How long will I be foggy?

Options
I officially started keto yesterday. I've been doing a lot of research, meal planning, etc, so I feel pretty prepared to make this huge change to my diet/lifestyle. My main question right now is, how long will my brain feel so foggy?

I guess this is the "flu", though other than just a slightly off feeling in my stomach and this fog, I feel fine. (I've taken the advice of lots of water and upping salt).

I'm taking the LSAT in February so I should be studying hard right now but I end up just staring at the page unable to hold any information in my head outside of what I'm working on directly. (Does this even make sense?!) I rarely have caffeine so it makes me jittery and nauseous but I feel so fuzzy right now. I tried to drink a half of a diet soda yesterday (not going to be part of my regular plan but I was desperate to study) but it didn't really sit well.

I'm not worried about being IN keto just yet - I know I still have a little ways to go before that kicks in - but will the fog clear before I'm technically in keto or am I going to lose out on an entire week's worth of studying before everything "clicks"? Is there anything I can do other than wait it out?

I appreciate anyone's input! I've been reading through the last couple months worth of posts and found you all to be helpful!

ETA: I don't know if my macros would be helpful information. Right now I'm at 140F, 80P, 25C which is 75%/19%/6%. I plan an entire days worth of food ahead of time so I know I'm hitting my numbers.

Replies

• allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've heard the Fog doesn't last too long, maybe 2-4 days?
    I feel foggy now but I don't think it's keto related. Not very good with logging, and I ate some carby foods yesterday and drank a ton of beer the day before.
    Hope you don't have many problems. The salt intake is important.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The longest I've ever heard of the fog sticking around has been one to two weeks.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I've heard the Fog doesn't last too long, maybe 2-4 days?
    I feel foggy now but I don't think it's keto related. Not very good with logging, and I ate some carby foods yesterday and drank a ton of beer the day before.
    Hope you don't have many problems. The salt intake is important.

^^^^---- Absolutely.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try to eat a bunch of fat (maybe dont be so anal about calories for the first few days until the transition is further along, drink some stock.. and salt all of your food.. it will help with the foggy feeling.
    You will feel far better.. stick with it!
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For me, the fogginess lasted up until a day after I experienced the keto flu. My keto flu was 4 days into starting keto, and I felt weak, headaches, every ailment i had was exaggerated and I had to sleep it off till I felt better... so I'd say it wasn't until day 5-6, that I finally felt completely back to normal. I remember, I was highly restricting carbs at first, so I started at least eating 20g/day and that helped a lot.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel any foggier than normal, so I can't speak to that, but it would be extremely unusual if your glycogen stores got depleted enough to get there in just one day. Are you extremely active? Otherwise, what you're feeling may not be keto-related.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your comments. I think I was being a little overzealous with the salt and decided to cut back my intake a bit. That seems to have helped. Not feeling 100% just yet but I think that may have been at least a factor in my fog.

Good news! I'm starting to lose weight!
  • Ninanator
    Options
    I had one bad day, and realized that for me, it was my lack of potassium and salt. Once I corrected this, I felt so much better with in hours. Maybe I'm just lucky, or I was able to identify and correct quickly. Good luck! Don't forget to update us on how you manage this.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    So sorry this is happening to you. It didn't happen with me, I didn't notice a fog in transition. I read that salt, electrolytes can help. Like try drinking broth.