too much stock into the last few days. It's natural after you have been eating low carb and then spend a day eating carbs. When I do the same it usually takes 4-5 days to be lower than my last weigh in. So ride it out.

It is natural for your weight loss to slow down as you get closer to your goal and your calorie intake is low and it would seem your exercise is pretty high. I would suggest you check out this keto calculator and see if maybe increasing your calories does your body some good:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Your goals are sound and IF is good but you're not consuming enough calories to support your nutritional needs much less the exercise you're doing. If you stall I imagine it will be because of the low calories combined with exercise. Fortunately, you can make up those calories by adding in good sources of fat.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Your goals are sound and IF is good but you're not consuming enough calories to support your nutritional needs much less the exercise you're doing. If you stall I imagine it will be because of the low calories combined with exercise. Fortunately, you can make up those calories by adding in good sources of fat.

This.

It took me a while to find my reference (I was looking at the wrong author), but basically, eating too few of calories, excessive exercise (esp with too few cals), plus fasting, plus life in general = you're stressing out your body. Calorie restriction (esp eating way too few), exercise, fasting are all forms of stress on your body, and it can only handle so much.

http://www.niashanks.com/2013/07/intermittent-fasting-doing-it-wrong/

Here's another good one to read about metabolic damage:
    http://www.jencomaskeck.com/2011/01/metabolic-damage.html
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: Don't rely on your scale alone. The numbers under your feet aren't the only thing to pay attention to. 140 pounds of bricks looks alot smaller than 140 pounds of feathers, but it is still 140 pounds. Use your tape measure. Use your body fat percentage and lean muscle mass as a way to also keep track of your changes. Don't be discouraged.
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is sound advice, also.

This.

It took me a while to find my reference (I was looking at the wrong author), but basically, eating too few of calories, excessive exercise (esp with too few cals), plus fasting, plus life in general = you're stressing out your body. Calorie restriction (esp eating way too few), exercise, fasting are all forms of stress on your body, and it can only handle so much.

http://www.niashanks.com/2013/07/intermittent-fasting-doing-it-wrong/

Here's another good one to read about metabolic damage:
    http://www.jencomaskeck.com/2011/01/metabolic-damage.html
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    use the keto calculator to gauge what you're eating. you're approaching maintenance to my way of thinking. I don't like 800 calories a day for someone exercising as much as you are. the goal MAY be realistic but I'd prefer you do a complete reset around muscle mass, body fat and weight goals. I don't like targeting weight per se as the ultimate objective. consider all three. please stay healthy. you women way underestimate how attractive you are already and tend to worry too much. smile more.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    ^Full of win.

Thanks for the references. I lost all my bookmarks recently and don't have any of the good stuff at hand right now. Slowly building them back up. I
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    ^Full of win.

Thanks for the references. I lost all my bookmarks recently and don't have any of the good stuff at hand right now. Slowly building them back up. I

I started a Word doc file full of links, as I can never remember where I read stuff! I didn't even think until now, to go look at that. Ha!