Prayer while exercising

Options
jhmomofmany
jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
I am working to pray more regularly. I find it easy to work out daily so I thought to turn that into prayer time as well. It feels like cheating, though. Anybody else? How do you combine spiritual and physical exercise?

Replies

• moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    JP2 used to walk around the garden while he said the rosary. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me!
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    JP2 used to walk around the garden while he said the rosary. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me!

Couldn't agree more a walking rosary works well for me the combination of walking and simple rote prayer just seems to make body,mind and spirit all fall into sync...

There is a Book called the rosary workout had some great tips in it..
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    the Divine Office app works for me sometimes, while walking.
  • kimjutjor
    kimjutjor Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas. Thanks for the suggestions. Prayer and exercise are both definitely what I need more of and to combine them only makes sense. Never would have thought of it on my own.
  • Gidget2Jude
    Gidget2Jude Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have this really cool book. It is by a wonderful woman who used the Rosary and her exercise regimen to "Tend to Her Temple" and deepen her faith walk. I am just starting in on it but it is all about learning how to apply the Rosary and it's Mysteries to our lives.

http://www.rosaryworkout.com/

May God bless you on your journey!!
  • snowmoon13
    Options
    Any one interested in starting a rosemary workout group ... I am starting maintenance and would like to start working out more... it really doesn't matter where your at right now in terms of weight loss more about forming a group of supportive friends who wish to combine movement and prayer..

We can kick around some ideas and may do it in short challenges...
  • kimjutjor
    Options
    I would be interested!! I had planned to start doing an outside walk/run for 15 minutes while reciting the rosary using the "Mary" app on my phone on January 1st. It was a beautiful day during the day--up to 58 and sunny but by the time I was done tending to my father and home it was already under 35 degrees with a wind chill in the 20s. I opted out of it yesterday, but that is my plan for combining prayer and exercising. I do a lot of workout videos and have a treadmill in my living room so I don't often get outside to see nature's beauty while exercising so I think this is my solution to moving some exercise outside and increasing my prayer time. I would love to hear any other suggestions for it. I would like to do this as a refresher/cleanser of myself each evening and would love to have some sort of fellowship in this.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The rosary is a struggle for me. My mind wanders way too much. Being a good mom and trying to pray with the kids makes it that much more challenging. I can't really seem to meditate when I have sit down prayer time but while I am running it is easier to let my mind relax. I will be so glad when this cold snap is over and it is safe to go outside again!
  • kimjutjor
    Options
    Way too cold outside for me to start my outside Rosary walk/run each evening as I had planned on January 1st. Maybe by February 1st??? In the meantime, I am using the app called Mary on my iphone and praying along with the rosary on my way in to work. My commute is just about 1/2 mile longer than needed to complete that each day and so I took that as a sign from above.
  • snowmoon13
    Options
    great idea ...
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    I have found it quite useful in my own life to pray the Jesus prayer while exercising or another form of short prayer. After all we are asked to pray without ceasing. ;)
  • Lucky1016
    Options
    I am in the process of training for my first half marathon. A couple of my friends who ran the half wrote on their arm for each mile someone or something they are praying for and offering up that mile up for. Maybe for your workout try and offer it up and pray for someone or something that needs Jesus!
    Also, during my runs, I like to listen to Father Mike Schmitz podcasts. He is a priest that puts up his homilies on iTunes. They are long (anywhere from 15-30 min), but AWESOME! Usually the readings for the mass that he gave the homily are posted as well, so you can read them before your workout, listen to the homily during your workout, and meditate on the message and the Gospel for the remainder of your workout.
    Last but not least, you can never go wrong with a rosary :)
  • kimjutjor
    Options
    I am in the process of training for my first half marathon. A couple of my friends who ran the half wrote on their arm for each mile someone or something they are praying for and offering up that mile up for. Maybe for your workout try and offer it up and pray for someone or something that needs Jesus!
    Also, during my runs, I like to listen to Father Mike Schmitz podcasts. He is a priest that puts up his homilies on iTunes. They are long (anywhere from 15-30 min), but AWESOME! Usually the readings for the mass that he gave the homily are posted as well, so you can read them before your workout, listen to the homily during your workout, and meditate on the message and the Gospel for the remainder of your workout.
    Last but not least, you can never go wrong with a rosary :)
    I love the mile dedication idea and will definitely adopt that for all my future races. That gives so much more meaning to the goal and I sure could use that when running. . I am downloading a podcast from Father Mike now and hope to use it tomorrow during my indoor walk/run. Thanks for your suggestions.
    And my outdoor rosary walks/runs will not start February 1 as there is snow and ice on the ground and it won't be above freezing for the foreseeable future. So now shooting for starting March 1 with some spring renewal rosary walks/runs
  • IvanCasillas
    IvanCasillas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    http://www.hanm.org/product/4

