Body fat percentage

Options
I hit my goal weight today! I also met with a personal trainer this morning. He had me use one of those hand held things to get my bf%, which put me at 30%. He said he would put me more in the mid to upper 20's...he may have just been trying to be nice though... Anyway, I realize this is on the upper side of acceptable for a female. When I first started this process that was my goal, I just wanted to be of normal weight. However, now I want more. I would like to get in lower 20s. Does this mean I have to continue eating at a deficit or can I do this while eating at maintenance and lifting?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you might be able to slowly reduce bodyfat eating at maintenance but I don't generally recommend it as it's not as efficient as cutting.

If you're wiped out from long term dieting, consider taking a couple of weeks at maintenance as sort of a diet-break and then reintroduce the calorie deficit to cut again.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you might be able to slowly reduce bodyfat eating at maintenance but I don't generally recommend it as it's not as efficient as cutting.

If you're wiped out from long term dieting, consider taking a couple of weeks at maintenance as sort of a diet-break and then reintroduce the calorie deficit to cut again.

I was afraid you would say that. :frown: I've ate at a deficit for so long now that it's not a big deal. I was just looking forward to seeing what impact adding calories would have on my lifting. I'm scared if I go to maintenance and then try to cut again it would be harder than just continuing. I've been eating around 1650, which is TDEE less 20%. What if I switch to 90%, which would give me apx. 200 more calories per day?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I was afraid you would say that. :frown: I've ate at a deficit for so long now that it's not a big deal. I was just looking forward to seeing what impact adding calories would have on my lifting. I'm scared if I go to maintenance and then try to cut again it would be harder than just continuing. I've been eating around 1650, which is TDEE less 20%. What if I switch to 90%, which would give me apx. 200 more calories per day?

Those hand help devices are horribly inaccurate.

That being said though, if you have a decent amount of fat you want to lose, I agree with SideSteel that continuing to cut (after a possible break) is usually the best way to go.

Regarding your intake question - how much weight have you been losing per week on average on the 1,650?

Re diet breaks - they actually can 're-energize' your dieting...it really depends on the individual though.
  • christianteach
    Options

That being said though, if you have a decent amount of fat you want to lose, I agree with SideSteel that continuing to cut (after a possible break) is usually the best way to go.

Regarding your intake question - how much weight have you been losing per week on average on the 1,650?

Re diet breaks - they actually can 're-energize' your dieting...it really depends on the individual though.

I don't know how much fat I have left to lose but I don't like what I see in the mirror yet, at least without clothes on.

Over the past 5 weeks, I've lost an average of 1 lb. per week and that's with one day over 3K and another over 4K, not including Thanksgiving or the day after when I didn't even log. I tend to have one day a week where I eat whatever I want for one meal. I typically log these calories and I usually end up around 1800-2000 that day. Would that be like taking a weekly break from dieting? We will be going on a cruise toward the end of Feb. I will take a diet break that week. :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Oop - bumping to the top as we missed the follow on question.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I don't know how much fat I have left to lose but I don't like what I see in the mirror yet, at least without clothes on.

Over the past 5 weeks, I've lost an average of 1 lb. per week and that's with one day over 3K and another over 4K, not including Thanksgiving or the day after when I didn't even log. I tend to have one day a week where I eat whatever I want for one meal. I typically log these calories and I usually end up around 1800-2000 that day. Would that be like taking a weekly break from dieting? We will be going on a cruise toward the end of Feb. I will take a diet break that week. :bigsmile:

Hey,

Having taken a look at your information (Sara will be sending you a bf estimate) we would like you to consider the following:

Take a diet break for 1 week during the holidays.
    Resume your calorie deficit until 1 week before your cruise.
    Take a diet break the week leading up to your cruise and the week of the cruise.
    Resume your calorie deficit after the cruise and re-evaluate your physique when you've dropped roughly another 10lbs from now.

You may gain a couple of lbs during diet breaks. It may be a combination of bloating, increased food volume, possibly minor gains in fat, but don't worry about it. Weight will come back down fast.
  • christianteach
    Options

Hey,

Having taken a look at your information (Sara will be sending you a bf estimate) we would like you to consider the following:

Take a diet break the week leading up to your cruise and the week of the cruise.
    Resume your calorie deficit after the cruise and re-evaluate your physique when you've dropped roughly another 10lbs from now.

You may gain a couple of lbs during diet breaks. It may be a combination of bloating, increased food volume, possibly minor gains in fat, but don't worry about it. Weight will come back down fast.

Thank you so much! I think I can handle a diet break from Christmas to New Years since you insist! :bigsmile: Taking one the week before my cruise is scary...I will be wearing a two piece in front of people!! :blushing: But if that's what you two think is best, I will take another diet break then.

Thanks again for all your help! You two are the best!!! :flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    Options

Hey,

Thank you so much! I think I can handle a diet break from Christmas to New Years since you insist! :bigsmile: Taking one the week before my cruise is scary...I will be wearing a two piece in front of people!! :blushing: But if that's what you two think is best, I will take another diet break then.

The reason we are suggesting that you start the diet break a week prior to vacation is that it isn't usually a good idea to go into a vacation straight from a big deficit. It's not arbitrarily bad in all cases but sometimes people can go on a diet, then go straight to vacation and basically binge.
  • christianteach
    Options

Hey,

The reason we are suggesting that you start the diet break a week prior to vacation is that it isn't usually a good idea to go into a vacation straight from a big deficit. It's not arbitrarily bad in all cases but sometimes people can go on a diet, then go straight to vacation and basically binge.

Oh, I see. I have had two cruises already since beginning this in Feb. (spring break and summer) I only gained about 5 lbs. on them and lost the weight quickly (a week or two) upon returning home. I didn't binge either time. I think most of my weight gain was from alcohol and desserts. It may seem trivial but I always take the stairs everywhere I go on the ship and hit the gym a few times. This cruise will be longer than the other though, it's an 8 day so I may gain a little more.
  • christianteach
    Options

Hey,

I decided to take that diet break from now through Christmas because of holiday baking, birthday dinners, etc. Do I eat at maintenance or not count calories at all?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^^that is really an individual preference and they both have their pro's and con's.

The advantage of tracking is data and the ability to monitor and adjust intake and macros. However, it's a PITA, especially over the holidays. Having a week of no tracking can be a welcome relaxation. I would probably go that route if it were me and just keep an eye on your intake. Make sure you do not go too crazy and make sure you get a good amount of protein dense foods.
  • christianteach
    Options
    ^^that is really an individual preference and they both have their pro's and con's.

The advantage of tracking is data and the ability to monitor and adjust intake and macros. However, it's a PITA, especially over the holidays. Having a week of no tracking can be a welcome relaxation. I would probably go that route if it were me and just keep an eye on your intake. Make sure you do not go too crazy and make sure you get a good amount of protein dense foods.

I was hoping you would say this!!! :bigsmile: Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking so we can track active threads better. Please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel when you want to update, and include a link to this thread, and we will unlock it.
This discussion has been closed.