Avoiding a Binge

Options
How do you avoid binges? My triggers include: chocolate, refined carbs, processed foods. I am thinking it is in my best interest to avoid these entirely until I get a manage on my emotions. What do you think?

Replies

• 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I avoid them by not even taking the first bite. If I get a taste of chocolate or potato chips (mainly those, but there are others, too), it isn't long before I'm out of control and too ashamed to log my calories. It wasn't that long ago I sat down with a half can of Pringles and emptied it. Honestly, I could have eaten the whole can. So, I completely agree with you. it's best for me to completely avoid, as well.
  • haydenwyatt
    Options
    I'm not sure how to explain this but usually, I'll have a piece of dark chocolate (99% cacao ). The strength and bitterness of the chocolate neutralizes my taste buds so anything which I eat would binge on afterwards (EG bread, crisps) would have no taste, hence I've convinced myself that there is no point eating anything else once I've eaten the dark chocolate... not so sure if it works on everyone else though

It takes a while to build resistance against cravings but once you have more self control, let yourself have just a little because i've once refrained myself from all sugary, salty, fatty, creamy, etc foods for 2 weeks and I reached a breaking point where I just gorged on anything which I did not let myself eat during that 2 week period..
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Refined Carbs, particularly bread, is what seems to get me into the out of control binging. I have more than once eaten a whole loaf of bread - complete with butter, olive oil, cheese, etc.

I need to keep it out of the house - and occasionally get a small quantity so that I don't feel deprived. Unfortunately if it is around it is too much temptation. Similar to Hayden, going too long without tends to mean that when I allow it, I tend to go overboard.

However I do find it's helpful to do a day of fasting to help break the habitual gorging. Seems to help clean out my system as well.
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I know that everyone is different and needs to find what works for them, but if I completely restrict things it seems to set me up for extreme binges. I have actually started buying my "forbidden foods" and portioning them out to practice moderation, enjoyment, and sitting through the discomfort of wanting to binge. I portion out different sizes; some packages are one serving size, others are two, and some are even three, that way if I am wanting more I can have a larger portion, but the calories are still somewhat controlled (If I am able to stop- which, for the most part I am).
    I think having some of these "forbidden foods" has made me not have as much intense cravings and has decreased the frequency and intensity of my binges. That being said, sometimes I am unable to avoid a binge- it happens and I lose control....but, the next day I go right back to trying to make healhier decisions.
    When I first started out 14 months ago I needed to do something a little different. I know this is controversial, but I would plan a binge day. This binge day would let me know that I was going to be able to binge and allowed me to develop some healthier eating habits throughout the rest of the week. In time, my binge day became more of a over indulgence day, then it became just a little bit of a higher calorie day, etc.
    I have had to tweak and reevaluate many times and I am sure I will again. I think I will always struggle with binge eating, I am just hoping to decrease the intensity, the frequency, and decrease the terrible feelings that are associated with my binge eating. I am making progress, but I also have more progress to make.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I avoid them by not even taking the first bite. If I get a taste of chocolate or potato chips (mainly those, but there are others, too), it isn't long before I'm out of control and too ashamed to log my calories. It wasn't that long ago I sat down with a half can of Pringles and emptied it. Honestly, I could have eaten the whole can. So, I completely agree with you. it's best for me to completely avoid, as well.

Yes, avoiding certain foods entirely works for me. Even eating a single serve bag of chips makes me start craving them and before you know it, I've eaten two bags. Aside from that, I'll drink decaf coffee or eat fruit if I'm craving something sweet. Veggie soup if I'm craving something salty. Also, just not spending the whole day at home and keeping busy keeps my mind off food.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I do not see avoiding trigger foods as "restricting" or "extreme" behavior. Bingeing is harmful and unhealthy behavior and it should be taken seriously. If I have one of those trigger foods I risk weeks or months of bingeing. I have been bingeing now for 3 weeks straight and I know I need to stop but now that I have indulged, it is as if I am afraid I will never have these foods again if I stop. It is such a horrible lie that I tell myself. It also helps me not to feel bad or jealous that others can eat these foods without bingeing. I like to think that avoiding my triggers gives me the freedom to not be ruled by the food. I hoping to break out of this binge cycle soon. Every time I do I am convinced that, for me, avoidance is the key.