Introductions

Options

Replies

• Adre_N_aline
    Options
    Hi I'm JT, I have been running for the last 3 years, I have ran more than a dozen 5ks, a half marathon, and was part of a marathon relay team. I am always looking to add running friends. I also cycle and have completed 3 century rides and two 50 milers.
  • Jhs1987
    Jhs1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Sheryl. I started C25K in January and have run a couple 5k's and a 10k, and now getting ready to run my first half at the end of October. Looking to run a few halfs in 2014 and eventually work up to a whole in the next few years. In less than a year I have gone from hating running to being addicted! I love the sense of accomplishment. Always looking for more running friends on here, feel free to add me!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

My name is Lindsey. I started running a few years ago to help with weight loss. I love it now! It's my favorite cardio. I did my first half marathon this year which was the Tinkerbell Half at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. I have two more half marathons planned for next year. I'm doing the Tinkerbell Half again in January 2014 and then I'll go to Florida to do the Princess Half Marathon 2014. The medals are too cute! Plus I always wanted to do that one. I've never wanted to do a full marathon. I may change my mind on that one in the future.

Any runners in Los Angeles, CA or anywhere feel free to add me.
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jessica, I'm 28 years old and this summer I decided to make running the center of my weight-loss!! I started out by doing C25K and 2 1/2 weeks ago I started my half-marathon training. Tomorrow I have a 6 mile run and currently am averaging 4 miles, 4 days a week of running at a 4.5 mile pace :D
  • sunnybear39
    sunnybear39 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Sonja, and I can't believe I have been able to start calling myself a long distance runner! I did my first 10K last weekend and am training now for my first half marathon in April 2014. Wanted to give myself plenty of time, as I went up in mileage too fast last time I started running more distance and ended up with shin splints and runner's knee. I did two sprint triathlons last summer and am thinking of moving into olympic tri and half marathon with possible marathon in future!
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Julie and I've been running for about 5 years. I've done one half (2:12), a handful of 10Ks, and a couple of 5K races. I took the summer off running due to IT band syndrome (still recovering from that but at least able to run again), and have been doing about three 45min runs per week since mid September. I'm looking to get back into shape firstly, and ultimately improve my 10K time (my best time was about 54 minutes so I'd like to at least get back to that speed). Also hoping to lose the 7 pounds that I gained over the summer while injured (blah!)

:-). Feel free to add me!
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello from Alabama!! Name's Jimmy. I started running May of last year at 245 lbs 6'4". I have continued to run and between the running and dieting I had lost down to 194lbs. Unfortunetly we went on vacation this year to the beach in July and since then I have had a very hard time finding my dieting groove again and thus am now sitting at 209lbs. I have started lifting so I'm hoping a few of those lbs at least are muscle mass but who knows! :/

Anyways that's my story, glad to be here and looking to find some great information.

P.S. Forgot to mention, the furthest I have run is 10 miles and the longest race has been a 10k. I will be running my first HM in Feb!
  • getfitcris14
    getfitcris14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi- newbie runner here! I'm into sprints, but I'm training for my first half in April 2014. I welcome any and all suggestions, as running distance is tough for me mentally. After 5 mins I'm like "I could be doing something a lot more productive" lol
  • damienkstanton
    Options
    Hi All,

I just ran my second marathon yesterday (Marine Corps Marathon). I am here to learn from and provide advice to other members of the community.

In addition to continuing to run distance (10K+ on an average long run) my goal now is to cut my fat % from ~16 to ~9 and build some bulk for the upcoming spring rugby season.

If anyone has similar goals, questions or anything to add please let me know!

Best,
    Damien
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I started exercising this summer to lose weight and participated in my city's walk to run program for women. From that experience I have developed a passion to run. I never ever thought that would happen without packs of rabid dogs behind me! Anyway, now I have goals to become a distance runner. I hope to learn from everyone here and become a real deal runner.
  • racheldeherrera
    racheldeherrera Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!
    I am Rachel. I live in the great state of Colorado. I started running about 10 years ago. Mostly on the treadmill in the gym. I found that running outside is so much more relaxing, so now I mostly trail or road run.

When i see Long Distance running, the first question I have is 'How far is Long distance?' I think of long distance as marathon or ultra distances. We have plenty of those athletes in colorado. I personally am content with 1/2 marathon distances. Since I like to do other activities like hiking, snowshoeing, or something else outdoors. I only have a limited amount of time and I have found 1/2 marathon training fits in to that schedule.

