Help!! Up 15 pounds

Options
Help! Banded 8/4/2011. Up 15 pounds since February 2013. Need some ideas to help jump start the weight loss again. I have started back to the gym. Going 3 days/week for an hour at a time. Am taking my multi-vitamin every day. Having a hard time with fighting the carb monster and the sweet tooth. Tanks Ladies and Gents!

Replies

• suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had RNY Jan. 2005 and gained 80 back. I finally called the surgeon's office for help after 8.5 years. Since I went in May, I've lost 34 lbs. I don't deny myself, I just make better choices most of the time. I eat lots of protein, veggies and fruits. I do need to get back eating better all 7 days instead of only during the work week.

Can you go back to your doctor's office and talk to the nutritionist?? It truly helped me, and I go back every 2-3 months (to keep me in line!). And MFP is awesome!

I also like looking at friends food diaries for ideas.

good luck and if you want to friend me, feel free! :) Just include a little message!
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Someone else that I knew gained around 15 to 20 pounds back after several years post surgery. She shared with me that she decided to go way back to the beginning of only liquids for 2 weeks and that included her protein shakes, clear broth and her bariatic soup mixes that had around 15 grams of protein. She said it was tough but that it worked for her. After 2 weeks she went back to eating 90 grams of protein a day that is chicken, fish and low fat diary. She kept away from all fruit and carbs for another 2 weeks and slowly added a piece of fruit to her diet each day. Go back to the beginning of your surgery days and give it a try. Good Luck.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Im up about 20lbs after sitting still for 2 years. Had gastritis for 2 years, twice my port has eroded through the skin and it turns out my band has probably eroded which accounts for all the hassle ive had with it!

So im off work sick while i have an endoscopy to check then probably the band out
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice you've gotten here. Go back to liquids with high protein for a bit and talk to someone in your surgeon's office. Weight gain is easy for all of us no matter which type of WLS we had. Staying vigilant is a must. Good luck!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others! Try the 5day pouch test. I can't remember the actual web address, but you can google it. It basically takes you back to just post surgery phases for 5 days. Definitely reminds you that you didn't break your pouch!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I had RNY Jan. 2005 and gained 80 back. I finally called the surgeon's office for help after 8.5 years. Since I went in May, I've lost 34 lbs. I don't deny myself, I just make better choices most of the time. I eat lots of protein, veggies and fruits. I do need to get back eating better all 7 days instead of only during the work week.

Can you go back to your doctor's office and talk to the nutritionist?? It truly helped me, and I go back every 2-3 months (to keep me in line!). And MFP is awesome!

I also like looking at friends food diaries for ideas.

good luck and if you want to friend me, feel free! :) Just include a little message!
    All the ideas were wonderful, but this one is more realistic for sure. I too have heard of the others too and they have worked for many. Whatever you do, do not give up and find what works for you.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Another suggestion is to check out below link for a webinar about the pain of regain:
    http://www.bsciresourcecenter.com/proddetail.php?prod=HopeHelpWebinar

The webinar is free and they have some wonderful classes and books on this matter. I am currently listening to "The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients" by Colleen M. Cook. I have to book too. A new addition was just published. This book will help you get back to basic and lose those unwanted pounds. Just take it one day at a time. I highly recommend checking out this website and the many tools they offer to help you get back on track.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    YOU'VE GOT SOME GOOD GUIDANCE HERE AND I MUST AGREE: GO BACK TO THE BASICS AND MAKE YOURSELF NUMBER ONE ON YOUR TODO LIST.

PROTEIN FIRST
    SUPPLEMENTS
    ADEQUATE WATER
    WEIGH & MEASURE PORTIONS
    EXERCISE IN ADDITION TO NORMAL DAILY ACTIVITIES

MAKE YOUR NECESSARY SURGICAL FOLLOW UPS. AND, NOT ENOUGH CAN BE SAID ABOUT GIVING AND RECEIVING GOOD SUPPORT REGULARLY.

WHILE SOME BLAST IT AS A FAD DIET, I LIKE THE 5 DAY POUCH TEST BECAUSE THE INITIAL DAYS OF LIQUIDS ONLY KILL THE CARB CRAVINGS. PLUS ONE IS FORCED TO MEET PROTEIN NEEDS (CURRENT WEIGHT IN LBS DIVIDED BY 2.2 EQUALS GRAMS OF PROTEIN DAILY PER MY SURGEON.).

WE KNOW THE DRILL BUT I NOW UNDERSTAND WHAT OLD SCHOOLER'S WOULD SAY WHEN I WAS A NEWBIE. THREE YEARS OR SO OUT THE BOREDOM KICKS IN. WE BECOME OVER CONFIDENT THINKING WE CAN GET AWAY WITH A FEW DEPARTURES FROM OUR LIFE PLAN. WE PLAN FOOD AND EXERCISE LESS DILIGENTLY OR NOT AT ALL. BEFORE WE KNOW IT WE'VE GAINED A FEW POUNDS.

-FOLLOW THE RULES FOR LIFE
    -AVOID YOUR PERSONAL LIST OF NAUGHTY FOODS. MOST OF US HAVE FOODS THAT WE CAN'T WIN WITH
    -WEIGH REGULARLY
    -NEVER BUY LARGER CLOTHING

WE'RE IN THE SAME BOAT. I'M UP 19.4LBS TODAY. WE'LL BOTH DO THIS BY FOLLOWING THE RULES TO THE LETTER. REMEMBER HOW BAD WE WANTED THIS PRE OP? REMEMBER HOW COMMITTED WE WERE AS NEWBIES? WE WON'T GET THAT FEELING BACK BUT WE CAN FAKE THE ENTHUSIASM. WE WILL DO THIS. NO WAY WE'VE REARRANGED OUR INSIDES TO FALL BACK INTO OLD BEHAVIORS.

I'M TOO POLITE TO HOLLER AT YOU (WITHOUT GOOD REASON, LOL). I'M NOT YELLING BUT I AM QUITE HARD OF SEEING! ;-)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    -FOLLOW THE RULES FOR LIFE
    -AVOID YOUR PERSONAL LIST OF NAUGHTY FOODS. MOST OF US HAVE FOODS THAT WE CAN'T WIN WITH
    -WEIGH REGULARLY
    -NEVER BUY LARGER CLOTHING

I'M TOO POLITE TO HOLLER AT YOU (WITHOUT GOOD REASON, LOL). I'M NOT YELLING BUT I AM QUITE HARD OF SEEING! ;-)
    LOVE LOVE THESE AND ESPECIALLY LOVE, NEVER BUY LARGER CLOTHING. A MISTAKE I WILL NOT MAKE AGAIN!!

THANKS!