weight loss rate has slowed and i do not know why

Options
ive been under my cal goal set by mfp to lose 2lbs per week practically everyday ive been doing this (41 days today). first month i lost ~18lbs. the past 2 weeks ive only loss 5.6lbs. i know it is still good to be going down but this really has me bummed out. considering i need to lose over 200lbs to be in the "normal" range i figured at least the first 100lbs would come off in 6-7months but at this rate no way, no how.

btw only times i went over the goal limit it was usually by fewer than 100 cal and it has been very rare. only exception was thanksgiving i went over by about 500 cal.

my goal is 2480 and ive been under it numerous times by more than 350 cal.

so is this it? am i not going to lose as much as i expected?

Replies

• CapnDonkey
    CapnDonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Read up on adaptive thermogenesis. When you are big, like most of us here are/were, your body can adapt to a calorie deficit quickly, causing you to stay at the same weight even at a low calorie intake. I'm no doctor, but I saw my weight loss stall after losing 75 lbs, and even at a recalculated TDEE, I didn't lose a pound for 3 months. I read up on adaptive thermogenesis, made some adjustments, upped my cardio, and even though I gained weight over the last month, it seems to be all in muscles, since my measuring tape isn't showing any waist/hip/neck gain, only chest, arms, and calves. I've lost 4 lbs since thanksgiving by making some lifestyle changes and upping my gym work.

So yeah, read up on adaptive therm, and see what changes you can adapt to your own lifestyle. Other than that, just keep at it. Plateaus are normal, and they are HELLA discouraging, but you WILL bust through them with hard work and dedication.

You can do it!
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The captain's advice is sound, adaptive thermogenesis can slow fat loss (we are talking about a 10-15% slower metabolic rate, not a huge number though, and usually after some time), but before going there there are different aspects that have a major impact on your loss rate that you should consider, in my opinion.

First of all, your maintenance level: you used MFP calculations, but are you sure you correctly estimated your level of activity? Are you eating back your exercise calories? Keep in mind that MFP over-estimate calories burned by exercise.

Secondly, do you track and weight all - and I mean all - your food with a digital scale? 90% of the times (I'm not saying always) when there is a stall or a slow down in the weight loss rate it's because you are eating more than you think. A good post about this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

A bunch of good posts that anyone shoud read that can help understand many aspects of this process:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • tomsacct
    Options
    i dont log exercise. i just go with raw cal goal and try to be under it.
  • tomsacct
    Options
    thanks for the tips =)