Another noob question...

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
Sorry I know I have been asking a lot of questions. I did a month at one box via a Groupon and loved it but wanted more instruction. So I started an onramp program with a different box yesterday and I love the instruction and the encouragement. But the place was packed!!! I mean there was a least 20 people in the crossfit class before me and 20 after me. The room is not that big. They did say they were adding on in 7 weeks and would be doubling in size but holy monkeys (at the other box they considered 8 people a big class.) How many people are in your classes? Do I need to be concerned the place is that popular? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Replies

• sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For me it would seem that it is a good thing. My 6am class regularly has 20-25 people in it, but our box is big enough to handle it and we usually have 2 coaches (instructing and checking form).
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    it's probably good for the gym (business, revenue), but I prefer the smaller classes. The box I go to has proably 15 or so going to evening classes, but the 5am class is still pretty small, so I go in the mornings.
  • tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My 4pm class typically has between 8-12 people in it, but it has been as high as 20 and as low as 4. I think it will depend on the day and everyone else's schedules, but i wouldn't worry about it too much. You said they are already planning on expanding the size of the box, so as long as there is enough equipment for everyone to use, the number there shouldn't be an issue. if you don't think you are getting the help you need from the coach, tell them about it after class. All the coaches i've talked to are more than willing to make sure everyone is working out properly and getting the help they need.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Sorry I know I have been asking a lot of questions. I did a month at one box via a Groupon and loved it but wanted more instruction. So I started an onramp program with a different box yesterday and I love the instruction and the encouragement. But the place was packed!!! I mean there was a least 20 people in the crossfit class before me and 20 after me. The room is not that big. They did say they were adding on in 7 weeks and would be doubling in size but holy monkeys (at the other box they considered 8 people a big class.) How many people are in your classes? Do I need to be concerned the place is that popular? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

My box has more than doubled in size in that time I've been there. If you have a good visualization of what that will look like and 20 people will fit comfortably, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ask the coaches if they have some limit in mind for total membership too. My box is located inside a regular gym and the owner realized he was earning far more per square foot with CF than with the rest of the place but at some point they will stop taking new members
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    it's a good thing...I'd say our average class is 10 people. 15 is getting crowded at our box
  • Howbouto
    Options
    Thank you all! I am very intimidated by that number of people in the class right now. But all of December the 6 pm hour my class of four gets priority for the whole gym. I figure I will stay until they expand and see if it is too crowded or not and decide from there. I have to remember that is was also Monday and every gym in America is packed on Mondays.

On a side note, if you watch the biggest loser the blurb they did on Holly Mangold qualifing for Nationals was done at that new crossfit box. Which,I think is pretty cool.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you will get a ton of new members in January. New Years Resolutions. Most won't stick around, but they will gum things up a bit.
  • CrossFitSandra
    Options
    At my box we have to sign up online for classes (not required for open gym time), and the class size is limited to 10 athletes max. I go to the "the sun still isn't up by the time it's over" 5am class, and we rarely have more than 8 - usually only 4 or 5 of us. Mon-Wed-Fri tend to be more packed than Tues-Thurs.
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    I personally like the smaller classes. I feel like I get better instruction. I switched from the 5:30 AM class which had 20-25 to the 6:15 AM class which has 10-12.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    our 5.45am class maxes out at 10 people - it's a small space though. Personally I prefer the smaller classes
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    for us, time is the biggest factor.

6am and 6/7pm classes are the busiest w/ 15-20ish people.
    9am and 4pm are slower with 8-10 people. i've been in a class at 4pm and 8pm that had 4-5 people.

that being said, i think 10 people is my happy place. enough people to get a good vibe and some friendly competition, but not too many people where you're short on space or good coaching.
  • Howbouto
    Options
    I asked my owner/on ramp coach about it. My 2 concerns with big classes are one enough room and 2. someone watching my form/coaching me so I don't get hurt. He stated the room issue will be resolved with expansion in January. States in the big classes there is only one coach (right now) but usually there is another coach taking the class and the senior member also helps out a lot. It made me feel better. I don't mind the number but I still want the personal service.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There is no pattern to class sizes at my box. Yesterday the 9am had 16 people, today there were 9 people. I love the small classes, under 10 people ideally, but the big classes don't phase me too much. We have enough space for everyone and regardless of class size there is always at least 2-3 coaches for the session, plus others wandering around who will pick you up on bad form etc if need be. Can't actually think of a single thing to complain about at my box :)