Still kind of new...

Options
Hi there,

I am new to the group and still pretty new to low carb. I have been researching, learning and low carbing since October 26, 2014... Almost 2 months!! I've had a couple of bad days, mainly one meal here or there that I had bread or something on the NO NO list. But overall, I am embracing the change! I lost 12 lbs, had a bad cheat weekend and gained a lot of it back, then dropped 5... so overall I am down 9lbs, which isn't bad for someone that has never stuck to a diet!

My biggest issue, is what to cook that will satisfy me! I am not doing NO carb, and am not sticking to any one "Brand Name" diet (South Beach or Atkins, although I am enjoying the Atkins "treat" items because I am a SUCKER for M&M's and the Atkins version isn't too terribly bad...) I've fallen head over heels in love with Cauliflower! There is so much I can do with it that makes me feel almost normal! Cauliflower mash with low carb meatloaf or Macafoni and Cheese! mmmm but those are starting to get a little boring. I constantly find myself Google searching Low Carb Recipes, but am still having some trouble... Anyone have any advice?

Thanks all! Any good luck on your journies! :happy:

Replies

• leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is amazing and I follow Primal specifically. I love cauliflower too. So many things you can do. I also love spaghetti squash. You can treat it like spagetti or macaroni (bake like mac and cheese) or even hash browns. Brown some in butter or bacon fat like you would hash browns and serve fried eggs over the instead of toast. I also do the same thing with shredded zuchhini. Squeeze the zucchini with a towel before you brown or saute. Good luck!
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    That's a really nice loss for 2 months! Congratulations!

I totally agree about cauliflower, it's great for so many things. Frozen or fresh Spinach is another great staple to have. I use it as a pasta replacement. Sometimes I use spaghetti squash or zucchini as a pasta replacement too. Another nice staple is shredded cabbage (cole slaw mix). I add to soups or salad or sometimes I put sesame oil and soy sauce in it and make an Asian slaw. You could look at regular recipes that look good and just replace the carbage with low carb alternatives.

When I don't feel like cooking I often get a chopped salad at Subway. Depending at what type of salad I get, I'll get either ranch or oil and vinegar or mayo (I get comments on this one sometimes) as the dressing. If you use a points card you get free salads every once in a while too which is nice.
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm kindof new to the Low Carb as well.. been at it for @ the same time as OP (@ 2months). I was looking for low carb receipes and found this website.

http://cavemanketo.com/

Hope this helps
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm new to low carb, too. I love cooking and baking. I really miss baking and sometimes get sad about changing that long term. I still cook a lot (I have a hubby and four kids to feed). But I miss some of my old recipes. I know I'll have to change my habits for good and what is helping me is getting low carb cookbooks and recipes from the internet. I guess I don't have any real advice, just try to find a variety of recipes you'll enjoy.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The only Atkins products I eat are the frozen dinners. They are pretty good. The Atkins bars stall me. With me, sugar alcohols act the same as sugar. My doctor does not allow me to count 'net carbs' because of this. I stall with any alcohol, actually. I'm glad you can enjoy the bars!
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Your doing great! In the beginning I was still looking for sweets and I would eat the Atkins chocolate bars but by 5 months in I stopped them because I realized one day that I really wasn't craving them anymore.

There are tons of low-carb recipe sites out there and someone recently asked for recommended sites here in this community so you might want to go thru some of past posts here. Yes, it does get boring at times, but I love to cook so if I don't have time during the week with working, I make time on the weekends to make up casseroles or crockpot or dutch oven so I have leftovers for the week. It takes time to get in the groove but it will happen and now that my first year is almost over since starting low-carb I can't think about eating any other way. Especially when you see the weight come off and you feel and look so much better - that's worth it's weight in GOLD. Keep truckin' along, you will get to your goal.
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A great blog that I follow is alldayidreamaboutfood.com It is a low carb and gluten free site. She has some fantastic recipes. I bought two of her cookbooks and they are super. She includes nutrition with her recipes so you know what the net carbs are. Really is a great resource for people like me who enjoy their baked goods.