Does this happen to anyone else?

Options
Hi I'm relatively new to the MFP community. I posted a thread in the introduction column but there were no responses. :/ my main problem with emotional eating is that I will be on track for 5 or 6 days and then will have a cheat meal and i shame myself into eating cheat foods I don't even want, I just think I will never get them if u don't do it NOW. Then the shame spirals for 4 more days where I'm eating/binging and not working out. Does not help my weight kids progress ! I need community support and friends who go thru the same thing so when I eat a cookie or a slice of pizza u don't self sabotage for a week. Thanks!

Replies

• bluesunset2015
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to MFP too, feel free to add me :) I have the same issue when it comes to keeping on track! I feel like I will never be able to eat the stuff that I enjoy so much and I end up binging on it! I know that this is my body playing with my mind, but at the end of the day, I still have to find that will power and control myself! Some people advice on having a "cheat" day, where you can indulge on your fav food and with moderation, but I can't do that, so I just avoid anything that triggers my binging, until I know I will be able to control it.
  • Annabella116
    Options
    Both of you sound just like me, I tend to do the same thing...If i go off my eaiting plan Ill eat a "BAD" food(which is ridiculous to label any food bad) and once I allow myself to eat it I will binge. I end up on a binge cause I feel Im not allowed to eat these things so today Im allowed so fill up and gorge cause its allowed today....Crazy but true. Im not even hungry when I binge just feeling like I cant eat this so Im gonna eat it cause im giving myself a green lite just for today. I think we are so brainwashed that there are foods that are BAD and that we cant eat that it makes us want it more. So i guess its everything in moderation cause once u cut something out it becomes taboo and hello to a binge.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I found that everytime I created a "bad" food I lose my control when I eat it. So this time I decided that there are no "bad" foods and that if I really want something that I have to measure out a portion. make sure that I slowly enjoy it, and if necessary throw the rest away. After throwing away food after I had what allowed myself I have slowly been teaching myself what a portion is, what part of my life that food needs to be, not to feel guilty about wasting food, and who is the master of me (hint: it is not food anymore).

Am I always sucessful, I wish but I am refusing to give up even when I backslide. I pick myself up and ask myself if I learned something and try to do it differently next time.
  • Annabella116
    Options
    I agree 100%
  • bluesunset2015
    Options
    I found that everytime I created a "bad" food I lose my control when I eat it. So this time I decided that there are no "bad" foods and that if I really want something that I have to measure out a portion. make sure that I slowly enjoy it, and if necessary throw the rest away. After throwing away food after I had what allowed myself I have slowly been teaching myself what a portion is, what part of my life that food needs to be, not to feel guilty about wasting food, and who is the master of me (hint: it is not food anymore).

Am I always sucessful, I wish but I am refusing to give up even when I backslide. I pick myself up and ask myself if I learned something and try to do it differently next time.

Very well said! The key is moderation and not giving up when you fall off the wagon. I still need to work on that :(
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    We all have a great deal in common.
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yup i completely agree. i learned long ago that if i realllllly reallllly want something and the craving is not fleeting/momentary - I should just go eat it. otherwise i spend so much time obsessing over the "banned food" and eat so many calories trying to get the same satisfaction.

i call this situation: "just eat the cheesecake!"
  • lorrierobertson
    Options
    I'm completely in the same boat as you!! I allow myself to have a more laid back kinda day on a Sunday.. it always leads me to binge on the most unhealthy, junk food which I would NEVER allow myself to eat when im in control.. then it takes me about another 3/4 days to get back on track!! I am so SICK of it so im reeeeally gonna try get out this stupid disorder.. I want to be able to allow myself to have a little treat on a sunday without it spiralling out of control!!!

Trying to go a month clean without a bloody binge!!

feel free to add me :)
  • Annabella116
    Options
    every post on ths thread sounds like me : ) its really an awful feeling to feel out of control...If i have a banned food then I will binge cause I feel I cant eat it but if i let myself eat a banned food I sometimes want more and will binge anyway UGH.... feel free to add me
  • 12weeksandcounting
    Options
    You have all just described how I behave and the reason I have found myself back on mfp today.

Another weekend where I have been out of control on the basis that I need to start back on my diet on Monday! How ridiculous.