I am new to the forum and need MyFitnessPall buddies, so please add me.

Thanks,
    Rachel
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Shirley,

I used to run when I was in High School, I ran Track and Cross Country. After High school I started training for a full Marathon but got injured during the process. My knees gave out and maybe it was due to not having proper shoes. I was not able to run for years because every time I tried my knees would hurt like crazy.
    A year ago I picked up running again, after having two kids and gaining a lot of weight I wanted to get back into it. I have not stopped and I love the feeling you get on race day, the feeling of conquering a distance. I race to beat myself and better my times. I have completed 2 5ks, 2 10ks and currently training for my first Half in March of next year.
    I am still trying to loose weight but I am not running for those reasons anymore I love the feeling and it is my therapy.

Add me I love having running friends
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Nicole.
    I've run 2 full marathons, 7 halfs & a bunch of 5s, 10s & 15ks.
    I'm training for my 3rd marathon (May 2014) & first half ironman triathlon (Sept 2014), so shedding some pounds while training is the goal!
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hello. I’m Cara from Washington, DC. Once upon a time I was a (kind of lazy) high school cross country runner; I’ve picked up distance running again in recent years and it is my wonderful happy zen place! I’ve run four half-marathons in the last two years with times ranging from 2:03 (decent training effort) to 2:17 (knee injury + 90 degree heat + not really training—not recommended, haha).

My goal for this year is to FINALLY break the 2 hour mark. My attempt to do so last year resulted in hurting myself, so I’m really trying to do a better job of building up a strong base, running more consistently (I have a bad habit of not doing all my weekday runs), and incorporating more strength training. Hopefully that will help.

