Hair loss and Hypothyroidism

Options
Hi all, hope all is well. First off I'd like to apologise if this has been posted before.

For a few months now, I've been experiencing an unusual amount of hair loss. I've always had SUPER thick hair, so it's quite worrying. I went to my doctor expressing my worry, and he literally turned his nose up at me, said it was normal and I'm probably just going through a cycle of somesort. I've had Hypothyroidism for just over a year and I've never had an issue with my hair, until a few months ago.

A month after this appointment - My hair is still falling out from the root. It's mainly at the top of my head, and around my crown. I'm scared to brush my hair and hate having a shower knowing clumps of hair will come out. I know I'm probably making it worse by worrying about my hair falling out, but I've already had to cut it all off once due to Trichotillomania so I don't wanna lose it again! :frown:

Any suggestions on what it could be? Should I have some blood tests done? Any advice would be great!

(P.S feel free to add me - Had an account named xSakura previously, rejoined today.)

Replies

• lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is a common symptom of hypothyroidism, considering you have only been diagnosed a year ago your medication might not be at a level that is right for you. Definetely get your T3-level (active thyroid hormon), T4 and TSH checked out, so that your meds can be adjusted. Is your doctor an endocrinologist? If not, he may not know a lot about this disease and you should think about changing doctors:)
  • xNicNak
    Options
    Thank you for the reply :smile: Just before I went to the doctors about my hair loss I was told my levels were absolutely fine and I was on the right level of meds, so I'm not sure if it's to do with my levels, but it's worth double checking I guess?

My doctor was an endocrinologist and assured me he was gonna help me (and did help me a great deal) but I've recently relocated so the search is on again. If it is just the case of being a side effect and nothing more, is there anything I can do to stop my hair falling out? :indifferent:
  • xNicNak
    Options
    Bump? :indifferent:
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be any number of things, not just hypothyroid. I have an excess of iron, no thyroid, only 20% of my stomach, low Vitamin D levels, and probably other things, but all of these things can cause hair loss, tiredness, etc. I just have to go from one doctor to the other with each checking my levels in thier specialty until we find out what is causing my symptoms.

So yours may be something besides your thyroid.
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    Hi!
    I've been Hypothyroid for 6 years now.
    I have had the same hairloss problem as you - going from a ponytail the size of a horse tail, to one the size of my ring finger. Quite concerning when you are removing a fistful of hair every morning!
    I just recently had a heart-to-heart with my Endo (who is considered the best in Western Canada) over my ongoing problem with lack of weight loss as well as the hair loss.
    I was sent for more blood tests. In Canada, we test only for HST as I am told that it is the most accurate for levels. 0.30 - 5.50 are in the normal range, but I came up at 4.46 - at the high end.
    The doctor told me that, in her experience, women do better when under 3.0. So, my Synthroid has been increased to 150 mcg.
    In just the 2 weeks since increasing my dose, my hair loss has reduced by at least half!
    I now have great hope that I can finally shed some of the pounds that I accumulated when I started taking these meds!

I wish you good luck with your search for answers!
  • xNicNak
    Options
    Thank you for the reply! I'm starting to think I'm definitely going to have to get my bloods done again, as much as i trust my previous Endo it wouldn't hurt just to make sure. As Shirley said it might not be linked to my thyroid at all, so either way I need some tests done.

I've also been feeling really down and my weight's not budged for quite some time, no matter what I do it's just not coming off. (Not sure if that's related but we'll soon see!)

Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I've also been put on a very low dose of Folic Acid (which should help with my depressive attitude :) ). Only 1 mg, but a body can never have enough of those B vitamins!
    I hope you get really great results, this time around.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Totally understand why you are worried. I agree with the suggestions to get your levels checked. Something might be off or your dose might not be right yet.
    I have been using Nioxin shampoo for a few months now. It isn't a cure, but I have found it definitely helped slow things down. Might be worth looking into.
    http://nioxin.com/en-US/products/product-system-kit-page.aspx?id=83