socks

Options
Hi everyone, I have recently increased my running to 6-11km 4-5 times a week and now all of a sudden I am getting a blister in the middle of my right foot. Could anyone suggest a good quality sock? I know it isn't my shoes as I was tested for them and they are comfy (apart from the long runs). Thanks, Catiexxx

Replies

• mitchyinge
    Options
    ouch poor you, are your feet getting wet while you run?

had blisters on practically every toe recently, it was so painful, I did get fitted for new shoes but also lots of lovely socks - the best ones for me so far are Balega, they are softly padded, I can't remember which ones are their enduro and which are ultra enduro but have feeling the 'ultra' is less padded for some reason, they are all good though and no blisters now :) (although am also trying not to run on my toes so much as apparently this is bad over long distances)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I was wearing Thorlo socks for most of this year but as my long runs got longer I started feeling a couple of toes getting hot during those runs. Felt like a blister was about to form. I switched to Injinji 5-toe socks and have never had an issue since.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Not cotton! Cotton is Rotten! :laugh:

Any synthetic athletic sock should work fine. I have a couple pair of $15 Belegas and I have a bunch of UA socks that were 5 pair for $15 and when I run in them, I feel no difference.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Not cotton! Cotton is Rotten! :laugh:

^
    This!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have invested into Balega's, and so happy I did! I haven't seen these around at sports stores, but specialty running stores carry them. I love them, and they are one of the only socks I wear when running now. The Asics puts out a nice running sock that I wear on shorter runs.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just run so I can wear the socks. I LOVE the socks. And I have sensitive feet so I can tell a big difference in different socks. For my shorter during the week runs I have some Asics that I got in a three pack for $6 and they're fine for 5 or 6 miles or so. For my longer runs my favorites are Balega Hidden Comfort. Second to them are Thorlo Experia. I also have a pair of Feetures that are fairly well padded and very comfortable. I've only worn them a couple of times though but they seem like they will be decent mid to longer distance socks. I had a couple pair of Wigwam Ironman that were awesome when I got them but they wore out really fast and now they suck.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My blisters trouble stopped when I switched to Wrightsocks double layers socks!

Recently as it's too cold for those socks I've been wearing Smartwool merino socks and I like them. No blisters so far :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I like Asics Hydrology - like, $10 for 3. I have expensive Thorlo with fancy looking padding and stuff, but I wear the Asics every time. And I have these Halloween socks with little cats on them that I got at a 5K. I really like those too, but I forgot the brand.
  • mclovingirl86
    mclovingirl86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. My socks are cotton so that would explain things!
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also like the Belegas, and just to mention one more brand, Smartwool also makes some really nice running socks. My only issue with them is that they seem to attract a lot of hair...mine, the dog's, the cat's, the horse's....
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually just wear compression socks that say they're for running. I got a blister in between my toes on my half marathon. So now I'm putting body glide on for long runs.
  • mclovingirl86
    mclovingirl86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do the compression socks help with calf muscle tension?
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Belega's are my sock of choice. I used to have problems with blisters, too and switched to the Belega's. Fell in love with them!
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Wright double layer socks...I used to get horrible blisters under a bunion I have, but since wearing those socks, I have had no problems with blistering. For calf compression (and overall compression), I love CW-X conditioning wear/compression tights--I won't run in anything else now. They helped my ITB issues tremendously!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have some Feetures socks that I love, they are super comfy and feel great on my feet. I also have lots of thin Danskin brand socks from Wal-Mart - I've never had a blister issue with those socks either. Basically, any synthetic sock should be fine.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Balegas are what I use and they work great!