Keto and BMR

Options
It's probably been covered somewhere but I didn't see it. I have been doing Keto the beginning of August and it is now the almost the end of December and I have only lost 30 pounds. Yes, 30 pounds is great but I feel like something isn't right. I'm 355 pounds the weight should be coming off faster?!? I lose 3 pounds, gain 2, lose 1, gain 2.

I do have some medical issues-PCOS, insulin resistance/pre-diabetes and a few others but the weight is not flying off like everyone says. My workouts are walking (4 miles in 40 minutes, give or take a few and now Rockin' Body-log it as Zumba, or bike riding)

My BMR is 2336 and TDEE is 3621. My macros are 70%fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs.

If anyone has any ideas on what I could do or try to get this ball rolling I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food? If you open your diary I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Low carb/keto or not weight loss is going to come down to calories -- what makes keto so effective is that it suppresses your appetite and makes a calorie deficit seem effortless. And when people eat a low calorie diet because they're just not hungry that's when you'll see the big losses.

Weigh your food and be super strict with logging your calories for a month and see what your weight does. If you're not losing as fast as you want to at that point you know you need to cut your calories even further. If you don't count calories and aren't looking to start Diet Doctor has a nice series of articles for people not losing weight eating a low carb diet that might help. Best wishes. :smile:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree that opening your journal would really help to give ideas of what might be holding you back. I started mid-October and eat anywhere from 1200-1800 calories a day a try to stay below 20 net carbs a day.

You can add me as a friend and check out my journal if you like! I'm pretty repetitive, but it works best for me to have a routine, :)
  • Gnaterlie
    Options
    Ok, my diary is opened sorry about that. The last few days have been horrible. I kinda gave up. I'm guessing now that BMR has no place in the keto world? I stalled before and learned about it and when I upped my calories I started loosing again. Total confusion!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I still use bmr/tdee as my guideline. Have you refigured yours since you've lost the 30 (awesome job btw ;)) I'm thinking the up and own is probably water weight and you could possibly be dealing with PISS right now. Don't give up!
    From r/keto
    2. Post-Induction Stall Syndrome (PISS): Water and glycogen find a new balance and this causes a stall or even weight gain, which lasts for a week or two. Relax, PISS is both normal and temporary.

I've seen comments and posts about PISS lasting for a month or two followed by a whoosh.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/fkpc9/why_we_plateau_and_what_to_do_about_it/

Eta: I'm sorry for some reason I thought you had stalled. I'll leave the info up for others. If you haven't refigured your bmr, I would start there. I haven't had any big drops in weight either. I have been consistently losing .5-1.5 pounds a week, except when I'm dealing with my cycle. I know it gets frustrating, especially when you're seeing others post great numbers, but I'm just grateful to be losing anything at this point.