December chat

Options
Hi ya all. You all have been doing amazing. As for me, I put on 5 pounds over the past few months, but as of today, it is gone! I really hope to lose at least 5 to 8 more before end of Jan when I have my hip replaced. I can do it!

I am getting excited, as of next Tues the 10th. we are heading up to Lake Tahoe for 4 days to celebrate my birthday. On Tues, it will be my 2 sons and my hubby. Then on Thurs evening my daughter and her b/f will arrive and I am hoping my "son" and his family will also be up there on Thurs. We found a 3 bedroom house to rent and it was only $99 per night. Cheaper than hotels. It has a hot tub, so that will be wonderful. Then on Sat afternoon, we will head over to Reno and stay a night at the Sand's Regency. They give us free rooms. LOL

And as we all know December is going to fly by with Christmas and then a New Year. Good luck to us all for staying on track! And for those who take a break this month, I know you will come back in Jan fighting!

Happy December to all of us.

Replies

• gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Happy December, Californiagirl. Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful birthday celebration!

I'm back on track this month. I think I indulged my every eating whim by eating every sweet or salty snack I could find when we were visiting in Baton Rouge, but I made up my mind on the way home that it had to STOP! Boy, was I surprised when I got on the scale at home and saw that I hadn't gained any weight--I don't know how that happened, but I'm very glad. Now I can start working on those last 5lbs that I really, really want to lose.

No big plans for this month besides Christmas. My daughter has a birthday in a couple of weeks so I'm sure we'll have my grand daughter here for a weekend. That's my birthday present to her--letting her and her hubby have a weekend alone. I also need to plan a small Christmas shopping outing--I haven't done anything yet. My grand daughter expressed an interest in some My Little Pony magnet hair clips and we decided they'd be great for her very fine hair. While visiting the other kids, I realized those same clips would be great for the grand daughter out there. The rest of the shopping will probably be done at the bookstore.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season--we all just need to control our eating a tiny bit and we'll be fine.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Californiagirl, Happy Upcoming Birthday. Sounds like a real deal on the rental house. It will be so lovely there this time of year too.

I think it is great you lost those 5 lbs, with the halloween and Thanksgiving celebrations during the time you lost.

Gramanana, Glad you got to eat and not pay the price. That is probably your free ride for the holidays so take it easy on the Christmas goodies :) . You are so close to goal I am green with envy :bigsmile:

I am just glad when December ends as the days start to get longer again. I miss the long hours of daylight in the summers. While I adore autumn I am not a big fan of winter nor spring.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is well....and having a great build up to Christmas......... I have a few events to negotiate foodwise but hope to approach the new year still below 9 stones....... continuing my running and walking ......

All is good :flowerforyou:

Jean
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

Don't forget to do some dancing at those parties you are attending.

Found this good news about dancing:
    We've all heard by now that mental activities like reading and playing games can help to keep your brain sharp and even stave off dementia later in life. But, according to one study, so can dancing.

The findings, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, suggest that getting footloose on a regular basis is linked with a 76 percent reduction in dementia risk, about as much as playing board games or a musical instrument. Other physical activities, such as bicycling, walking and doing housework, weren't associated with any decreased risk.

Zumba anyone? :wink:
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Keep meaning to share these threads, this link is the most recent but the previous ones are stickies now, so at the beginning of this thread there are links to the others.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1128928-mfp-fitspiration
  • gramanana
    Options
    retirehappy--Waking used to be considered exercise for keeping the brain active, but evidently the science has changed. I'll start doing more dancing for sure! Niece up your way says it's very cold, so be sure to stay nice and warm.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    California girl have a great birthday. It's beautiful up here in Reno! More snow coming tonight! We will be minus 1 degree tomorrow morning when my granddaughter marches in the Christmas parade! I hope everyone has a blessed holiday!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Got a question for those of you that are still working.

How do you deal with all the junk food around the workplace? I have found myself being pretty nasty to some of the sugar pushers at my work place in the past. Seems that sugar equals love in the culture there. I am not a big sugar person in the first place, and frankly too many sweets in the air makes me nauseous.

So just wondering how can I deal with all that in a diplomatic as possible way?
  • ppaolini4340
    Options
    RetireHappy. I work in a large company office, Cube village if you will. This time of year, vendors are always sending goodie boxes of sweets that end up on a table in the hallway for everyone to share. I stay in my cube as much as possible and take the long way around for bathroom trips. And I pray everytime I leave my cube for more will power. Sometimes is works, Sometime the devil gets the best of me. Moderation is best. If something really looks good, I will take a very small piece just to satisfy my cravings. Its the time of the year for Good Will to all. Enjoy the season. Merry Christmas
  • gramanana
    Options
    I haven't been here much this month because between being away for Thanksgiving and then doing the Christmas shopping and getting stuff in the mail, I've been really busy.

I wanted to say that I'm not working now but I'm still having a problem with the sweets/chocolates in the house. Usually, I handle it well, but not now. For me, I wonder if it's because hubby is working a seasonal job and I'm having trouble distracting myself (LOL). Maybe I have to find a way to stay out of that cabinet. If you "working women" can do it, so can I.

Happy Holidays everyone.
  • retirehappy
    Options

I wanted to say that I'm not working now but I'm still having a problem with the sweets/chocolates in the house. Usually, I handle it well, but not now. For me, I wonder if it's because hubby is working a seasonal job and I'm having trouble distracting myself (LOL). Maybe I have to find a way to stay out of that cabinet. If you "working women" can do it, so can I.

Happy Holidays everyone.

My husband always tells me people get fat (including me!:huh: ) because of boredom and lack of imagination.

Got a nice crafting skill you can do instead of eating goodies? My biggest talent unfortunately is cooking. But I do try to come up with lower cal versions of things, but still they have to be eaten. I should get a sewing machine and make myself some smaller sized clothes.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Copied this off a website...

It doesn’t matter what you eat between Christmas and New Year…...it’s what you eat between New Year and Christmas that counts!

However, if you want your jeans to fit on New Year's Day follow our top tips to enjoying the festive season…..

1. Drink lots! For every alcoholic drink have a glass of water.

2. Think about it! Don’t just shove it in your face — make a conscious decision about that second mince pie. Make sure you’re enjoying the food you are eating, not just eating because it’s there.

3. Get outside! Step away from the TV and grab some fresh air. Try and do a little bit of exercise each day and you’ll have more energy than if you get too attached to the sofa.

Seriously though, enjoy Christmas with your family and friends, and don’t feel guilty about the mince pies or the glass of wine.

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    It doesn’t matter what you eat between Christmas and New Year…...it’s what you eat between New Year and Christmas that counts!

Love that one! Well worth repeating.

Happy Holidays everyone.