I have this book. It consists of 1-2 page reflections and is a great way to offer up your workouts and sufferings for others and personal/spiritual growth. It really helps you put in that extra effort in your workouts. Justin Fatica is a very intense and motivated speaker who is big into working out. He even has DVD workouts. Must check it out! Id love to send you my book as Im almost done with it.
  • kimjutjor
    Options
    The weather is slowly turning acceptable for my outside walks/runs with the rosary and I have received my rosary workout book and will crack it soon to get this show on the road. Thank the Lord for the beautiful spring weather coming around the bend. Have a blessed weekend all!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I just joined the group and thought I would toss in my response.

I find when I'm walking that I can pray the rosary, although I sometimes find myself getting distracted. But for more intense exercises, such as the rowing machine, I find that I can't concentrate on the prayer and the exercise at the same time. When I've tried it feels like the prayer was just going through the motions.

I do like the podcast idea: you can listen without requiring the mental effort of counting decades or keeping the focus on a mystery or image.
  • blindmango
    blindmango Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm brand new, but here's why I joined this group:

Ever hear of a Hail Mary pass? When things feel particularly hopeless, we turn to Mary.

When the physical therapist is pushing on my knee (and I can't push back) and tears are running down, I started saying Hail Mary's. I don't count or think of anything. I just know that Mary understands. Jesus walked a lot and experienced physical pain. So I believe we can turn to God (through Mary or any other prayer) when things are too tough to even pray and God knows.Pray during exercise? We're trying to care for God's temple. What could be more appropriate? With intention, we are praying with our bodies, not just our minds.
  • kimjutjor
    Options
    Ok, I'm brand new, but here's why I joined this group:

Ever hear of a Hail Mary pass? When things feel particularly hopeless, we turn to Mary.

When the physical therapist is pushing on my knee (and I can't push back) and tears are running down, I started saying Hail Mary's. I don't count or think of anything. I just know that Mary understands. Jesus walked a lot and experienced physical pain. So I believe we can turn to God (through Mary or any other prayer) when things are too tough to even pray and God knows.Pray during exercise? We're trying to care for God's temple. What could be more appropriate? With intention, we are praying with our bodies, not just our minds.

I like your thought! Exercise is not just for us but for God too as we are taking care of His temple so that we can better serve Him. That may help me to get active when I am feeling that, with all I have to take care of, I am being selfish to do my exercises instead. Thanks for a new perspective.
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    We're supposed to "pray unceasingly" so I think that praying while you exercise is a great idea! St. Therese made every little thing she did a prayer - if it's good enough for her, I say do it :)
  • ginalovefire
    Options

Couldn't agree more a walking rosary works well for me the combination of walking and simple rote prayer just seems to make body,mind and spirit all fall into sync...

There is a Book called the rosary workout had some great tips in it..

This is an awesome idea! I walk my dog for about a half hour every day. I've been really neglecting my Rosary a lot. Really badly. And shame on me, because I run a website & facebook page that are trying to encourage 10% of America to pray a daily rosary. I'm really blowing that one.

Great incentive.