Anyone got the magic answer cause I am stumped on how to get myself out of this cycle??
  • kimdcherry1
    Options
    My problems is that I will eat good for days and weeks, then there is that celbration or holiday and I get off track so bad and struggle getting back on track. Makes me mad when I gain, but when I eat things I shouldn't I just binge. I hate feeling like a food addict, really didn't realize I was this way until the last few years and recognizing it alot more as I am getting older. :(
  • kimdcherry1
    Options
    I started back on my diet yesterday and actually did good until.......I went to a friends house and had a loaded baked potato, which led to the rest of the sweet potato casserole when I got home and topped it off with 2 english muffins and I woke up this morning bloated and felt horrible and my weight was up 2 more pounds from yesterday. My other problem is I retain alot of fluid, I've been on fluid pills for 23 years now and it just kills my weight in the mornings...:(
  • 75Juniper
    Options
    I'm currently reading How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too by Josie Spinardi. It's a great book. One of the points she makes that really resonates with me is her Eating Cuz You Ate principle. You eat something off plan, feel guilty about it, and binge because you blew it. It's one thing to recognize a pattern and another thing to stop it. That's where I struggle. :/
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    My overeating is directly related to my stress level. If im having a bad day I want to eat everything in sight;and usually do. Once I get started it's like "well I already blew today,so lets keep going". When my life is low stress im at the gym and the weight falls right off. I wonder if I will ever find balance.
    I would love some new friends so everyone can feel free to add me.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do this too. My mindsset is very äll or nothing" like oh I ate acookie I might as well eat everything in sight and try again tomorrow!! I realize this is very disordered thinking and I'm trying hard to stop thinking that way
  • racheltwoshoes
    racheltwoshoes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with resilience. I am friending all of you hahaha.

I want to point out something here about eating 'cheat' foods in moderation. I have found I can't do it and it doesn't work for me. And I've learned to accept that that is OK. It's not a case of depriving myself or labeling it as 'bad' or whatever... it's a matter of those foods being triggers. If you can eat a small portion of whatever you love to keep yourself feeling happy and content, that's amazing!! I, unfortunately, can't. I turn into a crazed animal (a were-lady, if you will) desperately eating everything I see. I am addicted to food, and I need to earn my own trust back when it comes to trigger foods.

I am trying to - instead of eating 'cheat' foods in moderation - have something on hand that will satisfy that craving but in a healthy(er) form. Damage control. Through this I've found that mac and cheese is my biggest downfall - so instead of allowing myself a little bit of the good stuff here and there to prevent binges (because the were-lady comes out every. damn. time.)... I have lean cuisine mac n cheese on hand at all times. It's gross and I don't like it, but I end up ravenously licking the plastic container clean every time. It's like using a nicotine patch when you're quitting smoking. For me, it's not about liking mac and cheese, it's about NEEDING it. And until I can get to a place of just enjoying it and not needing to eat it or else I will tear my clothes off and run off into the night, I have to have my nicotine patches in the freezer.
  • ashleykells
    ashleykells Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Thank you for saying it's "ok" to not be able to eat certain foods- "trigger foods". I'm there and have wrestled with all the advice saying that if I allow myself a cheat once in awhile I'm less likely to screw up in the long haul- just not me!!! And lovely mac n' cheese gets me every time. Great idea with the lean cuisine. I've found that any creamy pasta will do it for me, I have a light tuna casserole recipe that helps to get it under control without the feeling of "cheating" and the ensuing binge. Thankful to hear I'm not the only one struggling with this!
  • breahremington
    Options
    Agree with everyone here! I liked the "were-lady" idea. I can be stuffed to the brim, on the verge of throwing up from being so full, and still stuff one more bagel or another handful of chips into my face. It really baffles me, especially when it's a food that I don't even particularly like that much. During an emotional eating binge, I will raid my pantry or fridge for just about anything. Very frustrating! I also go back and forth with the "moderation" thing. Sometimes it works and I can have a small handful of dark choco chips for a dessert and feel fine...and sometimes half the bag is gone before I even realize what happened! Grrr...

I just joined today so anyone can feel free to add me! It would be great to have some motivation and support, as I don't really have anyone in my personal life going through the same sort of fitness/health change. And support would certainly be reciprocated!
  • Julievs05
    Julievs05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had this almost my whole life. I can completely relate my friend. I have had a long road to recovery from emotional eating and still find myself on that road from time to time. I found in my particular situation that venting it out (be it a therapist or an unbiased person who is educated in this sort of thing) was the most helpful. I started to recognize that it was not the food itself that triggered binge eating or uncontrollable eating, it was something that was tied to that food. If I ate a cookie I asked myself who this reminds me of or a certain event in my life and then would go from there. A lot of the time I started realizing that it had nothing to do with the food. It had everything to do with my life and what I was getting out of eating that food (or should I say filling the void or covering a wound). It has been about eight years now since I started trying to fix it and I am just starting to get a handle on it (and I will sometime falter a little, but I do not beat myself up for it). It is one of the most difficult things a person can go through or try to overcome in my opinion. Sometimes you just have to eat to think clearly when you are finished eating (when the desire has been filled and you are more calm). I am not sure if any of this helps in any way, I just wanted to let you know what helped/helps me at my moments of "tasting" what *seems* to trigger more eating, but it might be something else. So hard. I hope you find something in the way of advice from all of the support you have received from so many. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help or if you need to 'vent.' Keep your chin up, you WILL figure it out and you WILL conquer your struggles. I promise.