First meal out: Mini rant/affirmation :)

Options
Tomorrow night I am going out for Thai food for a friend's birthday. It will be my first meal out of the home since I began keto.

I've scoped out the menu and have set my mind on a steak salad but I know I'm going to absolutely lust after everyone's Pad Thai - one of my all time favorite foods! I haven't really had too many carb cravings so far; I live alone and gave away 95% of what I had that was on the naughty list. Out of sight, out of mind... so far.

I wish I could be a little farther along with keto before having all this temptation, but I'm going to be strong! :bigsmile:

Replies

• LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it! But don't stress too much if you give in to temptations... not the end of the world!
  • Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    East Asian foods are really hard for low carbers. But there are some ways to eat it...

Skip noodles and rice. I think Thai soup is fine. Or just take a little break from the diet.
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    steak salad and the coconut soups are my go to meals at thai places.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    steak salad and the coconut soups are my go to meals at thai places.

Oh that sounds great! I don't think I've had coconut soup before. I'll check it out -- thank you!
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I went out for lunch this week, also the first time since taking keto serious. I got a hamburger and asked for no sauce and no bun. First they were making a problem of it and saying that was not possible. But then the manager came to my table and asked me right away if I was eating low carb :) And told me it was not a problem and that they will add some extra salad and nuts. I know it's not possible to ask for changes in the meal in every restaurant. But you could give it a try if there's something on the menu but you don't want one of the ingredients.

I love thai food as well. At the beginning of me eating keto (wasn't really taking it so serious at that moment) I had it once a week, but I noticed that I would have cravings the next days. But I also read there are a lot of people that don't have any problems with a carb meal once a week of once in two weeks. It probably depends on how your body responds to it. Sometimes you just need to treat yourself a bit and cheat ;) And if you do so, just get right back on track the next day and you'll be fine!
  • Ninanator
    Options
    So how did you do?!
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    RESULTS!

Much to my dismay, when I arrived, the menu was vastly different than when I looked online. There was no steak salad to be found! I tried to keep focused and ordered the ground pork salad (kinda like larb, but a handful of chopped lettuce rather than lettuce wraps) instead. It was probably equal parts pork and lettuce but there were TONS of onions and sauce.

Anyway, I did my best and I didn't give into temptation (pad thai <3) even though my plan fell through. I'm going to count that as a win.

I prepared by having zero carbs all day so I'd have plenty of buffer for tonight. I did grant myself two beers when we wandered to a brewery; I haven't been out in ages and I've had one drink in the last week and a half so I wanted to treat myself.

Ketostix have been testing in the "large" range for the previous 24 hrs. Just tested again and I got "trace," which was expected with the beer and all the onions. Glad to see that I'm still in ketosis, but I will be checking again in the AM to be sure I didn't screw things up.

Going to have a fatty snack before bed to try to balance out the macros, but I think my first evening out was pretty reasonable!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    RESULTS!

Much to my dismay, when I arrived, the menu was vastly different than when I looked online. There was no steak salad to be found! I tried to keep focused and ordered the ground pork salad (kinda like larb, but a handful of chopped lettuce rather than lettuce wraps) instead. It was probably equal parts pork and lettuce but there were TONS of onions and sauce.

Anyway, I did my best and I didn't give into temptation (pad thai <3) even though my plan fell through. I'm going to count that as a win.

I prepared by having zero carbs all day so I'd have plenty of buffer for tonight. I did grant myself two beers when we wandered to a brewery; I haven't been out in ages and I've had one drink in the last week and a half so I wanted to treat myself.

Ketostix have been testing in the "large" range for the previous 24 hrs. Just tested again and I got "trace," which was expected with the beer and all the onions. Glad to see that I'm still in ketosis, but I will be checking again in the AM to be sure I didn't screw things up.

Going to have a fatty snack before bed to try to balance out the macros, but I think my first evening out was pretty reasonable!

I like your pragmatic style. You are not beating yourself up over things, you measure your progress, and you test alternatives to see which works better without being inflexible. Nice. Sounds like you are going to be ok!
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    Happy to confirm that I did indeed remain in ketosis this morning and have continued to lose weight! So far, keto is blowing my mind!