how low is low carb

Options
ktsimons
ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
New to this group...when everyone says lower your carbs, how low are you talking?? less than 50 grams or 25 or none??

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The exact number depends on you. Some women do fine at 150g or more, while others can't have more than 20g total.

Low carb is typically anything under 100g. Under 100g is generally when the body starts producing ketones (basically, a sugar substitute that the body creates from burning fat to compensate for the lack of carbs). Not everyone starts producing at this level, but it's when some do. From there, the farther down you go, the more people that are in ketosis.

From there, it depends on what your goals are. If you goal is to be in ketosis, then you may need to reduce it farther. If your goal is to lose weight, you may need to reduce it to the point where you go into ketosis, or at least to the point that you are able to lose weight.

Most people won't do "zero carb," or if they do, it's net carbs, because cutting out all carbs also cuts out vegetation, which few people do (it's possible, but it's difficult, and most people aren't accustomed to eating the cuts of meat required to achieve a completely carb-free diet). You can usually get sufficient nutrients from around 20g of carbs, though, if you choose wisely.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    The exact number depends on you. Some women do fine at 150g or more, while others can't have more than 20g total.

Low carb is typically anything under 100g.

^this.

I'm on metformin and it lets me know, in a very painful way, if ive had more than 50 or so net carbs a day. But I've seen some able to eat near 100g a day on metformin and be ok. Its really what works for you. I'd have a hard time sticking to under 25g a day but others do it just fine.

the goal is to find a balance for your body and your lifestyle.
  • tiffaniannette
    Options

^this.

I'm on metformin and it lets me know, in a very painful way, if ive had more than 50 or so net carbs a day. But I've seen some able to eat near 100g a day on metformin and be ok. Its really what works for you. I'd have a hard time sticking to under 25g a day but others do it just fine.

When you have days that you have done high on the carb side how do you feel? You mention that its painful so I'm curious if my poor eating weekend if caushing me more pain than normal because of the metformin....just not sure what that means I've only been on metformin for 5 weeks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

^this.

When you have days that you have done high on the carb side how do you feel? You mention that its painful so I'm curious if my poor eating weekend if caushing me more pain than normal because of the metformin....just not sure what that means I've only been on metformin for 5 weeks.

For a lot of people, it's some form of GI upset, and anything that goes along with their particular manifestation.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

^this.

For a lot of people, it's some form of GI upset, and anything that goes along with their particular manifestation.

LOL for me, GI upset is putting it midly, its a couple days of very painful stomach, gas, intestinal and rear end pain. cant leave the house unless I take a toilet with me. I never want to see a toilet again after I eat too many carbs. Its a very painful and pointed reminder to NOT eat more carbs than I should. You'd think i'd remember not to do that anymore....

BUT...not everyone reacts so violently. But metformin will usually let you know if its too many carbs. When I first started taking it I took it with ginger pills, but some use ginger tea to help the tummy upset. Doesn't help if you go over in carbs, but helps with the tummy upset when taking it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

LOL for me, GI upset is putting it midly, its a couple days of very painful stomach, gas, intestinal and rear end pain. cant leave the house unless I take a toilet with me. I never want to see a toilet again after I eat too many carbs. Its a very painful and pointed reminder to NOT eat more carbs than I should. You'd think i'd remember not to do that anymore....

BUT...not everyone reacts so violently. But metformin will usually let you know if its too many carbs. When I first started taking it I took it with ginger pills, but some use ginger tea to help the tummy upset. Doesn't help if you go over in carbs, but helps with the tummy upset when taking it.

Haha, yeah. I figured I'd be nice about it. :laugh:
  • tiffaniannette
    Options

Haha, yeah. I figured I'd be nice about it. :laugh:

OK well I'm thankfully not as bad off but somewhat of an upset that could very well be from too many carbs this weekend. I will have to keep that in mind to see if it is from that for sure. thanks (for the nice and for the honest hahaha) :)