NYTimes: Whole Foods can be marketable in small towns

Options
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/business/whole-foods-finds-success-in-smaller-cities.html?hp&_r=1&

>Two years ago, when Whole Foods announced that it wanted to expand to 1,000 stores from a little more than 300 and open in places where it was assumed that consumers had never heard of kale and wouldn’t dream of spending $6 for a pound of humanely raised pork, some investors scoffed. Its traditional grocery store competitors snickered at the strategy. And even those on Wall Street enamored with the chain’s success expressed doubts that its forays inland into smaller, less urban markets would succeed

Replies

• nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are flabbergasted that Americans want whole foods and fruits and veggies!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    The closest Whole Foods is almost 40 minutes away for me. Our little Safeway does its best but the produce section is small and the selection limited. However, there must be others like me in my small town because this little Safeway stocks sodium-free canned vegetables and beans, kale, lots of different lettuce varieties, excellent organic tofu the next nearest grocery chain doesn't carry. Whole foods, fresh fruits and plentiful veggies are wanted even in my small town. There's just not a critical mass yet.