The Rules of biking

Options
Austinetc
Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
If you haven't been there yet, go to this site: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Now, granted, these Rules were written for a different breed of cat than those of us on MFP. But they are still fun.

My question is simply, which ones are your favorite? I like 6 and 10. 28 is good too.

Replies

• verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I like #6 but at about 14 I really knew we have it all screwed up across the pond (USA) and at 25 is when I starting thinking, yeah, right and shortly after that it went south as we say here. 27 is just plain silly. 29, what? you have a bike shop on every corner to fix all your flats? #32 sealed the deal - the writers are pain loving idiots. I hope they like spending all their time recovering from dehydration. And 33 - well excuse me for liking a hairy leg.- someone has to have the hair to generate the warmth for the night. About this time, its gone over my head...... Don't follow these rules in the US - its still the wild wooly west over here despite all the wanna be Armstrongs.
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Some of them are absolutely silly, on either side of the pond. But some also need to be understood, which can take a while. 29, for example, means that tools should be carried in the rider's pockets. Reduces drag and saves on weight. Still silly, but understandable. If you're racing. It's pretty clear that there are a lot more racers in Europe.

A lot of it is tongue in cheek. 64 is very funny.
  • gajones02
    gajones02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to abide by #10.

I often have to revert to #5.

I've had these bookmarked for a long time.

I do use SPD pedals on road bikes, so I commit a major violation quite regularly.:wink:
  • popflying
    Options
    "Rule 12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1." :laugh: currently in that position right now, thinking about buying a commuter bike this summer after I move. Hoping to find an apartment close work and ride when I can.

58 is cool, but I just have a couple of good bike shops nearby and I love them all.

Also love 6.... I love the feeling of calm and fun I get on rides. Great on days when I feel like I couldn't live if I got away from the computer/internet for more than 15 minutes. Bad habits die hard...
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I live by #5 because if I didn't, I would need more than this site. As I would be as large a house.
  • drapisking
    drapisking Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As an endurance racer the only rule that matters is #5. It's actually kept me going on more than one occasion, at 3am with a broken saddle in nasty mud it's a rather comforting thing to meditate on .
  • blkpag1
    blkpag1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I accomplished number 9 this morning - 30 degrees and wet/ice! Brisk!!!
  • CharbyOttawa
    CharbyOttawa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Rule 38 is my favourite. Train Properly: if you get passed by someone, it is nothing personal, just accept that on the day/effort/ride they were stronger than you. If you can’t deal, work harder. But don’t go playing leap frog to get in front only to be taken over again (multiple times) because you can’t keep up the pace. Especially don’t do this just because the person overtaking you is a woman. Seriously. Get over it.

See my earlier post in another thread about passing a team of matching douches twice during my morning commute while loaded with saddlebags.