Am I the only idiot?

Options
Hi all
My training plan said five miles fast 9:30-8:35 min miles, (that is fast for me) so when I got up it was blowing a gale and the rain was coming in horizontal. I looked out and decided to be sensible, after all there's always another day. I had some breakfast and settled down in my armchair. I couldn't do it. Ten minutes later I'm changed and ready to go, it's too wet to run my normal trails so I set off on my 5.55 mile, circular road route. (My PB on this route is averaging 8:34 min miles) The first couple of miles, once I had warmed up a bit, were good, the wind and rain were at my back and I wondered what all the fuss had been about. I then turned and started into the wind and rain. This was not so good but once you're wet you can't get any wetter, so it was all about getting my head down and keeping up some kind of form, especially on the uphill finish. So I did it at an average pace of 8:45.
Question am I the only idiot who would run in very bad weather? What do you do on bad weather days?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You are certainly not the only one. One of my goals for 2013 was to run zero miles on the treadmill. So far, I have accomplished that goal and I have not missed one single scheduled workout all year and I've probably taken around 50 rest days all year.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't tolerate is >15MPH winds + chill. I'm fortunate to have an indoor track so I completely avoid the treadmill. I've only hit the track twice this year though. Never was a fan of those to begin with, but if you gotta do it to move, then by all means. My worst run was 90min in -20 windchill. My facemask was frozen stiff and my eyelids would freeze up and take effort to open up. One thing about that run is that it made everything else seem like cake.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Nope. Wicked wind chills today. That said if I had access to a track today (I am out of town and the one nearby closed today and tomorrow) I would have run inside.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me indoors is lightening (and tornado warnings) and usually I can wait for an hour and it will move on. I will tell myself it's stupid to go run in <Insert awful weather scenario here> but will feel guilty for not running and will go out.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I tell a story: I used to play in a pick-up soccer game on Saturday mornings. Well, this one Saturday we were in the middle of a summer, heat wave -- days of 110 degrees F and above. But, it was my soccer day. I looked forward to it. So I went, even though it was about 90-95 degrees F at game time , and climbing fast. Though I went out, I half suspected that everyone else was gonig to be reasonable and would stay home. I figured I'd be like Charlie Brown and his rained out baseball game -- that is, the only guy standing in the middle of an empty field.
    But I was wrong, so wrong. Everyone showed up. We played about 15 minutes and then we had to stop. But, no of us, it seemed, could stay away.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    To the OP: kudos for being hardcore, I wouldnt call you an idiot :) Some runners obviously prefer to run in the elements and loathe the TM.

I personally have no qualms running on the TM on bad weather days. I also enjoy running on the TM while watching Blue Jackets hockey when they are on the road. (Yesterday I ran 13 miles while watching the the final 2 periods of the Blue Jackets beating the Carolina Hurricanes!)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't frozen rain or a thunderstorm, I will go out in the rain. But if it is either of the other two I will just shift the day to strength or do a crosstraining session on an elliptical or spin. I hate treadmills lol.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm an idiot too! I went out the other day, 35F, raining, 17mph winds. I had fun. I was out a couple of weeks ago, 20F, 25MPH winds, climbing toward 39MPH when it was time to head back in. Figured out how to reduce my wind exposure on that one by running under a ridge instead of on top like normal, which helped.

I usually head to the dreadmill because work demands don't allow a proper outdoor run. The weather that sends me inside is high pollen, particularly ragweed. I'm highly allergic and it is a big trigger for my asthma. I perfer the dreadmill to death.

Interesting observation, on my super cold windy runs, I see more men out then women. On sorta cold rainy runs, I see more women then men.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near OP and Carson yet. But I did run in 17 degree cold weather this morning. Next time I am running in warmer pants. That is all I am gonna say. Lol
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I will run in anything. I ran in the pouring rain last weekend and the weekend before in snow. The day before was a snow storm and that day it was very cold 20 degrees with 20 mph along lake Erie. I try and dress accordinaly but I still use the treadmill for time crunch days. What I don't like running in is in the dark at night alone.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Depends... I live in Northern CA, so my opinion of "bad weather" is relative. It never gets *that* bad here. Most of the races I register for are local-ish, so the way I see it, when I encounter bad weather, I look at it as an excellent training opportunity. My main goal during races is to not be miserable, so if the weather isn't so great on race day and I know I've trained in worse, mentally I feel a lot better. Having said that, the worst I really ever encounter is heavy rain... There was one run that I did (about a year ago, actually) where I nearly ran into a ~7ft wall of water gushing out the side of this drainage pipe along the trail I run (it was dark). So, change in course and all was fine.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    All in...all the time now. Trying to work in a good sneaker rotation for bad weather is the hard part for me. Prefer to start running with dry shoes even if I know they are going to get wet.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It depends because when I plan to run and am ready to go it's hard not to run. I'm in Los Angeles,CA so I'm lucky in that I only have to deal with rain. As long as I have all my gear I'm running. I don't think I could do it in the snow or windy cold.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Generally when I run or bike outside on a windy day, if it is feasible, I try to run into the wind on the first half and then half the wind at my back to return to my starting point. But when you factor in low temperature and/or precipitation, it's just going to be a challenging workout.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nope! I ran 11 miles around Manhattan the day Hurricane Sandy was rolling in. I've done runs with windchills of 6F, I run in pouring rain, snow. I refuse to run on a treadmill.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    wind is the only thing I dont really like. rain or snow I'm out there.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm from Québec. If I wouldn't run in bad weather, I wouldn't run half of the time. But there's not alot of runners on the streets around here these days haha

But I love being a badass :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't run in rain, but that's it. I have some kind of irrational fear about getting hit in the face with rain.

I live it CT and it gets friggin cold...no problem with running in that.