New here

Options
I'm 6' 270, how much weight should I lose before I consider getting back into riding. I've some experience when I was much younger (quarterhorses and recreational riding in the south east). I really want to get back into it, but I don't want my weight to interfere with my ability to really learn and experience. There are a couple of stables here around the area that offer lessons.

Replies

• epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome!

As far as what weight you should be before getting back on a horse depends on many factors. A general rule of thumb is the rider and tack should be no more than 20% of the horse's bodyweight. That makes the average 1000 lb horse should only carry about 200. There are some who think a horse can carry 25% (and some can) making that about 250. If you have a fine bone breed (Arab/TB) they may not be able to handle as much, whereas a draft cross or a draft pony such as a Haflinger can likely carry a more substaintial rider.

How's that for a complete non answer?

Here's how I did it when I lost weight. I made sure I was under 225 lbs when I went back to riding. By that point in time I had exercised enough that I had some reasonable ability to balance and use my core again. One great suggestion I had was to ride bike (not stationary) as that will help to improve your balance similarly to what you will use on the horse. Call and see if the stables have a weight limit. Several of the riding horse strings I worked with out west wouldn't let anyone over 250 ride.

Good luck. I think for you it is less about weight and more about stretching, core strength and balance.

Pip
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the horse. I have a little mare that could carry me plus a saddle no problem, I also have a gelding a little bigger that could do the same. Then my love Nik, he is 26, he can't carry me and a saddle. Well he will, but it hurts him so I don't ride him. My goal is to ride the tar out of the little ones, and hope I can get back below 130lbs so I can enjoy riding my old man in his twilight years. He carries children no problem, so I am hoping 130lbs and I can bust out the old english saddle for quality time.

But yes most horses can carry 20%, I have met several who can carry more. When Nik was younger he didn't blink when he had over 300lbs on his back. I used to ride him double with an old boyfriend. I weighed 120, he weighed 220, and we even rode with a saddle... Nik took us on many trail rides with out complaint, he's a lot older now though. =/ (keep in mind Nik was also over 16hands and 1400+lbs... old bred appaloosa that likely has draft in his family tree.)
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I rode my Sully at 345 with a 26lb Aussie saddle. My limitations were massive. I didn't do much trotting, no galloping, because I couldn't keep from slamming his back. But he's a 16.2 draft cross that weighs anywhere from 1600 to 1900 lbs depending on the quality of the pasture he's on :) I also went to great lengths to make sure he didn't become sore in his back and elsewhere. I think a larger rider has to know they're larger, and has to ride like they're larger and take their horse into consideration. That said, you'll likely run into a lot of discrimination from smaller riders who assume you don't have your horse's best interest at heart.

I'm guessing at 6' you likely carry your weight well. I do, as well. I'm tall and athletic under my fat, and I have good core, leg and balance. I also mountain bike, and it does help a lot. I'm down to 280 now, and Sully acts like I'm not on his back at times! :) It's nice to feel your horse respond to your weightloss.

I also go by the 20% rule. And keep in mind that a taller horse doesn't necessarily equal a stronger horse. If you can find a barn that utilizes some draft/draft crosses, you'll likely find a good match :) Good luck!
  • lisaonline
    Options
    Just started MFP....trail riding crazy 50 year old woman that would love to meet some other horse lovers trying to loose weight!
  • nasska16
    nasska16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Any other competitive barrel racers in this group? I just joined MFP. Got two barrel horses running, a project going, and a beginner's lesson business I'm running. I'm very busy, get plenty of excercise, but I swear I'm ADDICTED to eating. Hopefully this will be the start to changing that.

Grr, I have better technique as a rider than I did as a 17 year old, but I'd sure love that body back....it really made staying with these powerhouses a lot easier coming out of the barrel! I really want to get in shape for many reasons, but I'd love to get back into some tight blingy Ariat jeans and blow everyone into the 2D cuz I'm so light my horse doesn't know I'm on it ;) Let's face it, you never see chunky girls at the WNFR!

Anyone else find it difficult to workout for the sake of working out when you know you still have stalls, shelters, and pens to muck out?