Bulletproof Coffee question

Options
Hi all,

New to the group and considering either paleo or ketogenic-to-paleo diet after years of "dieting hiatus". I've only heard of Bulletproof coffee recently and can't wait to try it out. However, I'm not making an actual diet change yet due to various non-holiday reasons, so I'm wondering if it would be more harmful than helpful to start drinking it while still eating a relatively large amount of carbs. If anyone has experience with drinking Bulletproof while not ketogenic/low carbing and could share their results, I would really appreciate it!

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be NOT to combine a very high fat drink, like bpc, with high carb foods. Seems like a recipe for disaster. It's like eating donuts and brownies. Pick one route, high fat or high carbs, and keep them separated.
  • catabolicmind
    Options
    Thanks frutti. I didn't mean I would be drinking it with a high carb food at the same meal, just that I would be replacing breakfast with it and then eating as I usually would for the rest of the day. I'm also not eating an extreme amount of carbs, just more than would be considered acceptable for a paleo/lowcarb diet. If that's what you actually meant though, that would confirm my suspicions.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm ketogenic Paleo/Primal (depending if I'm eating cheese or not lol). I do think it would be beneficial to include coconut oil in your diet, but I have to agree that if you are consuming lots and lots of carbs, you might want to keep fat lower.

I don't really think replacing breakfast with BP would be bad. Perhaps you would go longer before being hungry and also be prone to eat less? That's my experience with BP coffee anyway. You could try just putting a teaspoon each of oil and butter in a cup of coffee instead of large amount too. I drink a lot of coffee, so that's what I do.
  • catabolicmind
    Options
    That's what I'm thinking of doing, but I'm guessing I'm not going to get the same mental/energy boost if I'm not currently in ketosis since the body will have to work harder processing the fat, etc. Still, as long as I keep calories down the rest of the day it's probably worth trying out and seeing how it works in a non-ketogenic system. (I guess I just kind of answered my own question, but I was trying to see if someone had actually done it before. Perhaps I will try it out and report back!)
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend a combo of high carbs and high fat via the BP but in the short term it's probably not a bad idea as a way to help you ease the transition into primal/paleo eating and may help ease the initial carb flu that some experience in the beginning (higher fat intake is usually recommended to help with this).
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

New to the group and considering either paleo or ketogenic-to-paleo diet after years of "dieting hiatus". I've only heard of Bulletproof coffee recently and can't wait to try it out. However, I'm not making an actual diet change yet due to various non-holiday reasons, so I'm wondering if it would be more harmful than helpful to start drinking it while still eating a relatively large amount of carbs. If anyone has experience with drinking Bulletproof while not ketogenic/low carbing and could share their results, I would really appreciate it!

Provided you are still within your calorie goals, it should not be a problem at all.

I've used BP as a fat source while still getting 300g carbs throughout the day and adequate protein. Results? Same as when I acquire fat from alternate sources.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have used BPC. I find it does what it claims, but the Kerigold butter and MCT oil is not a good blend if you have alot of carbs as others have said. Also, just be aware that for some, it messes their digestive track for a while. It did not do that for me, but I use coconut oil for cooking, etc....
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    BP coffee as a replacement for your breakfast would be fine but BP coffee with some oatmeal and a banana would not be.

Eat all the carbs you want just don't do it until lunch and dinner.