Christmas Dinner?

Options
Rozydreams
Rozydreams Posts: 29 Member
Just curious what's on everyone's menu?

I've got one vegetarian, one vegan and 3 SAD's coming for dinner. It was a challenge to plan!

Turkey
Roasted Brussel Sprouts (would have been better with bacon)
Mashed Yams
Green Beans with toasted almonds and coconut oil
Strawberry Avocado Salad with toasted walnuts
Potato's for Dad- he is Irish
Stuffed Quinoa Peppers (thank you vegan friend for bringing!)

Dessert was tough! no dairy or eggs!

Home made Paleo Ginger Snaps
Frozen Mixed Berries with Coconut Whipped Cream
Pumpkin Pie Fudge

Wine and Whisky!

Merry Christmas!

Replies

• Rozydreams
    Options
    I guess everyone is fasting lol
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Dessert was tough! no dairy or eggs!

Home made Paleo Ginger Snaps
    Frozen Mixed Berries with Coconut Whipped Cream
    Pumpkin Pie Fudge

Wine and Whisky!

Merry Christmas!

I'm sure the wine and whiskey helped make everyone a little more tolerant! But kidding aside, that sounds like a wonderful, accommodating menu. Making a paleo-vegan-SAD friendly, Christmas dinner is a feat--but it sounds like you were up to the challenge.

I'm the guest this year. I just told the hosts that I avoid wheat (to avoid a vegetarian pasta dish as the main course. That has happened to me before!) but otherwise, I told them not to go to any special trouble. I can usually pick and choose enough to feel satisfied. As long as they have enough wine, I'm sure I'll be fine ;-)
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Sounds yummy!

We are having a slow cooker roasted chicken, maple glazed brussels sprouts, cauliflower biscuits and bacon collard greens. :)
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    A bit of a challenge but you did well!
    It's summer here and I did an almost completely primal menu for my entirely non primal family and they didn't suspect a thing!!

Natural cured and smoked ham with a glaze made from apricots, mustard, 5 spice and cointreau (wee bit of brown sugar in there too!)
    A huge side of salmon that I smoked on the BBQ
    Chicken breasts stuffed with pistachios and cranberries soaked in orange juice, wrapped in bacon
    Big green salad with yellow cherry tomatoes, peppers, red onion etc and herby homemade mayo
    Fresh green beans, carrots and courgettes tossed in a lemon, garlic and thyme butter
    New potatoes tossed in parsley and lemon butter (I skipped those)
    Kumara (sweet potato) salad with a curry mayo dressing and packed with lots of toasted walnuts, orange, celery, bacon etc

Dessert - fresh picked raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and boysenberries with cream.
    Everyone loved it and some came overfor a second feed today! Dinner was for 13 but I think I cooked for 30 ;-)
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Above post sounds similar to ours....

Natural cured ham with a maple syrup, fresh orange, mustard glaze
    Cranberry sauce (maple syrup)
    Mashed turnips
    Roasted Brussels sprouts (nitrate free pancetta)
    Steamed green beans
    Green salad with veggies (lemon-oil dressing)

Dessert - non for me. Made pineapple upside down cake for family.
  • Rozydreams
    Options
    Wow! YUMMY!!! Great idea's here. It's fun sneaking in primal meals that no one notices lol. well 'cept the vegetarians hard to sneak it past them haha

The paleo ginger snaps were very dry and the pumpkin fudge was not fudgy at all def won't make those again. oh well....
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    We had a delicious meal.
    roast beef
    roast potatoes
    asparagus
    roast brussel sprouts with bacon
    mashed potatoes
    rolls (yes, I ate some and they were soooo yummy ;) of course yesterday I had some gas as a result...not so yummy)

for dessert we had a totally not primal Dutch apple pie and ice cream. I had to work on Christmas Eve so that made baking a more paleo friendly treat a hassle.