Still no strong desire to do a full marathon. :) Maybe someday? A triathlon sounds more appealing when I'm ready to try something new.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just realized I never did this.
    One of my very first jobs, when I was about 16 years old, was at Runner's World magazine, in the warehouse. But I did not get the bug, did not even understand it. This was before the running craze of the late 1970s; it was just barely getting started. So I saw no new movement or trend. I just thought it was kind of weird -- when I thoughtfully considered it at all. Besides, the company had a bunch of magazines in those days -- Karate World, Yoga World, Archery World, etc. They all seemed kind of fringe.
    I had started smoking when I was 14 years old, anyway, so running wasn't comfortable and wasn't going to be a part of my regimen. In fact, smoking had ruined my soccer playing. I remember the last competitive game I played, I had been smoking the night before a championship game. I went out on the field and I was gasping for air with my first jog. I could not run -- not soccer running anyway. We lost the game. Coach was mad. He blamed me, for letting the team down. He made me stay, even though the game was over and the season was over, and run, lap after lap after lap, around the field, for an hour.
    I did not learn my lesson. i just gave up soccer, and most kinds of athletic physical activity for about five-six years.
    Soccer players like to say that you can drink and play soccer, but you cannot smoke. There is some truth to that.
    Then, at about 20 years, I started lifting weights, mostly because I liked going to the gyms where they had saunas and steam rooms and hot tubs. But I began to enjoy the exercise, and for some reason I began to run.
    I lived in a large apartment complex at the time and, I think, the first few times I went out to run I ran down one side of the complex and back. AND I was seriously winded.
    But, I kept at it -- not sure why -- and in a few weeks I was going around the perimeter of the complex. In a few months, I was going down the road a half mile or so, and back. Again, I am not sure why I found this so satisfying. It was hard. But I did. I liked it. I also felt impelled to go a little further each time, or a little faster, to push myself, so I felt the fatigue afterwards, or the runner's endorphins, or something.
    Soon, I was running miles and considering myself a runner.
    My family lived at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains and so, when I was home, I would go running up the hills, up the steepest streets I could find. We had one climb that we christened "Agony Hill," in tribute to the famous Agony Hill in Kenya, because it was about 300 yards of an incline of about 30 degrees or so. It was at the end of a three-mile run and my brother and I would sprint it, and get to the top, and practically collapse to the ground, with our chests heaving furiously as we panted and struggled to get our breath. Five minutes later, when we had recovered, we would head back down, slowly, gently.
    I have run ever since, almost 30 years. I have run through shin splints and side aches and blisters and almost 15 years of plantar fasciitis. (I am so old, when I first got it, hardly any runner knew anything about it. I went to the running store looking for advice, and we had to look it up in a book. Even very few coaches could give you advice, because they did not coach guys who were old enough, or trained enough, to get it.)
    I once ran a 10K in a little over 38 minutes and I once ran the Boston Marathon without a number. (In the old days, they let people do that. The 5,000 [or whatever it was] registered runners lined up at the start line, and then they let the 10,000, or so, unqualified runners line up behind them. We ran the course, and all the residents and spectators stayed long enough for us to come by too, and cheered! Interestingly, in those days, there was a huge mystique about the "wall," which turned your legs to jelly when a runner hit at about 19 miles to 21 miles. Anyway, because of that mystique, you never took a training run that went that far, unlike today. You might do a couple of 16 milers, maybe a 17 miler. But, you never did 19 because that was the wall. As I recall, the thinking was that the wall was some kind of a physical limit, where all your glycogen stores were depleted, and you were not going to be able to change that anyway. It wasn't something you could improve with training. So, why try?)
    Smoking makes running really hard, but not impossible. You just have to keep up your training. You lose your lung capacity fast when you don't keep up. Still, even with regular running, it impairs your ability so much that I began to refrain from smoking during the day before I took my run. I would wait until after; then I would smoke.
    I took up soccer again and I similarly would refrain from smoking before a soccer game. In fact, I was so embarrassed about being a smoker that I never told any of my teammates that I smoked, and I certainly never smoked in front of any of them.
    Finally, about four years ago, I got a prescription for Chantix, the nicotine agonist drug, and I quit. People say: "Oh, you must have felt so much better when you quit." But, the truth is: no. I did not feel that much cleaner or clearer or more healthy when I quit. I just did not have the nicotine addiction anymore. I attribute the not feeling healthier to running. It kept me in shape and it kept my lungs somewhat clear, despite the smoking. I don't know if that makes sense, but I do know that research has shown that smokers who run significantly reduce their risk of lung cancer (by about half). When I quit, the only significant change was that I was no longer addicted to nicotine. But, that is no small thing, and I am incredibly grateful to Chantix.
    Unfortunately, about three years ago, right after I had begun feeling comfortable with not smoking, I tore my ACL. I had the surgery and was on crutches for about twelve weeks -- which is a really long time. It has been a long road back, with many setbacks. But, the past few months, I have finally gotten to where I can run again, without any significant pain at all, and it makes me so happy.
    I don't race very much, and I don't like wearing a GPS watch, and obsessing about how well I am training and how fast I am going. I just like going out, rain or shine or sleet, and experiencing the world and the weather, and going down the road, with my cares falling away behind, and seeing what is around the corner, and going a little further or a little faster each time, because that is how you get the endorphins.
    I still look forward to my run every time.
  • wndrwmn86
    wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Marissa. I am new to the running scene. My younger sister has done several halfs and we are signed up to do my first in Houston on January 19th. I am pumped for it. Running has turned out to be such a great stress reducer and I would appreciate any tips you more experienced guys may have on making sure I do not injure myself in the long runs.
  • eabernst
    eabernst Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm eabernst and I got into running via triathlons. I'm originally a cyclist, and I used to HATE running (I even liked the swim better then the run at first). I mean, any time I had an option workout I would most definitely NOT run. That was 5 years ago. After another tri, and a new job with an active group of runners, I've come to love running *almost* as much as riding my bike, and ALL my option workouts are runs!

I've done four half marathons, a few 10 milers, and some 5 and 8Ks (weirdly, I've never run a 10K that wasn't preceded by a swim in the lake and a ride on my bike). This year, I'm hoping to complete 3 or 4 halves (including a possibly crazy one here in Chicago in January). For my next half, I'm aiming for a 1:50 (my current PR is 1:53:16 just over a year ago). I also hope to....do my first marathon fall 2014!
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My name is Jess. I have my first half marathon next weekend at Cedar Point! :) I've only been running for about 15 months. I have dreams of running my first full marathon in Disney next year! :)
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Jeff from NJ

Just getting back into running after some on and off again over the past few years. About 7 or 8 years ago I was running a bunch of races ranging from 5k up to marathon (did two of those). Now married and with two 18 month old boys, I like to run in the evening to unwind, have some time to myself, and to also aide in improving health.

I am signed up for a Rugged Maniac in July 2014 and will probably get into a few different races next year as well.

Feel free to add me here - I also use Endomondo app for running if anyone wants to friend me there too

http://www.endomondo.com/profile/5613875
  • mclovingirl86
    mclovingirl86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Catie from Brisbane Australia. I am currently training for my first 1/2 marathon after completing a 10k last year. :D