Restarting C25K?

Options
I've been trying to be a runner for the past 1 1/2 years. When I say try, I really mean try. Last winter I had a stress fracture that I truly believe came from over training. I was running on a treadmill every day. Then this past summer probably in about August, I tried to do a couch to 5 K program and had a flaring screaming plantar fasciitis start to plaque me so I stopped the running and tried to stick to elliptical. Well I think I have learned that the key to plantar fasciitis is really really stretching before and after running. I've been doing some training now where I do elliptical for 3 miles and then go run on the treadmill for a mile. I have been thinking of trying the couch to 5K program again. Anyone else have some history like mine that has made running work for them. I have dreams of doing 5Ks and then maybe a 10K and then who knows, maybe a half marathon? What's the best route to get there?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps with PF, especially the calves. The other thing you might check in to is a foot brace for sleeping.

What I would do is start the C25k program, run as slowly as I physically could manage and stop at the first sign of pain. Make sure you warm up well before running with a 1/4 or 1/2 mile of walking. Run only three days a week so that your body has enough time to repair and recover between runs.

Also, have you been professionally fitted for shoes in a running store?
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice!!!! And yes i was fitted in August. I'm hoping with proper stretching and taking it very slow, I will get this!!!:smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend the book "Anatomy for Runners" as well.
  • bgoldham72
    bgoldham72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 tries before I finished C25K. The first time I pulled a calf muscle. Next I had some severe knee pain and had to quit again. Finally on the third attempt I ran slower and at the first sign of any pain I'd walk back to my truck and go home. I still missed a few workouts due to tight sore calves or a stiff knee, but I noticed that when I was able to run again after an extra day or two of rest I could still pick up where I had left off. I ended up finishing C25K in 11 weeks instead of the 9 weeks on my app. But now can finish a5k without much trouble.

No one will give you a big check for finishing exactly as the plan is written, so take an extra rest day or just walk if something doesn't feel quite right. Listen to your body, take your time and you will be running 5k's before you know it.