Egg Fast

Options
jenb1830
jenb1830 Posts: 19 Member
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to reach out and let you all know that I will be doing a 5-day egg fast with some of my coworkers starting tomorrow. If you are new to the term "egg fast", it is basically just eating only eggs (and fats like coconut oil, butter, and mayo) for the duration of the "fast" period. I will still have coffee and tea, just as long as it is adequately "fatted" up with either heavy cream or coconut, something along that nature. I have had success with this in the past and I am using it again to jump start the weight loss process this time around. If any of you are interested in doing this with me, please feel free! And also to friend me in the process if you'd like!

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Very interested to know how the results com out...much luck!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Is this like a fat fast, only adding eggs to each meal? How many cals per day do you get to eat? Wonder how soon I would get tired of eggs....
  • Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting but I am not gonna participate, sorry. Having just eggs sounds almost nauseating to me, but that is just my opinion. Although I have heard of no-carb fasts in which you of course do not have any carbs, just protein and fat. Such as bacon, other meat, fish, fats etc.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have done an egg fast, I couldn't see eggs anymore in the end, I almost felt like an egg. The results for me was during the fast I lost about 4 to 5 pounds, after the fast all came back on...
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about egg fast for a few days.
    I'm on keto now, but I was wondering do you count callories while doing an egg fast?
    Please don't hate me for same all questions
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The challenge with eating only eggs and fats is that you will most likely drive your protein intake too high. Remember that keto uses "moderate" (or "adequate") protein. It's not a high protein diet and too much protein can drive you out of ketosis. Calculate your protein requirement based on your LBM and try to stick close to that number.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    May be try eating two meals a day instead of egg fasting. Eat same calories per day but just 2 meals.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Will try that. Tnx
    I just need some change and want to exepriment a little because I've been stalling (even gaining) for a month despite my carbs under 20-30g per day.
    Leonidas so what are you suggesting is sort of IF?
  • Ligenliefde
    Ligenliefde Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started a planned 3 day egg fast today. Had 8 boiled eggs (with required fat). Didn't go well. Felt very shaky and nauseous and now got migraine coming on. Can't explain it but I won't be carrying on with it tomorrow. I'd like to try again next week. also oddly, I was hungry all day (which I seldom am) so that was a bit odd. I thought fats and proteins were supposed to stop that?
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started a planned 3 day egg fast today. Had 8 boiled eggs (with required fat). Didn't go well. Felt very shaky and nauseous and now got migraine coming on. Can't explain it but I won't be carrying on with it tomorrow. I'd like to try again next week. also oddly, I was hungry all day (which I seldom am) so that was a bit odd. I thought fats and proteins were supposed to stop that?
    What I was kind of pointing out in my previous post is that eggs are more of a protein source than a fat source. Their ratio of fat to protein is flipped from what you want on keto if all you're eating is eggs alone (IOW, too much protein, not enough fat). You should be striving for an ~80% Fat, ~20% Protein (make up any less than those numbers with less than 5% Carbs). The only way to get there with an "egg fast" would be to drench them in butter (and lick up every last drop).
  • Ligenliefde
    Options
    What I was kind of pointing out in my previous post is that eggs are more of a protein source than a fat source. Their ratio of fat to protein is flipped from what you want on keto if all you're eating is eggs alone (IOW, too much protein, not enough fat). You should be striving for an ~80% Fat, ~20% Protein (make up any less than those numbers with less than 5% Carbs). The only way to get there with an "egg fast" would be to drench them in butter (and lick up every last drop).
  • Ligenliefde
    Options
    Yes, I see what you mean about the ratios. I hadn't realised that. :-). I did add in some extra egg yolks and had the eggs devilled with creamy mayo and whipped cream. I also had a snack of 2oz of whipped cream during the day. I think I may have overdone it on the fat! Anyway, the scale is smiling at me this morning which makes the headache worth it I guess. I might modify the egg thing with a fat fast in future...
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Will try that. Tnx
    I just need some change and want to exepriment a little because I've been stalling (even gaining) for a month despite my carbs under 20-30g per day.
    Leonidas so what are you suggesting is sort of IF?

You could say that!