How to dress for cold, rainy half?

Options
I have my first half marathon on Sunday and we had a cold front just come through. I'm fine running in the cold (should be low 40's during the race), but there is a 40-50% chance of rain. I live down South and have run in the rain when it's warm, but don't really know what to do with cold and rainy. I was planning on a long sleeve shirt with capri pants and gloves. Do you think that will still be ok? Should I wear a hat? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be flippant about your concern, but in the 40s, I'd wear short sleeves and shorts, hah!

No, but seriously, if I were dressing for a slightly chilly race, I'd do what you're planning. I often wear cheap cotton gloves that I can leave at an aid station without regret. I'd be way too hot in a hat at 40, but do what you think is best for you!
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes to the hat if it's raining. I generally don't wear a hat, but I just did my last training run of nearly 22 miles in rain two weeks ago. My hat was the most important piece of gear in keeping the sprinkles out of my eyes and face.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Yes to the hat if it's raining. I generally don't wear a hat, but I just did my last training run of nearly 22 miles in rain two weeks ago. My hat was the most important piece of gear in keeping the sprinkles out of my eyes and face.

There is no way I wold wear a hat or gloves in weather than warm. Shorts and a short sleeve technical shirt are the way to go. If you wear a lot of clothing it will only get heavy in the rain.

Don't wear new shoes on race day, but since you have run in the rain before, make sure to wear the pair of shoes that are best suited for that situation (water resistant and/or easily drains excess water)
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Wear a plastic garbage bag over your clothes to keep you dry while you wait to start and then you can ditch it once you get going. Although I have seen people run their whole race in them too. I personally would wear a hat or a head band to help keep water out of my eyes.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would be in shorts, singlet and gloves. I might wear a visor if it's going to rain hard.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I didn't say I was bundling up, I was just asking if I should do anything differently with the rain. We had temps in the 80's earlier this week, so the cold front has been abrupt. I prefer to run in the cold, but really dislike the cold-wet combo. I run with a visor sometimes, so will maybe wear that if it is pouring. Thanks!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I understand the long sleeves and capris in 40 degree weather. I live in Southern California and low 40's is cold for me. Everyone's thermostat is a little different.

I agree that the most important thing is a visor or a hat to keep the rain out of your eyes. I have run in the rain without one and it wasn't fun trying to see where I was going.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I like to wear compression gear in the rain to minimize chafing, but if you have a jog-bra you probably will have that covered. Maybe consider arm sleeves and a short-sleeve shirt instead of long sleeves, so you can remove the sleeves if you get hot.

If it was me I would probably just do a short-sleeve compression shirt and $1.29 work gloves from Lowes, planning on throwing the gloves away at some point during the race.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    Just an update. The chance of rain decreased and the temps were between 38-41 (based on what my car said when I arrived and left the race). I wore capri pants and a long sleeve shirt plus gloves. The humidity was over 80% and it was really quite cold (or possibly I am a total wuss). I was fine during the race, with the exception of having cold hands even with the gloves on. I beat my goal by 2 min, so that was great. I couldn't use my hands after the race, they were so cold. I might need a warmer pair of gloves for the rest of the winter, as I have another half on Jan 19th. I was so happy it didn't rain and I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. Thanks!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    sweat-gutr.jpg