Cinnamon

Options
Luizam25
Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
Just want to share my recent experience with you. I've had poor results for my fasting glucose for a few months now. My family doctor asked me 1 year ago to change from 1500 mg Metformin to 1000 mg and it seemed Ok but not for long. My endocrinologist (I go to a diabetes/weight management clinic monthly) decided to increase the dose again to 1500 but I did not see huge changes after that either. So, I got worried. I read a few articles about some of the natural ingredients we can use to help with regulating blood glucose and got some relevant info on cinnamon. I always used it in all foods it can be used but I found some capsules and started to use them (2 daily). I am getting better values in the morning (from and average 8.5 to 6.5). I am very happy.
The product I use is called "Cinnamon force" but any organic/naturist store will carry something similar. I does help along diet and medication (there is no side effect).
I hope this info can help other people too.

Replies

• Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just want to share my recent experience with you. I've had poor results for my fasting glucose for a few months now. My family doctor asked me 1 year ago to change from 1500 mg Metformin to 1000 mg and it seemed Ok but not for long. My endocrinologist (I go to a diabetes/weight management clinic monthly) decided to increase the dose again to 1500 but I did not see huge changes after that either. So, I got worried. I read a few articles about some of the natural ingredients we can use to help with regulating blood glucose and got some relevant info on cinnamon. I always used it in all foods it can be used but I found some capsules and started to use them (2 daily). I am getting better values in the morning (from and average 8.5 to 6.5). I am very happy.
    The product I use is called "Cinnamon force" but any organic/naturist store will carry something similar. I does help along diet and medication (there is no side effect).
    I hope this info can help other people too.

Actually, there is something that you should be aware of. I, too, went on a cinnamon supplement, the Kroger's Advanced Formula of Cinsulin. It's a Cinnamon/Chromium/Vitamin D supplement (Don't get the Costco's kind, it doesn't work). It brought my fasting BGs down 20 points (mg/dl), so about like you. Trouble is that it works by causing your body to produce more insulin (like a Glip) and, over time, burns out your pancreas even faster than it would have, leaving you, in time, completely dependent on insulin.

I've since stopped the Cinsulin, but I was grateful for it in the short term. My plan was to replace it with more exercise, and that worked out nicely. That was my choice, and it wasn't a great one, but, probably like most people, those fasting numbers can be distressing. In retrospect, I probably should have just exercised. :(
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for this interesting discussion. It's great that you go to the diabetes clinic monthly; did you talk with them about taking cinnamon? It's always a good idea to review supplements with your medical team, because there could potentially be side effects we're not aware of. I like the suggestion to increase exercise as well! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Luizam25
    Options
    Thanks for info/advice.

I go to my diabetes clinic Saturday and I'll ask about cinnamon. I never knew about any side effect.

I guess diet and exercise are the only safe methods.

...can be daunting at time...

good luck.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Let us know what the folks at the diabetes clinic have to say about cinnamon, would you? Thanks! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Luizam25
    Options
    I will, for sure.

I am going to ask the pharmacist as well.
  • Luizam25
    Options
    Cinnamon:

- my endocrinologist and nutritionist told me today that there is no scientific evidence that using cinnamon to help in diabetes management can generate side effects but, at the same time, there is not medical research to support the benefits either.; they said I could use it if I want.
    - the pharmacist said something similar; cinnamon is a natural product, they would not comment on its benefits/side effects because they don't have info on that.
    I have no intention to use this too much. I want to get my weight in control and this is what I hope will help me better.

Best to all.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for sharing what you learned today! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon:

- my endocrinologist and nutritionist told me today that there is no scientific evidence that using cinnamon to help in diabetes management can generate side effects but, at the same time, there is not medical research to support the benefits either.; they said I could use it if I want.
    - the pharmacist said something similar; cinnamon is a natural product, they would not comment on its benefits/side effects because they don't have info on that.
    I have no intention to use this too much. I want to get my weight in control and this is what I hope will help me better.

Best to all.

I've tried a number of supplements & also came to a similar conclusion. Some worked for me & some didn't...losing 30#'s by eating to my meter helped the most.

Biotin & Chromium GTF helps me & I continue to take these supplements. Cinnamon, Bitter Melon did nothing for me. Berberine increased my blood pressure to alarming levels.

It was my understanding that the hope is that supplements make you more sensitive to the insulin you already make, thereby giving beta cells a rest & your pancreas a chance to grow new ones.

But, meh...who knows :ohwell: Losing weight by cutting carbs & walking for exercise (in addition to other things) helped me the most. :drinker:
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience, and congratulations on making such positive changes! ~Lynn /Glucerna